307 Tinkering...Rear Wheel Bearing.
  • Help

Default 307 Tinkering...Rear Wheel Bearing.

I have been musing recently over odd tyre wear on the driverís side rear of the 2003 307 T5 HDi, hatch.
    There has been this odd sinking and digging in on left handers. Added to this there is uneven tyre wear on the rear driverís side, (excessive inside wear and feathering to the inside).
    Tyre pressures good, no noise or slack/slop from the bearing, shock absorber not leaking and even resistance through travel......

Then again on the other side the only symptom was a howling over 60km/h..no slack etc etc....

Well I pulled it down today, after finding a spare hub assembly, (new).
    I was amazed that the bearing came off intact without leaving the inner race behind, (not like last time on the other side...grind...bash....chistle.....grind...bash... .chistle.....grind...bash....chistle.....)

A little effort required to get the new one on...rotate wheels.....all seems good...test drive to follow.

I dismembered the old hub in the hope of finding a flaw......apart from a slight bright wear line on the inner race....nothing...

Advertisement

Any thoughts...............
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Gamma.

I don't understand your logic in identifying the wheel bearings were faulty??? You said there was "no slack/slop" or noise from the existing bearing. Even if there was noise, as long as the hub rotated on axis to the stub it will not be the cause of dynamic handling problems. I would suspect the tyre.

Quote Originally Posted by Whippet View Post
    Hi Gamma.

I don't understand your logic in identifying the wheel bearings were faulty??? You said there was "no slack/slop" or noise from the existing bearing. Even if there was noise, as long as the hub rotated on axis to the stub it will not be the cause of dynamic handling problems. I would suspect the tyre.
    True, tyres are a consideration.
    For the "feel " I get, there would have to be considerable side wall deflection which only shows itself when loaded up beyond a certain point, (tyre deflection would be more progressive).

The passenger side rear wheel bearing failure could not be "palpated" when on a jack and was only evident when doing more than 60km/h, (howling as described).

Given that I have done the better part of 240,000km, I am considering changing out the rear shocks anyway, (Monroe gas at $220 a pair).
    Coil overs would be nice but there is precious little dirt between here and work.......

Tyres are on the cards for a change in about 10,000km.
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90

1000+ Posts

It may pay to get a rear wheel alignment check. When I changed the rear drop links on my first 406 many years ago, I didn't reset them properly, and while the symptoms are different to what you describe, mine were really out of true. I assume you have by now replaced ypur rear drop links after 240,000 km?
    1998 Peugeot 406 D8SV Manual
    1999 Peugeot 406 D8ST Auto
    2002 Peugeot 406 D9SV Manual
    1994 Peuegot 306 N3 Cabriolet Manual
    1994 Peugeot 306 XR N3 Hatch
    1995 Peugeot 505 GTI executive
    1976 Peugeot 504 Sedan - Now sold

Over 60 Pugs in my time
    Gerry Mullock

Quote Originally Posted by pugnut1 View Post
    It may pay to get a rear wheel alignment check. When I changed the rear drop links on my first 406 many years ago, I didn't reset them properly, and while the symptoms are different to what you describe, mine were really out of true. I assume you have by now replaced ypur rear drop links after 240,000 km?
    I don’t think the 307 has drop links????

I have just had an extensive chat with a tyre fitter and he is inclined to think it is a combination of, bearing, (done), and a partial shock absorber valve failure, (only really affecting the ride under load and at speed), he has suggested that I go to somewhere like Pedder’s and have a dynamic test done.

.....the cost of which is about the same as replacing the shocks anyway......

The rear alignment is not readily adjustable, (any hints here appreciated....)
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90

Fellow Frogger! young 4 old pug's Avatar

Default 307 Tinkering...Rear Wheel Bearing.

If mounts are pushed in wrong way up and have collapsed it will affect geometry - but I've never seen it. Yet.

However, I have done a pre delivery on a partner and while doing the wheel alignment check found the rear beam to be veeeeeerrrry bent..
    Current stash
    too many.

Passed over stash
    lots.

Extensive test drive undertaken....part of which I was hanging over and into the rear luggage area.....
    Result...
    -distinctly less noise from the rear end, (I am putting this down to the rotated tyres). There may also be less bearing input.... but that is debatable.......(boxes of bits removed as well)
    -shock absorber valve noise detected....a clicking over slight sharp bumps.
    -less dig in under hard cornering....it feels as though the back end is diving lower if you are going over corrugations for a length of time...

confirmed...shocks deeeeed.....or at least dying .
    New shocks ordered.
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90

Thread Information