Restoring a dauphine and registration, WA
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default Restoring a dauphine and registration, WA

This has probably been covered elsewhere, if someone can find the thread I'll add to that, didn't want to hijack the current 2cv thread.

About to launch into my Dauphine project and realised the car hadn't been registered for at least 20 years. Would like to the do the usual mods like install seat belts, disc brakes and trailing arms. I figure that most of them will slip thru unnoticed.

Relocating the fuel tank from under the car to in front of the engine and the radiator to the front of the car might also slip through.

Advertisement

Also the providence of the car might seem a little vague because the car was sold to me unregistered and in bits.

What are the issues I'm likely to face? I want it on full rego, too.

P
    Daily Drivers: R10, R12, R17T(?) Decouvrable

In the Shed(s):
    R8 (1.4 motor, 4 shock rear end), Dauphine, Pugeot 404

In the Past:
    Dauphine X2, R10 X lots, R12 X2, R16TS, R17TS

It might possibly "slip through", but of course the problems come if the car is in an accident. Insurance could be interesting without a mod plate defining the mods and showing they are engineer approved.

I think a talk to one of the mod engineers beforehand to be a sensible idea. Quite often a few hundred dollars is all they charge to have it all approved with a mod plate. Could save a lot of hassle in the long run.

All the mods on my 4CV are approved, although I did have to do extra things I hadn't considered to get it through, like the dual circuit brakes, collapsible steering column, windscreen washers, at least 2 speed wipers, and so on.
    '56 Renault 4CV (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '82 Renault Fuego GTX
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '02 and '03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee+

Quote Originally Posted by Exfrogger View Post
    This has probably been covered elsewhere, if someone can find the thread I'll add to that, didn't want to hijack the current 2cv thread.

About to launch into my Dauphine project and realised the car hadn't been registered for at least 20 years. Would like to the do the usual mods like install seat belts, disc brakes and trailing arms. I figure that most of them will slip thru unnoticed.

Relocating the fuel tank from under the car to in front of the engine and the radiator to the front of the car might also slip through.

Also the providence of the car might seem a little vague because the car was sold to me unregistered and in bits.

What are the issues I'm likely to face? I want it on full rego, too.

P
    Apart from agreeing with Alan completely, perhaps speak to some of the locals. In my experience in Perth, the rego people are completely inconsistent in what they want when a car goes over the pits and don't know or understand their own regulations. And they have no knowledge of old French cars.

So, it will probably pass if:

1. You look respectable
    2. The car looks respectable
    3. The car doesn't look modified
    4. There are no drips of oil anywhere
    5. There are absolutely no knocks, clicks or slop in steering and suspension
    6. All the lights work and the horn too
    7. You are humble
    8. By chance you get the right inspector.

I have stories I wouldn't write here.... Both acceptance and rejection ones.

When I first had the 4CV registered in Perth, I expected trouble and took it for inspection to find out what more they wanted, and to my complete amazement it passed. It was sound but dripping a bit.... Still the same.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

1000+ Posts

Thanks guys,

The mods will be subtle and some of them may have appeared on one model or another over the years so I'm not sweating on that.

What I am worried about is the fact that I bought the car in bits from a bloke who bought the car unregistered many many moons before that. The receipt was written on the back of an envelope... well you get the drift. To my knowledge the car was once registered to here in WA but the last owner of the car when it was registered, I believe, died some years back.

Now it may be a stolen vehicle and I may unwittingly be in the process of re-birthing it but honestly I doubt it. What I need to do is ensure that I don't spend a lot of time and money on a project that will cause a world of woe when done.

All the best

P
    Last edited by Exfrogger; 1st February 2013 at 11:57 PM.
    Daily Drivers: R10, R12, R17T(?) Decouvrable

In the Shed(s):
    R8 (1.4 motor, 4 shock rear end), Dauphine, Pugeot 404

In the Past:
    Dauphine X2, R10 X lots, R12 X2, R16TS, R17TS

Thread Information