25 GTX Gearbox (manual)
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 25 GTX Gearbox (manual)

I am looking at a 25 on carsales.com.
    It has a chipped diff. Will the 20 box go into the 25?
    Cheers.

Advertisement

youre in luck - its a series 2 car which runs a NG3 box as found in Fuegos. R20 box different, but should be able to use Fuego internals in this R25

If it is the NG3 fitted, there are minor ratio differences too between the Fuego and 25. As well the 25 NG3 has the sensor for the electronic speedo. But I suppose if you didn't want to split the 25 casing and replace the broken bits with Fuego gears, to use the existing speedo sensor, some other arrangement for the speedo pulse could probably be organised.

The Renault 20 gearbox would likely be the 5 speed 369 which is physically a lot larger than the NG3 and has a lot in common with the UN1 used in the early 25's. But again the 369 has a cable driven speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman
    I am looking at a 25 on carsales.com.
    It has a chipped diff. Will the 20 box go into the 25?
    Cheers.
    Hi sherman
    The UN style box in the R25 is different and is not the same in some respects as the R20 ( although a lot of the design is the same and the R20 box evolved into the UN style gearbox ) which just to start with has a cable drive speedo and a diff with no tming interuptor for a electronic speedo as in the R25. I did not know of the R25 coming in to this country with the NG style of box ( exept as private import 2 Litre or such ) as in the R21.
    Dont bother to try and put the R20 box in although it is possible but with so much effort and extra engineering you would spend more $ than sourcing a good UN style box. If you did want to put the NG style box in then the best to go for would be a R21 they have the casting provision for the speedo pickup and the diff is machined to be able to slip on the speedo timing ring however very late fuego boxes do the same , but if it does not then a good machining shop could do this. Of course if you still feel like doing this then you will also need a set of R25 auto drive shafts just to complete the picture. Starting to sound a bit expensive yeah!. I would go for a good UN1 box as behind the 2.2 litre they are pretty indestructable and it would be bad luck or poor servicing that causes one to break. You did not say if the car is currently a auto but most of the above applies except you already have the drive shafts.

Hope this sheds some light on this Regards Mark

Quote Originally Posted by MARK BIRD
    I did not know of the R25 coming in to this country with the NG style of box ( exept as private import 2 Litre or such ) as in the R21.
    There was the leaded petrol B29E 25GTX, with the UN1 and hydraulic clutch, and the later unleaded B29B 25GTX with the NG3 sold in conjunction with the mechanically identical 21 TXE. All of these were officially sold in AUS.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    There was the leaded petrol B29E 25GTX, with the UN1 and hydraulic clutch, and the later unleaded B29B 25GTX with the NG3 sold in conjunction with the mechanically identical 21 TXE. All of these were officially sold in AUS.
    R25 info correct, but R21 only shared the motor. The manual was also an NG type, but a bit different (clutch setup, mountings etc). Rest of car totally different to an R25 and more like an R19.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    Yeah copy that on the NG gearbox, Saw the car on the net and noticed the slim door protector strips and that jogged my memory thanks,
    The box I used to convert a freinds Auto R25 to a manual was a R21 and I had no problems and converted to hydralic clutch activation. However the UN rules so far as a strong box goes.
    thanks Mark

Thread Information