Spanners or nut tighteners.... :-))
  • Help
    bob
    1000+ Posts

Default Spanners or nut tighteners.... :-))

G'day,

came across this site detailing jaw openings for various "standard nuts", you often see thread tables but not many of these. Interesting.

Advertisement

http://www.sat.dundee.ac.uk/~psc/spanner_jaw.html

also the observation there "It is a common view that the odd Whitworth/BS spanner sizes are 'illogical' and that the newer metric system is much more 'logical', but consider this: To cover 1/4" to 3/4" in both fine (BSF) and coarse (BSW) threads, the British system defines 9 diameters and requires 9 spanners (or 10 if you also include the original large head Whitworth sizes as well). The UNF/UNC system defines 8 diameters for the same range but requires 11 spanners. For the broadly equivalent range in metric of M6 to M18 using all the common metric standards in use, there are 8 diameters defined but a total of 15 spanners are required! (i.e. 69% more spanners per diameters than the British system). Is this progress?"

cheers,
    Bob

UFO

Irrelevant in my garage. No non metric nuts and bolts to deal with
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    G'day,

came across this site detailing jaw openings for various "standard nuts", you often see thread tables but not many of these. Interesting.

http://www.sat.dundee.ac.uk/~psc/spanner_jaw.html

also the observation there "It is a common view that the odd Whitworth/BS spanner sizes are 'illogical' and that the newer metric system is much more 'logical', but consider this: To cover 1/4" to 3/4" in both fine (BSF) and coarse (BSW) threads, the British system defines 9 diameters and requires 9 spanners (or 10 if you also include the original large head Whitworth sizes as well). The UNF/UNC system defines 8 diameters for the same range but requires 11 spanners. For the broadly equivalent range in metric of M6 to M18 using all the common metric standards in use, there are 8 diameters defined but a total of 15 spanners are required! (i.e. 69% more spanners per diameters than the British system). Is this progress?"

cheers,
    Bob
    My mate had a girlfriend called "spanner" the nuts tightened regardless of the thread standard or size.

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    My mate had a girlfriend called "spanner" the nuts tightened regardless of the thread standard or size.
    Gawd that's an old one, haven't heard it for 40 odd years.
    Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    Gawd that's an old one, haven't heard it for 40 odd years.
    Is there a chance that the same woman is being referred to?
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Thread Information