Will 24mm torsion bars fit standard arms?- 205gti
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Will 24mm torsion bars fit standard arms?- 205gti

Also, will these be too stiff for track days?

Thanks in advance
    Lewis

Advertisement

Great for track days in the dry, but too stiff for anything else. Unless you have a cage I wouldn't recommend them at all.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Fellow Frogger!

Is that because the cage reduces chassis twist

Correct, the car will just twist.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

I've got 21mm bars in my car and that's about as big as you'd want to go on the road I reckon. Should be ok for the odd track day too.

Pat
    205 gti-6

205 track car build in progress http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Fellow Frogger!

Hmmm ok well a half cage is on my wish-list anyway.

Anyone know if the splines would fit the standard trailing arms?

Thanks
    LEwis

Fellow Frogger!

yes they fit
    Adrian Wuillemin

Straight fit Lewis.

You will also want to get a hold of a larger ARB to match everything else your planning on doing. The cheapest way to do this is to find a GTi6 rear beam and grab the ARB from that and have it matched and re splined to fit the 205 beam. Especially if your upgrading the front springs and lowering it. Makes a massive difference. I think they are all 24mm. Std is 18.9 ( I think )

Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Fellow Frogger!

Well I just bought some coilovers from Capago which have 300lb springs and I already have a 21mm sway bar from Whiteline.
    What do you think?

Lewis

Stiffness of a round bar - insofar as we are interested here - is related to the fourth power of diameter. So if you want to A/B a 19mm bar vs 24mm it's 19x19x19x19 vs 24x24x24x24.

Which (for the lazy) shows the larger girth of bar as 2.5 times stiffer! Pro-rata, one generally doesn't consider 250% changes as minor tweaks...

Old thread I know -
    Are 21mm TBs off another car or a custom unit? Anyone have any leads for me?

Custom order. 309PUG on the uk site makes goos stuff. U may find a second hand set on here if you post up. They were not on other cars. You will also want to get a thicker arb. These can be had from a gti6 or xsara vts. They will need machining down to the 25 rear beam length. Probably recommend dping the arb before the bars. Makes a mich bigger difference and you can retain your nice ride with standard springs for the road. Ive gone up to 21mm bars and they are as stiff as ypu want to go for the road.

Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

VIP Sponsor

I'll just chuck in something about my car here.
    I have a gravel 205 rally car, I have settled for the moment on 160 lb front springs, no front ARB, rear 20mm Tbs and an Si Rear ARB of 15mm. Shocks are Koni yellows on the front, the 205 Challenge Bilsteins were bottoming out very harshly for some reason and Challenge spec Bilsteins on the rear which work perfectly.
    This works very well both on gravel and surprisingly also on bitumen, much better response and less body roll than my standard S1 205 GTi which has 195 50 Bridgestone Adrenalines on 15 inch S3 wheels.
    Goes to show that stiffer isn't always the way to go!
    I mentioned this setup to Andy Baker in the UK and he thought it made sense, just maybe an increase to 180 lb springs in the front which I will probably do as there is still a tendency to bottom out in big square edged potholes.

Graham

Sounds like a nice setup Graham.

I have machined a 24mm ARB while I did the rear disc brake conversion, and was thinking a set of 21mm TBs would be the go, but you've both got me thinking about what to do...

I too am a believer that stiffer isn't alway better. I'm really unsure of what set up to go for - I really just want to eliminate some understeer in low speed corners. At the moment I've got completely stock original front and rear set up at stock height, with all new bushes, running 14" pepperpots with Dunlop Z1 star specs. I find the rear to squirm around a little to much in high speed corners so I've got a set of solid beam mounts, but other than that I am actually pretty impressed with the way it handles at speed. Too much understeer on the low speed "S" bends though at Collingrove hill climb (where I do most events), and this is why I thought a stiffer rear would be the way to go. I really am lost with suspension, haha! Maybe the answer then is to try one thing at a time: I'll chuck the 24mm ARB in because I have it, and keep the standard TBs, and just lower it by 25mm all round (I'll just reset the stock front springs). With the solid beam mounts it should be a different animal anyway!

Thread Information