Pug 306 XU7 Ignition timing adjustment
  • Help

Default Pug 306 XU7 Ignition timing adjustment

Hey froggers,

We have a trusty old Pug 306 with a 8v 1.8 engine. It has always been a bit sluggish and bad on fuel, but I previously put that down to being an auto. Well I finally thought I'd investigate tonight and borrowed Ken W's lexia.

After getting it all plugged in and talking I read for faults and came up clean. Yay.

Then I had a look under advanced settings and found this. The ignition timing is retarded 6 degrees

Pug 306 XU7 Ignition timing adjustment-ignition.jpg

We live out in the sticks now, so it currently has crap fuel in it, but I'll report back once its got some fresh fuel and I reset the 'corrected advance' back to 0 degrees.

Has anyone else played with this on their cars?

Cheers,

Advertisement

Dave

I got impatient and reset to 0 degrees correction this morning and drove up to the IGA for some milk. Doesn't seem to ping badly even on the poor fuel and it seems to pull better down low and get up hills easier without kicking down a gear.

Totally pissed I didn't find this out 10 years ago!

Dave

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Hey froggers,

We have a trusty old Pug 306 with a 8v 1.8 engine. It has always been a bit sluggish and bad on fuel, but I previously put that down to being an auto. Well I finally thought I'd investigate tonight and borrowed Ken W's lexia.

After getting it all plugged in and talking I read for faults and came up clean. Yay.

Then I had a look under advanced settings and found this. The ignition timing is retarded 6 degrees

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ignition.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	38346

We live out in the sticks now, so it currently has crap fuel in it, but I'll report back once its got some fresh fuel and I reset the 'corrected advance' back to 0 degrees.

Has anyone else played with this on their cars?

Cheers,

Dave
    Hi Dave

I hear what you are saying.

A few years ago i purchased a N3 XU7 8 v auto that had been detuned by dealer when bought so that the cheapskate could run on regular ULP (91 RON) At the time this practice of retarding ignition timing by a few degrees was quite common.
    The car ran ok but was like a slug. I took it in and had the computer restored to factory specs which improved things greatly.

The 16v's all have knock sensors to overcome low octane issues.

Wifes car is an N5 1.8 8v auto (same set up as N3) which flies (for 1.8) very responsive, plenty of power and economy.
    At same time i was driving an N3 hatch with the same power train, all new EFI components but the difference was like chalk and cheese, a slug and no where as nice to drive.(no record of being detuned)

I think it depends on the calibre (ability and attitude) of the servicing dealer to give the right advice and solutions to these issues.
    Toyota, Honda and Mazda wouldn't experience this issue

Alain

Give yours a week and a couple of long runs and you should have a new car

Quote Originally Posted by Alain View Post
    Hi Dave

I hear what you are saying.

A few years ago i purchased a N3 XU7 8 v auto that had been detuned by dealer when bought so that the cheapskate could run on regular ULP (91 RON) At the time this practice of retarding ignition timing by a few degrees was quite common.
    The car ran ok but was like a slug. I took it in and had the computer restored to factory specs which improved things greatly.

The 16v's all have knock sensors to overcome low octane issues.

Wifes car is an N5 1.8 8v auto (same set up as N3) which flies (for 1.8) very responsive, plenty of power and economy.
    At same time i was driving an N3 hatch with the same power train, all new EFI components but the difference was like chalk and cheese, a slug and no where as nice to drive.(no record of being detuned)

I think it depends on the calibre (ability and attitude) of the servicing dealer to give the right advice and solutions to these issues.
    Toyota, Honda and Mazda wouldn't experience this issue

Alain

Give yours a week and a couple of long runs and you should have a new car
    Hi Alain,

I had exactly the same experience. We had a N5 in the family with the same engine and box that pulled so cleanly and revved more crisply (until the gearbox died). So I always knew that they should run better. My fault for not investigating sooner. I recall thinking maybe the cam timing had skipped a tooth and was a bit dismayed after doing the cambelt last time and making sure it went on aligned correctly that it ran the same as before.

Oh well, at least new players will be able to search this thread if they get issues in the future

Dave

Thinking about the pug pair, if you keep an eye on the header image of aussiefrogs you will often see the pair of white pug 306's and DS at a wedding. That is them

Thread Information