Speedometer Trouble
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Speedometer Trouble

I am having issues with my 2000-406 HDI. The speedo will suddenly stop working as I'm driving along and when it does the car loses power suddenly and decelerates, then the speedo comes back to life and the car gets a boost of power an accelerates. This was happening on a intermittent basis-sometimes 3 times a day then not for 1 or 2 weeks. The mechanic changed the sensor and the problem still continued. I have now had the battery changed on the advice of the mechanic who suggested that peugeot batteries do not last that long (ours has been in the car for nearly 9 years). Since changing the battery the same issue has arisen once. There are no faults or errors showing up on the computer scanner-does anybody have any ideas on what I could do next? I am wondering if there is an electrical fault somewhere and if I should take the car to our local auto electrician?

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Dirty battery connections / clamps ?

Alain

OK, first up:

The cars ARE very sensitive to a dying battery. One such, will generate all means of "phantom faults"

Next:

What sensor has been changed? There are quite a few. Your situation correlates to problems with a brake contact switch, a crank angle sensor, and as Alain says - poor battery connections. Dying cooling fans can also bring about odd issues.

Finally:

The factory diagnostics programs - being either Diagbox or Peugeot Planet, will reveal a whole lot more than most "scanner" tools about your Peugeot, including problems with central locking, immobiliser keys, air conditioning and of course the engine's computer. Sometimes a non-factory scanning tool will flag a complete red herring. I barely give credence to any discovery using a non-Peugeot tool unless it's Launch (which seems reasonably accurate on engine and gearbox only). The software is available readily off Ebay now and cheap laptops are there for the taking - it's now within the reach of many owners to possess this diagnostic kit themselves.

Tadpole

Addo & Alain, Thank you for your replies. I will try and fimd out which sensor it was-all I remember being told is that it was a speedo sensor and that it is common for them to stop working. I will also check the battery and make sure the connections are clean. I would like to think that were cleaned and sorted when the new battery went in. As for the scanner that was used, the garage that I use is an accredited Peugeot service agent so I would hazarad a guess that they have the correct analytical tools.

You would be surprised and disappointed by the conduct of some marque "official dealers" in terms of service. There are too many stories of service staff either being too stupid to intepret the information revealed by diagnostic tools (and thus replacing parts on a swap-and-pray basis) also clearing all faults without really looking for the root causes, and hoping things just don't come back. Works for the phantom faults, more or less, but losing (say) a chronological fault log out of misplaced haste or disregard can make serious troubleshooting difficult.

Quite possibly what you had replaced was that named by the French as an "engine speed sensor", better known in popular parlance as a "crank angle sensor". Failure is not overly common, but is known.

1000+ Posts

I think you may find the issue bcould be related to the speed sensor computer. I had a similar problem last year with my 406. After checking the speed sensor in the gearbox and checking out the speedo itself, the issue was traced to the little box which is located behing the glove box. I bought a new one ($155) from the dealer, plugged it in and I've never had a problem since.

The casue was dry contacts on the printed circuit board, and if you're handy with a soldering iron and can get the unit apart carefully it's simple enough to fix. I thought that at the cost for a new on, it wasn't was worth the hassle. I can dig out the part No if needed.
    1998 Peugeot 406 D8SV Manual
    1999 Peugeot 406 D8ST Auto
    2002 Peugeot 406 D9SV Manual
    1994 Peuegot 306 N3 Cabriolet Manual
    1994 Peugeot 306 XR N3 Hatch
    1995 Peugeot 505 GTI executive
    1976 Peugeot 504 Sedan - Now sold

Over 60 Pugs in my time
    Gerry Mullock

Quote Originally Posted by Lyndy Lou View Post
    .... The speedo will suddenly stop working as I'm driving along and when it does the car loses power suddenly and decelerates, then the speedo comes back to life and the car gets a boost of power an accelerates.
    I dont know anything about BSI or any other modern crapy designed bus systems, but my first thought when the dash gauge and engine cuts out would be that whatever system turns the car's electricals on and off (a key/ a card/a main relay/whatever) is faulty and is cutting power to the whole car.
    Do all other functions that are ignition key switched items (power windows/hifi/ all dash gauges etc) go off when this fault occurs??

On my completely different car, turning the engine computer/ignition on and off with the key whilst the car is running will not introduce a fault code.

Jo

Tadpole

Thanks for the replies. I had been using the spare key for the car as the main key (with remote unlock/lock function) was coming apart. I have started using the main key again and so far so good. Will let you know how we get on.

Thread Information