Windows Security Warning

JBN

John
1000+ Posts
I don't know what I have done wrong today, but this evening whenever I log on to AussieFrogs, I get this Windoze security message about wanting to view secure and unsecure content.

Does anyone know what I should do to switch this bloody message off. Its driving me crazy. Its not just AussieFrogs, its also Froggy Chat, Citroen Forum, Humour, Toad Pond.

John

I'm getting this message, too. As you have possibly noticed, it also stops you from using the navimagation panel.

It may not be you. It could be the result of an automatic Windows update.

I have Windows 7. Action Center in this version replaces Windows Security Center in earlier version. It permits fiddling with firewall and internet security settings. I don't use the Windows security, I use other security software, but they normally allow you to add sites to "safe site" list, which is the avenue I would be exploring.

If not sure where to find it, searching for Windows Security in the help feature should take you to the right area.

I think it was caused by Automatic Update of Internet Explorer. I have switched off Auto Updates to prompt me that there are updates available rather than going ahead and causing me grief.

I have also gone though the Internet Options in the Security Centre and switched off a Prompt to be Enable instead. That has got me back to enjoying AussieFrogs without the prompts.

If I am having a bad day on my laptop, I wander over to my desktop which is NOT connected to the Internet. Most of the software on that is 10 years out of date - Windows XP, Office 2003 (a dodgy version installed before Windows started checking for illegal versions of Microsoft software. My laptop came with a later version of XP which rejected my dodgy Office 2003, so I have Office 98 on it. Its sufficient for my use of Word and Excel and Powerpoint. Sometimes (particularly when inserting graphics into Word), I do it on the desktop with Office 2003 and copy it to a USB to transfer to the laptop. Word 98 is happy to display the result.

When this laptop dies, I will have to get a new one with Windows 7 and Office ? chockablock with features that I am not interested in.

John

I use Google Chrome/WinXP SP3

I note in the address bar the "https" has a red slash through it. The comments suggest the AF site is not considered "secure".

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 226
In addition to the 'security' message, I am getting a message when I leave a page on the forum saying something like "do you want to leave this page or save changes that you have made". Also very annoying.

Could there be a security certificate or something for the site that has just expired that is causing the security messages?

In addition to the 'security' message, I am getting a message when I leave a page on the forum saying something like "do you want to leave this page or save changes that you have made". Also very annoying.

Could there be a security certificate or something for the site that has just expired that is causing the security messages?

Sounds about right, we're onto it :)

Cheers
Chris

I am thinking it's the site host trying to get around ad-blocking code, by making every page secure.

i think fivedoor is on the right idea. i noticed a very similar sort of message with a completely different sort of URL, at work last night.

Chris: while the AF nerve centre is considering technical issues, note that since my iPhone updated Tapatalk a day or so ago, i can no longer use AF. the other forum i can access using Tapatalk is behaving normally.

Quick and dirty fix

Same prob: let Win XP updates run (I only let it run on it asking rather that let autobug {oops, I meant Windows auto update ... nah, I really meant autobug} destroy the system without my knowledge - but forgot to check what the updates were), but can't find the setting it changed. :( Would love to know what the prob/fix is: but my 'quick and dirty' solution is to use the Firefox browser instead. (Presume any other one to IE will work?). Is a better browser really - just too lazy to change over properly.

Cheers
Bryce

Same prob: let Win XP updates run (I only let it run on it asking rather that let autobug {oops, I meant Windows auto update ... nah, I really meant autobug} destroy the system without my knowledge - but forgot to check what the updates were), but can't find the setting it changed. :( Would love to know what the prob/fix is: but my 'quick and dirty' solution is to use the Firefox browser instead. (Presume any other one to IE will work?). Is a better browser really - just too lazy to change over properly.

Cheers
Bryce

Bryce,
I think the problem is at our end and not MS - I've used different browsers and whilst the message changes the irritation is still present.

As mentioned if it is simply a security certificate we'll attend to it :)

Cheers
Chris

If you use Chrome you will get a "crossed red padlock" and the "https" is crossed out preceding ://www.aussiefrogs.com on the browser address bar.

This means the connection to the site is secure (ie certificate valid) but links on the initial website may link other sites don't have a valid certificate.

The Renault forum again?

There is also some indication after googling that the recent update for Adobe flash player, which for the unwary (it's able to be have the check box cleared) contained a McAffee toolbar bundled may also a cause of the problem on Internet Destroyer.

I don't think it is windows problem.

I don't get it on Chrome, but then I don't run Window security.