Tyres - 205/55/16 for 307 - Michelin & Bridgestone?
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By wombat200

Thread: Tyres - 205/55/16 for 307 - Michelin & Bridgestone?

Default Tyres - 205/55/16 for 307 - Michelin & Bridgestone?

Hi All,

About to replace the Tyres on our 307 HDi Touring. 205/55/16 91V. Currently using Pirelli P7's & have been very happy. Would buy them again....

However - we're CostCo members & they sell the full range of Michelin & Bridgestone at what appears to be VERY competitive rates.

Advertisement

Looked at the Pilot Sport 3, and they had a Bridgestone ecopia model in stock too, although I'm a bit sceptical of them... They will/can order in anything from both manufactures, though....

Anyone out there be willing to recommend anything from Michelin or Bridgestone? We're on a budget, but I don't like to skimp on tyres...... Cost vs longevity comes into play, too - no point in cheap tyres if they only last 20,000 - likewise, I don't want to 'over-tyre' what is effectively a low-powered (if torquey) wagon.....

Anyone using the PS3 at the moment? CostCo want $199.99 each for the PS3 which seems very cheap.....

Quote Originally Posted by wombat200 View Post
    Cost vs longevity comes into play, too - no point in cheap tyres if they only last 20,000
    Its the expensive ones like the ps3 which use softish compounds to achieve a higher level of grip are the ones which only last me....15k km.
    Dont expect massive millage out of a ps3, you get grip at the expense of longevity

I dont think there are too many cars on this forum whose power outputs demand a special type of sports tyre, but when you need to emergency brake for a pedestrian or to swerve to avoid a collision, especially in the wet, your decision to get PS3 will be rewarded.

Jo

Yeah, understand the basic premise of soft=good grip=short life, but 15,000km??!!! That will last me 6=8 months, which is just unrealistic.....

Got 30,000-ish out of the P7's so far & they still have 2-3,000 left, and they have maintained their grip to the last... been very happy....

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Its the expensive ones like the ps3 which use softish compounds to achieve a higher level of grip are the ones which only last me....15k km.
    Dont expect massive millage out of a ps3, you get grip at the expense of longevity

I dont think there are too many cars on this forum whose power outputs demand a special type of sports tyre, but when you need to emergency brake for a pedestrian or to swerve to avoid a collision, especially in the wet, your decision to get PS3 will be rewarded.

Jo
    Spot on

Paid $165 for Conti PC2 in that size. Proverbial poop to a blanket, although they do track a little.

1000+ Posts

The Ecopia & the PS3 shouldn't be on the same short-list as the latter is a sports tyre & the former is aimed at long life, comfort & low fuel consumption. Work out criteria first & then you'll get a short-list that suits. Not everyone drives like Jo (I do) but even less hurried drivers would find the PS3 giving shorter life than the Ecopia.

The PC2 is another good wet grip tyre & also will have a shorter life. (I thought the tracking issue turned out to be alignment?!?) Then again, as an obsolescent tyre (being replaced in Europe by the PC5 which may not come here) it is in "clearance sale" phase &, at that cost, you might tolerate a shorter life. And it is very good in wet braking - a criterion that, in my view, should be a necessary condition to be satisfied in getting a place on any short-list.

cheers! Peter

Guys, I do appreciate the comments, but you've kind-of missed the point - I'd really love recommendations of tyres that people are actually using - Haakon - thanks, how many km do you have on them & how are they wearing??

4cvg - I don't have a short-list. No particular tyre is on a 'short list' at this stage. I know my personal criteria, but when choosing tyres, all anyone has to go by is:

What the manufacturer states (highly biased & selective)
    What the retailer states (highly biased & selective)
    Personal recommendations - variable quality, some very useful, some less so.

So, it becomes no more than an educated guess as to what to pick, unless you have the ability to do back-to-back testing, which of course the vast majority of us do not.

So - anyone actually using the Michelins?
    Whippet likes this.

Yes I used PS3 in 195/55/15
    Very good tyre in the wet, no matter how you drive.
    In the dry the were a bit unpredictable at the ragged edge (beyond where your traction control light would be blasting at you).
    Comfortable over bumps too.
    I'd recomend them.

Jo

1000+ Posts

Wombat, you have to tell us your criteria if you want sensible input. My point was that it's hard to see just what criteria one might have beyond 'must be round, must be black' that would lead you to entertain the Ecopia & the PS3 in the same list.

Not a bad guide to tyres is magazine tests (not just one) & not a bad guide to a spread of magazine tests is the below link. If you do know the features you want in a tyre (& it has to be a plausible mix -long life & also good wet braking is a hard ask) then read the detail of the tests & see what show up in a few as having the features you want. Apart from the below, you might check the Tire Rack site in the states.

