Balancing French centreless wheels..how to.
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By 59 Floride
  • 1 Post By kolbergd

Thread: Balancing French centreless wheels..how to.

Default Balancing French centreless wheels..how to.

Many tyre retailers can't (or don't want to) balance our wheels and it will only get worse as time goes by.

Out of nesessity I've decided to fab my own wheel balancing armature....this is no invention of mine, it's just borrowed from the motorcycle fraternity.

Take a piece of board for a base, mine is laminated MDF but plywood is better...attach some adjustable feet for levelling.

Add some uprights and some sort of bracket for skate bearings, accuracy and sturdiness are important here..
    Skate bearings are available on ebay for $8 (a set of 4)

Make some cones out of wood, plastic or metal to suit the hub of choice, I used a 10mm rod for an axle because it fits nicely through the hole in the rim centre and add some copper tube or similar to reduce friction on the bearings.

Fit the wheel and level the base with a round bubble available from Bunnings for $7

Tyre lead weights are available from ebay too.

Advertisement

Now follow the instructions from this youtube link http://youtu.be/bBzviKTPMrg and voila..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Balancing French centreless wheels..how to.-002.jpg   Balancing French centreless wheels..how to.-003.jpg   Balancing French centreless wheels..how to.-006.jpg   Balancing French centreless wheels..how to.-008.jpg   Balancing French centreless wheels..how to.-009.jpg   Balancing French centreless wheels..how to.-010.jpg  

Balancing French centreless wheels..how to.-011.jpg   Balancing French centreless wheels..how to.-012.jpg   Balancing French centreless wheels..how to.-018.jpg   Balancing French centreless wheels..how to.-019.jpg   Balancing French centreless wheels..how to.-024.jpg  
    Last edited by 59 Floride; 16th November 2012 at 02:39 PM.
    lozenge likes this.
    Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

COL

Hi 59 Floride

Thats a great setup.

Some Bob Jane tyre outlets have the adapter plate to balance the 3 stud wheels without a large centre hole.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by COL View Post
    Hi 59 Floride

Thats a great setup.

Some Bob Jane tyre outlets have the adapter plate to balance the 3 stud wheels without a large centre hole.

Yes some do but most don't and the nearest one that does is miles away from here.

The last time I bought tyres they were happy to sell me tyres but then informed me they can't balance them (after I'd paid)....

So now I am independant.
    Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

1000+ Posts

Try a truck place you may be able to get them balanced on the car ,like they did in the old days,or find someone with an adapter plate for 3 stud. Pugs

Actually that's pretty neat, exactly the same setup to balance RC helicopter blades.
    Balancing French centreless wheels..how to.-s611-c.jpg

When I had my R16TS, an Adelaide tyre dealer would balance the wheel and tyre while it was on the car. He would always complain that he had to remove and fit the tyre by hand ( no centre hole), and balance with one corner jacked up. A small friction drive unit would spin the wheel and a floor mounted sensor would size and indicate where the weight needed to be placed. Workrd fine. The car would shake about at first, but a good balance was obtained.

Tadpole

Best solution by far....... Take your wheels to a wheel manufacturer. get centre-holes cut into the wheels, and use roh or similar caps. Then the wheels can be balanced on a normal balancer. Cost me about 40 dollars per wheel a fair few years ago, but you will save that in tyre wear in no time. Dennis Kolberg
    lozenge likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
    When I had my R16TS, an Adelaide tyre dealer would balance the wheel and tyre while it was on the car. He would always complain that he had to remove and fit the tyre by hand ( no centre hole), and balance with one corner jacked up. A small friction drive unit would spin the wheel and a floor mounted sensor would size and indicate where the weight needed to be placed. Workrd fine. The car would shake about at first, but a good balance was obtained.
    My recollection, for what it is worth, is that my 16 manual instructed not to balance the wheels on the car, fronts anyway. That said, I'm sure plenty did and never heard of problems.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

1000+ Posts

Default Balancing on car !

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    My recollection, for what it is worth, is that my 16 manual instructed not to balance the wheels on the car, fronts anyway. That said, I'm sure plenty did and never heard of problems.
    Hi
    THere were warninings about 'on car' balancing of front wheel drive cars in the good old days, because the car was jacked up and the drive shafts were at an 'extreme angle'. "these new fangled foreign cars" So the wheel and shafts were not expected to rotate at any speed in case they were damaged or whatever. Never heard of it actually causing a problem but if the joints were a bit worn and the wheels not straight it might be a bit hard to get a good balance perhaps.

Wheel balance does not really affect the tire wear. It just p-sses off the driver and in the long run probably causes more wear on the suspension joints. THe smoother the road the better balance required. On dirt roads you never need to ballance the wheels
    Jaahn

Bit of a nightmare finding places that will balance centreless rims (for the Xantia) so thought be good to add to this blog & get a resource up and running. I can only speak for Melbourne (inner north). Please add other locations as appropriate:

At Bob Jane Preston ask for Laurie to do the job (they were really persistent with my job and I attended twice to get it right):
    https://www.google.com.au/maps/place...463e37a70f5544

Haven't used this JaxQuickfit Essendon provider but apparently they do the gig:
    https://www.google.com.au/maps/place...1bfb8f3ccadbc2
    '73 & '74 GS Break
    '00 Xantia Break
    '78 504 GL - gone to good home
    '69 ID19B - if wasn't for mortgage would still have, '74 DS23 Pallas
    '74 Renault TS , '69 Renault TS - last seen forlorn at Taminda wreckers

Thread Information