recommend an air compressor?
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default recommend an air compressor?

Ive been looking for a suitable compressor for home, must be able to operate a 1/2 inch rattle gun sufficiently, air ratchet, general tools like air dusters, sanders. Not blasting, would like to do some home painting with it. Would something like this suffice?

http://www.sydneytools.com.au/shopex...id=15905&bc=no

or is that a bit overboard, and this is ok

Advertisement

http://www.sydneytools.com.au/shopex...id=11551&bc=no

sorry I cant give a CFM for my tools..i have a huge industrial pilot compressor at work connected to about 60 hoists so i cant really afford that haha....
    The wrong oil is better than no oil at all.

Mine's bigger than that, and still likes to run near-constantly with some air tools. Do you have three phase on?

As to the rattler - get a Snap-on cordless out of the US. About $700 landed, in a soft bag: http://shop.toolin22.com/New-Snap-On...nch-CT7850.htm

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Mine's bigger than that, and still likes to run near-constantly with some air tools. Do you have three phase on?

As to the rattler - get a Snap-on cordless out of the US. About $700 landed, in a soft bag: http://shop.toolin22.com/New-Snap-On...nch-CT7850.htm
    Air tools suck.....Too noisy and they blow shit up into your face.

I run two smallish compressors and a spare tank.
    A cheap and nasty solution and certainly adequate to run a rattle gun at up to 120 psi.

Jo

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

you can't have too much air ... I'd look at something like this as a bare minimum..... 2 of them daisy chained together would be even better

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Peerless-...ht_1109wt_1041

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger!

One warning with the larger 240V units, they may need a 15A wall socket (Shane's one does), which might add costs for an electrician if you just have standard sockets in your garage.

Have fun,

Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by robs View Post
    One warning with the larger 240V units, they may need a 15A wall socket (Shane's one does), which might add costs for an electrician if you just have standard sockets in your garage.

Have fun,

Rob.
    I'll second that. You DO need the full 15amps to run a 14-16 CFM single phase compressor.

I have one of these: http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/C342

With an additional 120 litre receiver (scrounged from a skip)

It is adequate for all air tools including spray guns. The additional receiver volume made a big difference. Even with almost 200L storage, the air d-a sander battles on extended runs.

Try to buy something with a big receiver. It's reduces the stops/starts of the compressor and therefore kinder to the motor.

Timely thread, I'm also in the market for a compressor and looking for the largest I can run on a single phase. After looking at the other compressor thread on here it seems to come down to:

Peerless P17 or HAFCO C342

They seem pretty much of a muchness although the HAFCO seems to have a slight edge in lower HP rating (more efficient) and higher flow rate.

HAFCO has 3 cylinders versus 2 for the Peerless.

There doesn't seem to be anything in it price-wise. I don't mind taking the slight hit on specs if the Peerless is actually manufactured here.

So, experiencs, anecdotes, opinions, my mate down the pub said?
    Last edited by Uffee; 7th December 2012 at 11:29 AM.
    504 GL Coupe '73 Silver
    504 GTDT Pickup Mini-Motorhome '83 Coral Red
    407 HDi Sedan '05

Quote Originally Posted by robs View Post

Have fun,

Rob.
    I can fix it for free with a file in about 20seconds ......................................... I imagine you'll be fine, just check the wiring out to the shed. From memory it's rated at 40amps out to my shed. That's all the electrician will probably do before sticking a 15amps faceplate onto a powerpoint

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Default some advice

Here's a tip.
    Some advice given to me by an engineer who is also a rep for 15 amp tools...
    If you buy a new unit, dont file down its earth probe. It make a potential warrantee claim easy to refuse.

Buy a short 15 amp extension cord and file that down instead.

Jo

Banned

personally, for mig with a 15A plug on it, i just bought an extension cord and replaced the 15A plug with a 10A one. havent had a problem. which hardly surprising, given that 2 x 10A devices can be plugged into the same dual outlet.

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    personally, for mig with a 15A plug on it, i just bought an extension cord and replaced the 15A plug with a 10A one. havent had a problem. which hardly surprising, given that 2 x 10A devices can be plugged into the same dual outlet.
    My old man bought an industrial MIG welder with a 15A "installation" plug. We did the short extension trick but when welding 5mm plate I found that if the wire ever stuck to the tip then I'd be walking halfway around the building to reset the circuit breaker.
    504 GL Coupe '73 Silver
    407 HDi Sedan '05

1000+ Posts

I have a Peerless 17 and its great at what it does but it is not a particularly high volume unit. You might want to check out the requirements of the tools you plan to use. If it stays on too long heat build-up at the top of the piston and this melts a nylon hose that blows off and drains the tank. I suspect this is a fail safe.

