Thoughts on ACEA C4 vs C3
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Thoughts on ACEA C4 vs C3

The Koleos service manual states the diesel Koleos should use 5W30 ACEA C3.

Looking at the Penrite site they now offer ACEA C4 (RN0720 rated). Not that passionate about Penrite but useful as a reference.

Sent an email to Renault FR about what oil SHOULD be used and they responded with the oil should be 5W30 RN0720.

The ELF site says the following:
    For 30,000 km covered, an RN0720 standard oil oxidizes 3 times less than an ACEA C4 oil and 6 times less than an ACEA C3 oil

Thoughts on ACEA C4 vs C3-acea.gif

It can be seen that the C4 oils are supposed to produce only 60% of the ash C3 oils emit.
    Better for DPF filters.

Advertisement

Why doesn't Renault advocate its use in my service manual? (Probably because it's an even more boutique oil here than C3????)

The oil I am using is Solaris DPF which is C4 (level C3 RN0720 rated).

Thoughts?

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by 85Fuego View Post
    Sent an email to Renault FR about what oil SHOULD be used and they responded with the oil should be 5W30 RN0720.

The ELF site says the following:
    For 30,000 km covered, an RN0720 standard oil oxidizes 3 times less than an ACEA C4 oil and 6 times less than an ACEA C3 oil
    I wouldn't doubt Elf's claim.

Renault's RN0720 performance specification builds on top of an ACEA C4 baseline with additional performance requirements in areas such as detergency, oxidation and durability.

http://www.lubrizol.com/EngineOilAdd...CEA-C4-10.html

Quote Originally Posted by 85Fuego View Post
    Why doesn't Renault advocate its use in my service manual? (Probably because it's an even more boutique oil here than C3????)

The oil I am using is Solaris DPF which is C4 (level C3 RN0720 rated).

Thoughts?
    The C3 and C4 category were introduced by the ACEA in 2004 and 2007 respectively.

The introduction of Renault-specific oil standards (RN0700, RN0710, RN0720) coincided with the release of the Laguna III (October 2007).

Prior to the release of Laguna III onto the market, vehicles with particulate filters had to use ACEA C3 5W-30 or ACEA C3 0W-30 oils.

I suspect your service manual was simply was not up to date, despite the Koleos being released in 2008. Or as you state, it could well be due to anticipated availability problems of RN0720 oil in 2008.

So in agreement with Renault France, the correct oil for the Koleos is a RN0720 approved oil, despite what is written in the service manual.

Thread Information