Can someone run over my plans for an xu10 build?
  • Help

Default Can someone run over my plans for an xu10 build?

Trying to build a budget performance motor, after i discovered the 1.9 mi16 i have is trash. Not sure if ive missed something.

- Buy a gti6 (RFS) motor from a wrecker
    - Hone cylinder walls for longer stroke clearance at the top, new rings, shave piston crowns by 1mm
    - Fit 88mm mi16 crank (in my posession)
    - fit a 1.9 mi16 head, reco'd (i realise brings down comp slightly, dont have to go and buy new manifolds)
    - new seals, bearings, belt, blah blah blah

Oh, was also going to get a 306 battery/ecu tray, so the wiring will be much tidier.

Once i get tired of that, i might rebuild it with the smaller crank and turbo the thing, then get forged internals and go from there, or just get a 306

Advertisement

Comments?
    The wrong oil is better than no oil at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Capago
    Comments?
    It's still a lot of work! Who will cut the pistons down - Adrian, Peter or someone else? You'd surely need to rebalance everything, too.

Ironically, in ten years the Commodore may be more valuable than a modded 205...

Probably local machine shop, can deliver straight to my workbench at work lol

on that note, the clutch in the commodore exploded yesterday, no thanks to the wet weather! thinking either ebay it and get what i can, or ebay clutch for 150 bucks lol

If it's just the friction disc I have at least one off a Borg-Warner Falcon box that would probably fit. Otherwise, yes Fleabay clutches are usually on parity with trade from mobs like BrakePro.

Fellow Frogger!

Why stuff with the gti6 motor?
    Adrian Wuillemin

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    If it's just the friction disc I have at least one off a Borg-Warner Falcon box that would probably fit. Otherwise, yes Fleabay clutches are usually on parity with trade from mobs like BrakePro.
    Na this comes with the pressure plate and release bearing too! Probably one of those things I put in, not say anything and sell the car..

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Wuillemi View Post
    Why stuff with the gti6 motor?
    The mob I got a quote from wanted 900 for a 2l mi16 because it was interstate, they had plenty of rfs engines in stock for 700. Made sense to me.

Unless I should just do a belt and throw the thing in as is with standard gti6 wiring and unlocked ecu on the cheap from England? Also have to get an exhaust manifold and wedge plate from Peter/custom down pipes and intake. Set aside the autronic until I'm ready to build up the motor?

Default Can someone run over my plans for an xu10 build?

GTi6 + cams + Autronic + suitable gearbox + LSD is all you need for stunning performance.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

You forgot the free delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    You forgot the free delivery.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X_Ot0k4XJc

Peter, im reluctant to use the Autronic for now, because A im not 100% sure what im doing, and B, relating to A, suspect the cause of the motors death was the autronic. Using the inductive pickup through the spark plug lead i think was the cause of my troubles to begin with.

When the timing changed as per the engine speed and load (i used the map you had and modified settings accordingly to my setup), my guess is this would immediately cause the cylpulseoffset value to be immediately wrong, and then the timing would go further away from what is on the map, if you follow, so i'll use the 2L cam trigger in the future as it is fixed.

However, i'd then need to buy a CDI system, moving away from the ignition modules, dont like the autronic setup with them. a suitable M&W + leads + coils would be over 1200 yes? My train of thought at the moment is to stick the 1.9 head on , or at least a reground 1.9 cam and run the dizzy (not sure if its possible in the RFS head), and purchase a Haltech sprint 500 which will come in under the cost of a CDI system, and being more consumer orientated, i'd feel more confident in making it work. I'd use the autronic later, but it needs some repairs done, i damaged a capacitor with my shaky youth hands with my soldering iron, although it stopped running before i attempted the 60-2 trigger wheel mod, that was an attempt to fix it, and clear the cyl/cam sync errors im sure you noticed but caused no running issues, 4:3 i think it was

My goal at the moment is not ultimate power, its good, reliable power, at the lowest cost (who wouldnt want that?) and minimal fuss. besides, i can recoup the money on the haltech very easily, they always seem to be snapped up on ebay very quickly. I'll go the straight gti6 for now

Also ive got the mi16 box i purchased off Adrian a while ago, and it had a quaife in it before i put the autronic in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Capago View Post
    Peter, im reluctant to use the Autronic for now, because A im not 100% sure what im doing, and B, relating to A, suspect the cause of the motors death was the autronic. Using the inductive pickup through the spark plug lead i think was the cause of my troubles to begin with.
    I'm not clear of what you did, but before I bought the car, the Autronic ran for a long time with the dizzy. As the GTi6 has a cam sensor, it makes setup easy. As for ignition, you don't need a CDI just because I have one. The ignition output of the SMC is constant duty. This means you could use an intelligent ignitor(s), MSD, CDI etc. to drive the coils. Bosch 008 is an example of an early intelligent ignitor. There are plenty of equivalents. Do a search. I think BIM124 may be one, which is far more common today. Just get it checked/fixed. I will help you set it up. It's far superior to a Haltech 500.

I didn't have any errors! Certainly the diagnostic light didn't show any.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

I wired in the inductive pickup into the line of the cam trigger, as the diagram says. I had it running fine for about a month but ventured out a handful of times up and down the old pacific highway for testing.

I got a module from the guys at quickfit and that didnt work, i lost the one you gave me. it turned up and worked anyway...seemed like less hassle and everyone i speak to can only supply a 008 equivalent, which people say doesnt work, as i found out.

Im aware its more superior, but im just over the hassle this car is causing me, im about to loose interest in the pug im that sick of it. Throwing money at it to no avail. need to sell the commodore to fund it so i cant be without a car for too long.
    Last edited by Capago; 8th October 2012 at 08:36 PM.

Ring Dale.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
    Ring Dale.
    From Where? I'd rather go to Silverwater auto services if i get it tuned, My mate raves about his tune on his xr5 turbo from SAS, they do autronic as well.

There are options. For example, I just pickup up this bargain MSD MC-1 on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/300786463...#ht_500wt_1142

It's a fairly unique box as it has two MSD's in one box, perfect for running wasted spark. I doubt anyone else knew as I was the only bid. I fitted one to BIGRR's XU10J4R powered 205.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Chris Dale is in Newcastle. He's a guru on the Autronic forum. I'll text his number.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

I saw those units a while ago, then thought of the price, in terms of you get what you pay for. Connect that to two 2 post coils?

Ah ok yes ive got his number

Like this, but substitute points with two ignition outputs from ECU.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Can someone run over my plans for an xu10 build?-screen-shot-2012-10-08-8.50.01-pm.jpg  

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

now to find one...

I'll buy the gti6 motor, and i'll go from there

I suppose you could run two of these. Get's a bit bulky however:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MSD-Stree...item3f1cffe52f

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

not so much for that, but i'll keep an eye on it

Peter: looks alright, would only be a temporary setup though, due to size
    Last edited by Capago; 8th October 2012 at 10:45 PM.

Thread Information