Where does the brake fluid go? - R17
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default Where does the brake fluid go? - R17

Hi All

Brake fluid started disappearing from thereservior of my R17.

Advertisement

There was also an audible clunk coming from under the car so (rather than actually getting under it and having a red hot gander) I diagnosed this as being an issue with the caliper. Not knowing the history of the car I ordered some seals, pads and hoses, moved houses and put the car in a corner of the shed and onto the "to do" list.

The other day I got under the car and put the d-rubber back around the sway bar and back inside the bracket. Clunk cured, and there was no sign of leaks from any of the wheels or the pressure limiter. This means the only place it can go is into the booster on the south end of the master cylinder.

(Replaced the seals and hoses 'cos I was there, pads were good. In fact it looked like it'd been done not all that long ago.)

Sooo... What happens when brake fluid gets into the booster? Does this kill it? I still have power assistance when I brake. How easy is it to find an R17 master cylinder? Booster?

Do people still do re-sleeving? And kits, what's the story there?

Any info greatly appreciated.

Ex
    Daily Drivers: R10, R12, R17T(?) Decouvrable

In the Shed(s):
    R8 (1.4 motor, 4 shock rear end), Dauphine, Pugeot 404

In the Past:
    Dauphine X2, R10 X lots, R12 X2, R16TS, R17TS

Quote Originally Posted by Exfrogger View Post
    Hi All

Brake fluid started disappearing from thereservior of my R17.

There was also an audible clunk coming from under the car so (rather than actually getting under it and having a red hot gander) I diagnosed this as being an issue with the caliper. Not knowing the history of the car I ordered some seals, pads and hoses, moved houses and put the car in a corner of the shed and onto the "to do" list.

The other day I got under the car and put the d-rubber back around the sway bar and back inside the bracket. Clunk cured, and there was no sign of leaks from any of the wheels or the pressure limiter. This means the only place it can go is into the booster on the south end of the master cylinder.

(Replaced the seals and hoses 'cos I was there, pads were good. In fact it looked like it'd been done not all that long ago.)

Sooo... What happens when brake fluid gets into the booster? Does this kill it? I still have power assistance when I brake. How easy is it to find an R17 master cylinder? Booster?

Do people still do re-sleeving? And kits, what's the story there?

Any info greatly appreciated.

Ex
    AFAIK they still do resleeving, but it's not that common as replacements for wheel cylinders at least aren't that expensive. I haven't had such a job done for at least ten years though. The results were so good that I don't NEED any more doing!

I wonder whether you might get more responses to this one if you posted under "Renault"?

Re the other questions, I don't know to be honest. I've never had a problem getting kits from ebay, Caravelle or the French suppliers.

The old Holden 14 mm bailey channel is a bit too big by the way. Back to French suppliers. It needs 12 m or more for the whole car at Euro 6+ per metre plus postage.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

If you need a booster serviced this company may be able to do a reco.

I've used Terry dozens of times for booster repair. The reco units are resleeved and refinished to as new condition.

http://www.hydroboost.com.au/

1000+ Posts

Thanks guys,

At this stage the booster seems to work fine. What I need to know is what effect brake fluid has on the internals of the booster.

I suspect I'll need to pull the MC off too see what has to be done before I go too much further.
    Daily Drivers: R10, R12, R17T(?) Decouvrable

In the Shed(s):
    R8 (1.4 motor, 4 shock rear end), Dauphine, Pugeot 404

In the Past:
    Dauphine X2, R10 X lots, R12 X2, R16TS, R17TS

Quote Originally Posted by Exfrogger View Post
    Thanks guys,

At this stage the booster seems to work fine. What I need to know is what effect brake fluid has on the internals of the booster.

I suspect I'll need to pull the MC off too see what has to be done before I go too much further.

Ex'
    If your m/cyl has "live" vacuum between the cylinder and the booster it will draw fluid into the booster if the cylinder is leaking.
    I don't know if brake fluid will damage the booster diaphragm.*
    Perth Brake Service [in Perth] have resleeved etc Peugeot m/cylinders in recent times.

* Petrol and fumes drawn from the manifold will damage a booster. Make sure the manifold to booster hose is higher than the booster. [Applies to any vehicle].

Thread Information