It has happened to me a couple of time on very hot days when the compressor has to work particularly hard AND I was using it on a blast cabinet. An easy fix, clip off the hose re attach the olives and you're away.

What I really needed was a higher volume unit e.g., the P19 (420 LPM vs 320 LPM for the P19) but this comes at the expense of pressure, the P17 is rated at 145 psi while the P19 at 100 psi.
    Daily Drivers: R10, R12, R17T(?) Decouvrable

In the Shed(s):
    R8 (1.4 motor, 4 shock rear end), Dauphine, Pugeot 404

In the Past:
    Dauphine X2, R10 X lots, R12 X2, R16TS, R17TS

Quote Originally Posted by Exfrogger View Post
    I have a Peerless 17 and its great at what it does but it is not a particularly high volume unit. You might want to check out the requirements of the tools you plan to use. If it stays on too long heat build-up at the top of the piston and this melts a nylon hose that blows off and drains the tank. I suspect this is a fail safe.

It has happened to me a couple of time on very hot days when the compressor has to work particularly hard AND I was using it on a blast cabinet. An easy fix, clip off the hose re attach the olives and you're away.

What I really needed was a higher volume unit e.g., the P19 (420 LPM vs 320 LPM for the P19) but this comes at the expense of pressure, the P17 is rated at 145 psi while the P19 at 100 psi.
    P1V1= P2V2 (gas law)

The same compressor with a higher volume and lower pressure. You don't get something for nothing off 15 amp supply. The input power is the limitation.

Well I'd pretty much decided on a C342 but then when I ran the local distributor he mentioned without being prompted that he stocks and has in stock Peerless whereas the HAFCO would come from interstate and have an added freight charge. So I've gone back to a state of indecision again.

As an aside, the Peerless is Australian assembled from a Chinese pump and Thai motor apparently.
    504 GL Coupe '73 Silver
    407 HDi Sedan '05

I've got a Fini from Total tools - Italian made from memory, 2.5hp, belt drive V-twin with cast iron cylinders & a 50lt tank.

Handles everything well, apart from Sanding(and I havn't tried blasting with it) - I fully intend to add another tank once my workshop is tidied up. Rattle guns are fine, painting is no problem. It's fairly quiet.

The Finis' are starting to get up in price - Total Tools also stock 'Iron Air' which seem pretty good, but you'd have to check specs.....

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day,

Quote Originally Posted by Capago View Post
    Ive been looking for a suitable compressor for home, must be able to operate a 1/2 inch rattle gun sufficiently, air ratchet, general tools like air dusters, sanders. Not blasting, would like to do some home painting with it. Would something like this suffice?

or is that a bit overboard, and this is ok

http://www.sydneytools.com.au/shopex...id=11551&bc=no

sorry I cant give a CFM for my tools..i have a huge industrial pilot compressor at work connected to about 60 hoists so i cant really afford that haha....
    crikey, "home use", if you're on the standard suburban block I hope that your neigbours are easy to get on with.... These are fairly serious compressors, I'm with Jo, there are two here both little Chinese wonders, that have put in years of service running all the usual low demand stuff like rattle guns, nail guns, staplers, chisels etc and have been worth their weight in gold for labour saving devices and I would expect that both of them will see me out.

You really don't need all that air for the usual tools, painting is pushing the envelope a bit if you want high pressure. It won't cost you much to get the next Bunnings/Mitre10 special and see what it can do for you

cheers,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by wombat200 View Post
    I've got a Fini from Total tools - Italian made from memory, 2.5hp, belt drive V-twin with cast iron cylinders & a 50lt tank.

Handles everything well, apart from Sanding(and I havn't tried blasting with it) - I fully intend to add another tank once my workshop is tidied up. Rattle guns are fine, painting is no problem. It's fairly quiet.

The Finis' are starting to get up in price - Total Tools also stock 'Iron Air' which seem pretty good, but you'd have to check specs.....
    I started looking at Iron Air as there is a Total Tools around the corner but they seem a bit down on spec and up on price compared to the C342 and P17.
    504 GL Coupe '73 Silver
    407 HDi Sedan '05

Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    G'day,

crikey, "home use", if you're on the standard suburban block I hope that your neigbours are easy to get on with.... These are fairly serious compressors, I'm with Jo, there are two here both little Chinese wonders, that have put in years of service running all the usual low demand stuff like rattle guns, nail guns, staplers, chisels etc and have been worth their weight in gold for labour saving devices and I would expect that both of them will see me out.

