Peugeot Mi16 Misfire #2
  • Help

Default Peugeot Mi16 Misfire #2

Like Ceenie, I have a series 2 Mi16 which has had the engine out and the head off etc. Was going fine but recently has developed and intermittent miss. Mostly when the engine is hot, worse when pulling at revs below 3000. Above 4000 revs it will pull without miss at full throttle through the revs. At cruising speed on the flat highway it runs smoothly. Thought it might be fuel starvation so changed the fuel filter without effect. This morning I thought I had lost another coil so changed one again without any effect. It seems to be getting worse over time.

I had a similar problem with an early 1.9 405 which I eventually fixed by replacing the ECU. I will try to source a replacement ECU tomorrow but does anyone have any other good ideas?

I guess old electronics are going to be the death of these cars long before they die mechanically. Old capacitors, degraded, cracked plastic insulation etc.

Advertisement

Trevor

Had the ECU out and opened it up on the weekend. No evidence of water ingress. Slight electrical burn smell but even on close inspection I could not see any evidence of overheating anywhere. No electrolytic Caps to fail either. It all looked clean and in good nick.

So I wait for the diagnostic checks in a week or so.

Trevor

Tadpole

What fuel are you running it it? I have had some Mi16's that I bought that did this and the owners were using 91 Ron or the so called 98 premium ethanol blend. Both will give you grief. I hope I am not telling you to suck eggs here?

Default Re: Peugeot Mi16 Misfire #2

Mine had a similar fault but it was a pretty big Miss, I ended up changing the tdc sensor. The problem went away, I had this on both my series one and two cars
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

check the ign leads. Mak sure they are not resting on an engine component and shorting through the old (maybe perished) insulation
    ....now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner!

Problem solved!
    On Wednesday last week I took the coil cover off the car to see if I could figure which cylinder was missing and noticed that No 4 was not only not firing very well at idle but was also making a pht sound as though it was leaking somehow. Puzzled, I removed the spark plug to find that it had a loose insulator that was able to move up and down about 2 mm in the threaded base. I had had a tick in the engine since I rebuilt it last year and had assumed that I had a sticky cam follower. I had replaced the Bosch Plus 4 spark plugs that had done about 100000km without problems with a new set of Bosch Platinum Ir Fusion plugs when I rebuilt the engine. They cost $80 for four but happened to be on sale for $60 at Supercheap the day I bought them.
    Sent an email to Bosch support on Wednesday after finding this plug and got a reply to take them back for exchange or refund and they would be returned for quality control.
    Drove the car Thursday with one of the old Plus 4 plugs replacing the loose one but forgot to put the coil cover on. the car ran variably during the day but not too badly on the way home. Tried again to determine which ones were the most problem and noticed that No 2 sounded like it was arcing most of the time not just as I lifted the coil to see what effect it had. Decided to pull out all the plugs to take back for refund.. I was astounded to find that No 2 and No 3 both had short centre electrodes with associated huge gaps. This was why No 2 had been arcing.
    I had not considered the spark plugs as a cause of all the missing problems because they were a brand new set of expensive plugs from a "quality" manufacturer. Of the four 3 were duds - two with short centre electrodes and huge gaps and one with a loose insulator..
    Replaced them with a set of barely used NGK plugs that I guess I had pulled out of the engine when I put the Plus 4s in 5 years ago and it ran like a dream on Friday. What a relief!
    Took the Bosch plugs to Supercheap ( luckily I still had the reciept ) and they were happy to give me a refund or swap. So I decided to go with a set of NGK Iridium plugs at just over $20 each and they gave them to me for what the discounted Bosch plugs had cost. Great service I reckon. Have not got around to fitting them yet but hope and expect a better run out of them..

Now I just need to replace the rear shocks - Lip - which have really crapped out in the last little while after only 3 years and the centre muffler which has a crack in it..

Trevor.
    Last edited by trevhoare; 4th March 2013 at 12:37 AM.

Thread Information