ZDJ Water pump & Fan
  • Help
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    HOBART
    Posts
    1,265

    Default ZDJ Water pump & Fan

    I have a brand new Peugeot 505/Renault ZDJ water pump which has the thread and key-way for a fan. I bought it on Ebay UK a couple of years ago without checking to see it's the same as the one we use here (at least on the Peugeot 505 STI/GTI). The thread is the same for the 540/505 XN motor but what clutch unit would be used (haven't checked an XN unit on it as yet as I dont have one I trust) and more importantly what fan? The 505 STI/GTI fan has a greater diameter than the XN fan.

    Advertisement
    1998 Peugeot 406 D8SV Manual
    1999 Peugeot 406 D8ST Auto
    2002 Peugeot 406 D9SV Manual
    1994 Peuegot 306 N3 Cabriolet Manual
    1994 Peugeot 306 XR N3 Hatch
    1995 Peugeot 505 GTI executive
    1976 Peugeot 504 Sedan - Now sold

    Over 60 Pugs in my time
    Gerry Mullock

  2. #2
    1000+ Posts Gamma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Picton NSW
    Posts
    1,412

    Default

    My advice is....
    Ditch the driven fan concept all together and install a thermo fan unit.
    Have it run off the thermo switch for the aircon fan, (two temp settings, (low and high), so you can have slow and fast speeds), this is done via relays as used for the aircon, (consult an auto sparky as this is not my area of expertise).
    I also advise that there is an in-cabin switch to over-ride for on, (especially if encountering heavy city traffic in the heat, (less likely in Hobart I know)....

    I think I did a post on this a few years back when I did mine…..still looking….
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

  3. #3
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    HOBART
    Posts
    1,265

    Default

    Thanks Gamma, the idea of the high low speed option is appealing.

    Yes we do got heavy traffic if there is an accident on the bridge or the major outlets, occasionally. What usually take me 15 mins to drove 9 or 10 km, has occasionally taken me 50 mins on a bad day!

    I look forward to your post. Then I've got to finds the bits I need.
    1998 Peugeot 406 D8SV Manual
    1999 Peugeot 406 D8ST Auto
    2002 Peugeot 406 D9SV Manual
    1994 Peuegot 306 N3 Cabriolet Manual
    1994 Peugeot 306 XR N3 Hatch
    1995 Peugeot 505 GTI executive
    1976 Peugeot 504 Sedan - Now sold

    Over 60 Pugs in my time
    Gerry Mullock

  4. #4
    1000+ Posts jo proffi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    8,496

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gamma View Post
    I also advise that there is an in-cabin switch to over-ride for on, (especially if encountering heavy city traffic in the heat, (less likely in Hobart I know)....
    Since I changed the fuego's fan trigger from a radiator mounted switch to the thermo housing switch unit I have not had any use for the manual over ride switch (aircon switch with aircon bits removed)
    Maybe a jaycar kit with adjustable on off settings can can be the brains behind such a system.

    I run a 89C thermostat, which opens at 79, and the fans come on at 84.
    As an added bonus, (with adequate coolant for heat soak when engine is shut down) the temps never see high enough to warrant a pressurised cooling system, and the expansion bottle cap's only task is to stop the coolant sloshing out the hole when I drive too fast around corners.

    Jo

  5. #5
    Fellow Frogger! Bruce Llewellyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Toowoomba
    Posts
    656

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gamma View Post
    My advice is....
    Ditch the driven fan concept all together and install a thermo fan unit.
    Have it run off the thermo switch for the aircon fan, (two temp settings, (low and high), so you can have slow and fast speeds), this is done via relays as used for the aircon, (consult an auto sparky as this is not my area of expertise).
    I also advise that there is an in-cabin switch to over-ride for on, (especially if encountering heavy city traffic in the heat, (less likely in Hobart I know)....

    I think I did a post on this a few years back when I did mine…..still looking….
    The ZDJ seems to have always had a viscous fan, where the pushrod motors had the 504 clutch fan, but I haven't checked the parts book to be sure. I just had a lot of fun with the hi-low speed condensor fan in a 505 GTi wagon, which has the viscous fan (hasn't had a fanectomy yet) and ended up removing and re-working the AC loom, converting to the two pin (single temp) radiator switch and a generic hi-low AC pressure switch (the original five wire one was leaking gas from the casing and not switching)

    The low speed fan on the S2 is achieved by a series resistor about the size of a rubber doorstop under the LHheadlight, not by series parallel switching of two fans like CXs and 306/405 etc. i.e. low speed is cooking the bottom of the headlight. The resistor in the GTi had cooked itself and the terminals were burned.

    Just depends on how much fun you want to have and how good you are at relay logic...

    Bruce.

  6. #6
    Fellow Frogger! TassieExec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Devonport Tas.
    Posts
    355

    Default ZDJ Water pump & Fan

    Hi Gerry

    I did the conversion to thermo electric fan on my car some years ago and set it up as follows, switched via a 3 terminal two stage radiator sensor switch and using two relays so that initially it switches on the radiator fan and then if the temp gets higher it switches on the air con fan, I have a wiring diagram for all of this, pm me or give us a call if you would like to know more.

    Regards
    Neil

  7. #7
    1000+ Posts Gamma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Picton NSW
    Posts
    1,412

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TassieExec View Post
    Hi Gerry

    I did the conversion to thermo electric fan on my car some years ago and set it up as follows, switched via a 3 terminal two stage radiator sensor switch and using two relays so that initially it switches on the radiator fan and then if the temp gets higher it switches on the air con fan, I have a wiring diagram for all of this, pm me or give us a call if you would like to know more.

    Regards
    Neil
    Yes ..... wot he said.....
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •