205GTI crankshaft
  • Help

Default 205GTI crankshaft

I had a crankshaft linished and my machinist (a good professional I have used in the past) assures me everything is good to go. There is however something I have not seen before. One of the journals has a slight depression (less than 1 thou I think he said it was) in the middle. The sides are to standard size, but I wonder if this may be a problem. Anyone had any experience with something like this?

Advertisement

Right now I don't have the block home to be able to measure the depression exactly with platigauge, but I will have it soon and will do a test.

Related to this, if I have the crank ground down say one thou, would I be able to find shells for it?
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

You're kidding yourself if you think you can accurately measure a crankshaft defect with plastigauge. For the sake of approx. $200, why wouldn't you get the crankshaft reground? Silly money not to spend considering the cost of the parts of rebuilding an engine, not to mention the time. Normal sizes are either std. or 0.3mm undersize. However, there are more options through ACL, such as 0.5mm and 0.8mm.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

I don't intend to measure it accurately. Just wanted to check if it is indeed possible to regrind without going too much undersize.

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

VIP Sponsor

The idea is to grind the crank to the next standard size, why only 1 thou?
    In any case just do what the guy suggests and use the crank as is.
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    I had a crankshaft linished and my machinist (a good professional I have used in the past) assures me everything is good to go. There is however something I have not seen before. One of the journals has a slight depression (less than 1 thou I think he said it was) in the middle. The sides are to standard size, but I wonder if this may be a problem. Anyone had any experience with something like this?

Right now I don't have the block home to be able to measure the depression exactly with platigauge, but I will have it soon and will do a test.

Related to this, if I have the crank ground down say one thou, would I be able to find shells for it?

I'll take a print with engineers' blue and post a picture to show what I am talking about.

I try to keep cranks as close as possible to standard if I can that is why I only asked for a linish.

Default 205GTI crankshaft

Out of round is out of round. I really can't see the point of using a known sub-standard crank.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
    Out of round is out of round. I really can't see the point of using a known sub-standard crank.
    It's not out of round. You'll see what I mean in the pictures.

Thread Information