Trying to get 404 running!
  • Help

Default Trying to get 404 running!

Finally I managed to gain ample access to my 404 sedan ( the one that is for sale) after removing all the junk sitting on top of it and around it. I drained the tank and put 4 and a half litre plus of fresh fuel in. I also put in a new Ryco Z14 fuel filter (maybe not the right one?). I poured a small amount of fuel direct into the carby and she started to run fairly quickly but died as quickly. Fuel is going into the filter so the fuel pump is working, me thinks. I also sucked the hose coming from the pump going into the carby and got a mouthful of fuel. Anyway, she will not run now at all. From memory I did cleaned the carby a long time ago, but before I do that again, is there somewhere else I should look first?

Advertisement

She might have the filter blocked in the fuel fitting on the carb or a stuck needle in the seat or a heap of crud in the fuel bowl. Or blocked jets from crud.

Quote Originally Posted by stew View Post
    She might have the filter blocked in the fuel fitting on the carb or a stuck needle in the seat or a heap of crud in the fuel bowl. Or blocked jets from crud.
    Thank you Stew, but what is crud? Rubbish I suppose. I must say that the old fuel filter was putrid and filled with muck!.

1000+ Posts

If you're getting fuel to the fuel pump, have you checked the fuel delivery at the carburettor? With the air cleaner off, you should be able to operate the throttle by hand and see fuel squirting down the carby throat. If you can't see or hear that, then the blockage is between the pump and that point.

If the hose is old, it's possible that it's deteriorated to the extent it's blocked the inline filter.
    1998 Peugeot 406 D8SV Manual
    1999 Peugeot 406 D8ST Auto
    2002 Peugeot 406 D9SV Manual
    1994 Peuegot 306 N3 Cabriolet Manual
    1994 Peugeot 306 XR N3 Hatch
    1995 Peugeot 505 GTI executive
    1976 Peugeot 504 Sedan - Now sold

Over 60 Pugs in my time
    Gerry Mullock

Yeah, bits of rust, hose, detrius, corrosion, s##t. Crud!

Got around to take the carby of the 404 sedan to day and found a lot of gunk everywhere. Might get a new needle and seat for it as at times it won't move as I turned in up side down.

Thread Information