You really don't need all that air for the usual tools, painting is pushing the envelope a bit if you want high pressure. It won't cost you much to get the next Bunnings/Mitre10 special and see what it can do for you

cheers,
    Bob
    Haha yeah apprentice mechanic by trade but I want to be able do some work at the weekend! theres enough shenanigans with people with v8's showing how much power they have every time they leave their house. Perhaps i should take painting off my requirements list for now, should make it a fair bit cheaper
    Last edited by Capago; 10th December 2012 at 07:30 PM.

I paint with my rig without an issue
    The old two cyl battle horse which I got for free and the aldi $100 job (complete with spraygun) are fine for painting.
    They can maintain +80 psi at 100% trigger duty cycle which is more than enough for my needs.
    I think I run the gun at 40 psi or less and the compressors kick in at 80 psi so there is more than enough headroom.
    The rig has a water trap/regulator which I wind down to 4opsi so the pressure at the gun does not fluctuate as the pressure from the tanks cycle from 80 to 120 psi.
    You can make your own accumulator out of an out of date gas bottle. The ones that fork lifts use are excellent.
    Jo

Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    G'day,

cheers,
    Bob
    Noooo...... You **NEED** the biggest you can possibly find .... Don't get one of those shitty oilless ones.... gee's there crap. There noisy as hell and run really hot. It's not just the air capacity. If the compressor is running hard, it runs really hot, which means you end up with a huge amount more moisture in your lines (which is the last thing you want if your trying to paint). I have a 17CFM aussie made CLISBY compressor (running current is about 14amps.... far, far more when starting of course )... I also have a McMillon that someone was dropping at the transfer station when I was there. It's about 12CFM. They two combined (ie: about 27CFM) running 100% duty cycle ... ie: constantly ... flat out, will run a D/A and a "moderate" (NOT fast) speed, and make the sand blaster usable., With just the 17CFM running the sander runs very slowly and the sandblaster is very slow.

seeya,
    shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

I wasnt considering an oil-less one, only out of mechanical empathy

these are 2 i am considering at the moment

http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/C325

take into account that id rather not spend the money if i dont have to, and for the next few years dont foresee myself using any equipment such as sandblasters. most painting would be a dodgy on the commodore as a practice car. otherwise its pretty much the rattle gun, air ratchet, air brake bleeder, etc general workshoppy tools

Go the cheapy.
    I cant see a Vtwin in the photo, but maybe its a clever design that looks like a single cylinder.
    Jo

Quote Originally Posted by Capago View Post
    I wasnt considering an oil-less one, only out of mechanical empathy

these are 2 i am considering at the moment

http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/C325

take into account that id rather not spend the money if i dont have to, and for the next few years dont foresee myself using any equipment such as sandblasters. most painting would be a dodgy on the commodore as a practice car. otherwise its pretty much the rattle gun, air ratchet, air brake bleeder, etc general workshoppy tools
    If you buy either of the compressors you mention forget portability. They will weigh 85 Kg plus. They are noisy and really need to be outside the work area and plumbed up to distribute compressed air.

I'd forget spray painting and buy a tradie type nail gun compressor which will run all your tools except the HVLP spray gun.

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day,

the two here are about 10-15 years old, branded 2HP or thereabouts I think, which is the way they mark up these "home" units I think - no idea what the delivery rate is. They have a sump full of oil, direct connected motor, easily portable and are as cheap as chips. One came as part of a deal with a Bostich framer, nice stable fella on rubber feet, that one ran a T nailer for renailing 40 year old hardwood floors though the whole house so it's well and truly proved itself.

They haven't failed me yet.

Insofar as painting is concerned, I've used an LP gun on an ancient home made unit that was an old tiny fridge compressor sitting on a tank that used to live under a railway wagon as part of the brake system, the electric motor was the sexy part of this outfit, Aussie made repulsion/induction thing that would rip yer bloody arms off it got the job done, very nice too, you just have to be patient

cheers,
    Bob

I've decided I'm going to go with a Peerless P17. The free air delivery is near enough as makes no difference to the C342 but it uses a 13.8 cfm pump rather than a 16 cfm pump to do it.

The C342 must be putting a lot of heat into the air to take that extra displacement and turn it into the same free air delivery.
    504 GL Coupe '73 Silver
    407 HDi Sedan '05

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information