205 GTI Starter Motor
  • Help

Default 205 GTI Starter Motor

May need to replace starter and already have small lighter type. Can you replace from above without removing intake manifold by just removing throttle body, AFM and intake hoses ? Also is there a gasket in between throttle body and intake manifold ?

Advertisement

I couldn't! And not for lack of trying either...

From memory, yes, I think there is a gasket between the TB and the manifold.

Pat
    205 gti-6

205 track car build in progress http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

So too tight to work on or too tight to get out ? Or both ?

Fellow Frogger!

Think it might be a rubber o ring between the throttle body and manifold. Can't help with the rest sorry.

Thanks all might attack it on the weekend : )

Hey ANdrew,

You will want to commit suicide if you attempt to change without removing the Inlet. It can but done but is so much easier to remove everything else.

THere is an O-ring on the throttle body but it stays on there Im pretty sure.

Once you have removed all the bolts holding the inlet on ( 5x 13mm i think ), there is also a brace that holds the inlet to the block under the front side of the inlet that will have you scratching your head. I think its a 13mm nut/bolt and can be unbolted from the inlet, or the block. You will slice your hand up getting to it thanks to the radiator...

Get all that out of the way and you will have clear access. They are normally big cap screws requiring a decent allen key to remove.

Make sure you mark or take note of the position of things like the throttle cable etc ( if you end up removing that ) so when you put it back its as it was and your idle will be smooth!

Also, the inlet manifold gasket can sometimes fall apart/tear when removing, might be worthwhile replacing it or getting one if yours gets damaged. If you have a plastic inlet then ignore this advice!

Might also be an idea and a good time to clean out your inlet and Throttle body of debris/oil etc while you have it all apart.

Have fun!

Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

VIP Sponsor

I almost did it it on a Citroen BX, DFZ engine.
    The thing that stopped me was access to the cable on the solenoid!
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ch View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ch View Post
    I can't exactly remember what brought me to the conclusion that the manifold had to come off - but I remember plenty of swearing and cut knuckles on the way to working it out!

I didn't have to remove the TB from the manifold, just undid the manifold from the head and left it dangling there, to gave me some room to move.

Might it also be possible/easier to leave the manifold on and remove the radiator and attack it from front on!?

Pat
    205 gti-6

205 track car build in progress http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Quote Originally Posted by cam85 View Post
    Hey ANdrew,

...there is also a brace that holds the inlet to the block under the front side of the inlet that will have you scratching your head....

Cam
    Ha ha - yup, that one got me too.
    205 gti-6

I've removed and replaced a few 205 gti starters with the manifold in place. While not a fun job, its not that hard.
    2006 Peugeot 206 Xt
    1991 Toyota mx83 grande 1jzgte

You can replace the starter motor without removing the manifold. Instead, you will need to remove the front slam panel and radiator.

VIP Sponsor

Manifold is much easier, just getting the hoses off the radiator can be a real pain.
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by MR_205Mi16 View Post
    You can replace the starter motor without removing the manifold. Instead, you will need to remove the front slam panel and radiator.

I find cleaning out the throttle body and inlet manifold help the idle a lot. It's noticibly smoother. It's really not that difficult once you've done it a couple of times. Just a pain having to fit a new gasket every time!

Thread Information