Note that some tyres won't be available in Oz & some sold in 0z won't be in the overseas tests.

On a personal note, I have the PC2 on my Djet & would rate them as fairly crisp in response (I run high pressures), talkative & unsnappily adjustable at the limit (wet or dry), good wet brakers (both in grip & for threshold braking at the limit) & very good grip on damp roads & resistance to aquaplaning on more sodden ones (the Djet only weighs 615kg so aquaplaning at the front is a potential problem). What they are not is long lived; personally, that is not a criterion that inputs to my shortlist except negatively - I dodge tyres with a reputation for longevity or big sidewall treadwear numbers (the PC2 is 240 as I recall).

cheers! Peter

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre-Tests/#summer

PS3 is the best road tyre you can buy short of a semi slick.(Conti doesn't even come close).

I've had a full set of PS3s last 35000km on my Gti6 with rotation and turning on the rims. And that 35000km of driving through the hills. It's not like Michelin have a rep for fast wearing tyres, (unlike Firenzas or certain Yokohamas). I also find them harder wearing than the P7

My experience with similar spec bridgestones is that the bridgestones squeal under hard cornering,(PS3s never squeal), harder wearing than the miche's, definitely better grip in the wet, but only 8/10ths of the mich in the dry.

I don't agree with Jo Proffi on the dry handling characteristics. I find them very forgiving in the dry and bite quickly when you back off after loosing traction. Very predictable in the wet. However, if you overdrive the car inducing understeer they do overheat the edge and become mushy when cornering until they cool down but braking in a straight line is always superb.

And once you've had them you won't want to go back to anything else. (Love my Miche's).

Peter - please go back & read what I initially posted. I'm NOT neccesarily entertaining the Ecopia - in fact, I specifically stated I'm skeptical of them. I mentioned them purely because they were mentioned to me. As I have said - there is no 'List'.

What I AM asking for (and I think I adequately stated) is personal experiences of both Michelin & Bridgestone tyres - any tyre from their respective ranges.

UK magazine tests are limited in their usefulness by the environment - you do, of course, have closer conditions to the UK down there, but the hotter climate up here does impact on any testing - in fact, a number of UK reviewers agree that often their tyres perform better on hotter days - days that would probably equate to normal / springtime use here.

Thanks Bluey, very useful. Actually, a number of Michelin dealers I've spoken with - while recommending the PS3 - all state that they wear fast. Weather that is a pre-emptive strike at me coming back & whinging, or a simple statement of experience, I'm not sure.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wombat200 View Post
    Peter - please go back & read what I initially posted. I'm NOT neccesarily entertaining the Ecopia - in fact, I specifically stated I'm skeptical of them. I mentioned them purely because they were mentioned to me. As I have said - there is no 'List'.

What I AM asking for (and I think I adequately stated) is personal experiences of both Michelin & Bridgestone tyres - any tyre from their respective ranges.

UK magazine tests are limited in their usefulness by the environment - you do, of course, have closer conditions to the UK down there, but the hotter climate up here does impact on any testing - in fact, a number of UK reviewers agree that often their tyres perform better on hotter days - days that would probably equate to normal / springtime use here.
    ok, I did read it and am still bewildered as to what you seek in a tyre (experience of any current Michelin or Bridgestone and on no matter what parameter of performance?)
    so, I'm out of here but good luck in getting something that suits what you want (whatever that might be)
    (to Bluey: closer in perfomance to a semi-slick would be the PS2 or PSS. much dearer though for the latter.)
    cheers! Peter

4cvg - it actually has no bearing on the conversation what I want - I'm looking to hear from other's experiences during their usage - which by definition, will be different to my usage. But, after hearing about other's experiences, I can then decide weather or not something will suit my use.

For instance - your useage does not really have much bearing on what I will need - mostly because of the vastly different car type, particularly the weight difference.

I could tell you all about my requirements - but unless they're the same as yours, or you have intimate experience of a number of tyres in a short timeframe, you won't be able to suggest anything. On the other hand, comments like Bluey's are very useful.

Well, I dug out the paperwork from when I bought the P7's - seems I've actually got 50,000km out of them, so better than I recalled initially. And as I've been happy with them, I checked the price on them again - seems they're even cheaper now than they used to be, even for the newer P7 'Cintaurato'. So, looks like I might be sticking with the Pirellis..... Unless the Bridgestone ER300 or MY01's come with some good press. The Michelins seem like to much of a risk for me, I don't need to be buying another set in 12 months time.....

Thread Information