strange prob, Laguna V6
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default strange prob, Laguna V6

Hi guys,
    I have a '96 Laguna V6 auto. It has an intermittent problem that's driving me up the wall.
    When the engine is cold AND there is high moisture in the air (ie, rain or cool mornings) I get what feels like 'fuel starvation symptoms' that last for 3-4 mins. Once the engine is warmed up, she runs beautifully like nothing happened. During these 3-4 mins, she won't stall but will idle low and rough and I am unable to accelerate at all, although 'blipping' the throttle will get it up to 1500 rpm before falling again.
    It has been hooked up to the XR25 diagnostic machine and no errors or faults were found. The fuel pump was replaced a year ago and fuel filter just last month which did help the problem for awhile but it's back again.
    The car is in Malaysia and we do get some really wet days, although it's hot most of the time.
    Can anyone help?

Advertisement

Possibly the water temp sender for the computer is somewhat defective. Relatively cheap and easy to replace. Should read approx 2500 ohms cold to 200 ohms when hot
    '56 Renault 4CV (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '82 Renault Fuego GTX
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '02 and '03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee+

1000+ Posts

Well, also check the air temp sensor. Are the injectors clean? 'Dirty' injectors can make idle rough for a few minutes

Tadpole

Thanks. Will look into those items.

If its still under warranty just demand Renault fix it.... Surely Renault have diagnostic computers to check these things.

Tadpole

Nah, warranty ran out ages ago. But my mechanic has just traced it to a faulty potentiometer in the throtle switch. He's going to try servicing it otherwise get a new part. And being such a rare model here, it'll probably need to be ordered from France.

it'll probably need to be ordered from France
    Most likely I would say....

For the first 3-4 minutes of driving, the ecu is in open loop mode, and then goes to closed loop, where the mixture is corrected by the lambda sensor. So basically you have a sensor fault (or out of range, as the Xr25 would pick up a 'fault') Throttle pot could be out of adjustment, air or coolant sensor could be out. Try unplugging them one at a time, as the ecu will go into default get you home mode, but it may be better than a sensor thats out of range. You should be able to work out what is the culprit then.

BTW, other thing it could be is fuel supply/fuel injectors. Low pressure/low flow on open loop, and then all the ecu does is widen the pulse rate on the injectors on closed loop to compensate.

Quote Originally Posted by voyager
    Nah, warranty ran out ages ago. But my mechanic has just traced it to a faulty potentiometer in the throtle switch. He's going to try servicing it otherwise get a new part. And being such a rare model here, it'll probably need to be ordered from France.
    If its a red pot, then they are normally made by Colvern, which is a UK company, but they are used widely by lots of aftermarket ecu companies, such as Motec, Autronic, so you may be able to match up the part number printed on it...

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by danielsydney
    Most likely I would say....
    How very observant...
    2013 Grand Kangoo
    2011 Megane 3 RS
    2001 Clio Sport 172 (23/85)
    1997 Spider (No. 652)
    1988 5 GT Turbo Phase II
    1968 10

How very observant... <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

1000+ Posts

Default Appreciate the helpful posts.

For the V6 Laguna owners (even the recent owners like myself,) its great to have these helpful replies, particularly to me, used to cars that I can pull apart and just about fix anything, but completely lost when it comes to these newfangled computer everything cars

Keep the information coming - particularly any common issues that may be addressed by a known fix. I appreciate your knowledge.

Ken

Fellow Frogger!

Default Agreed

Ken

Wish I had known about this site when I had the 95 Laguna, if so I may well have still been driving it.

Glad you like the Laguna I really cant understand why they are not better accepted.

Still when I looked at one my wife vetoed it due to problems with our old one.

I think Renault missed the boat with us when new ones came out, both myself and brother had immaculate 95 v6. A bit of inflated trade in may have assisted us to forget the Volvo and subsequent lack of support.

I do enjoy reading of your experience as I still have a soft spot for them.

Graelin

Tadpole

Thanks again for the replies. I will pass the info on to my mechanic buddy.
    It was interesting to note that V6 Lagunas sold in Malaysia were all Aussie spec'd, found that out by chance when I was looking for a part at the local Renault dealer in Toulouse last year. After keying in the chassis no. he asked if my car was in Australia.

1000+ Posts

Default Great to have posts on V6"s

Quote Originally Posted by Graelin
    Ken

Wish I had known about this site when I had the 95 Laguna, if so I may well have still been driving it.

Glad you like the Laguna I really cant understand why they are not better accepted.

Still when I looked at one my wife vetoed it due to problems with our old one.

I think Renault missed the boat with us when new ones came out, both myself and brother had immaculate 95 v6. A bit of inflated trade in may have assisted us to forget the Volvo and subsequent lack of support.

I do enjoy reading of your experience as I still have a soft spot for them.

Graelin
    Yes Graelin, and I understand.

I really liked the Laguna when it came out in Australia, but baulked at spending the dollars (pricing had still to be decided) and the Fuego was o.k. for fun. It was only recently that when the bosses car (wife) decided to quit that the opportunity arose for change - originally was going to buy a scenic as a practical vehicle for the wife to drive, as every woman that I have spoken to that drives one loves the scenic - mine didn't so thats how I conned her into the Laguna (for me to drive!!)

Funny thing that all cars have something go wrong with them and the Laguna will be no different I'm sure and what we all like to hear is how those minor or major glitches can be fixed, so I for one welcome hearing more fixes as the cars age, as i don't see this as a problem per se.

What I hate is when you share information and someone interprets this exchange of information and tips as a reason for not buying that type of car! hoping to influence new car buyers to steer clear and buy something else.

The fact that we have this free exchange (and honesty) is the best backup and friend a car buyer can have, the more the better for mine.

Regards

Ken

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by voyager
    Hi guys,
    I have a '96 Laguna V6 auto. It has an intermittent problem that's driving me up the wall.
    When the engine is cold AND there is high moisture in the air (ie, rain or cool mornings) I get what feels like 'fuel starvation symptoms' that last for 3-4 mins. Once the engine is warmed up, she runs beautifully like nothing happened. During these 3-4 mins, she won't stall but will idle low and rough and I am unable to accelerate at all, although 'blipping' the throttle will get it up to 1500 rpm before falling again.
    It has been hooked up to the XR25 diagnostic machine and no errors or faults were found. The fuel pump was replaced a year ago and fuel filter just last month which did help the problem for awhile but it's back again.
    The car is in Malaysia and we do get some really wet days, although it's hot most of the time.
    Can anyone help?
    Hi Voyager, in case u did'nt find the miss.
    Yes, I had exactly the same problem on my Laguna V6 several years ago. It was frustrating and annoying, fuel consumtion was above 14l/100, the cathalytic conv. was overheating and 3 Renault dealers were charging like hell trying to find the problem and never found it (like changing sparkplug cables & cleaning fuel injection several times etc.). I then went back to basics. Renault Lagunas have very small pins in their plugs therefore have small contact surface and are proned to bad contact. (I had similar problems with powersteering and fog lights). In fact I was running on 4 cylinders when the intermittent miss occured.
    To solve the problem, unplug (looking from the front of the car) all the multipin plugs left of the Powersteering reservoir and reconnect them. One of them would have had bad contact and your problem should disappear. I did that and never had a miss since then, consumption is now around 11.6l/100 under the same conditions. Renault dealers could not with all their diagnostic equipment find in 18 months what in the end back to absolute basics I then did in 5 minutes. This seems to be the trend in modern technology: what cannot be seen on the diagnostic computer, cannot be found.
    Ps. Your Malaysian Laguna apparently comes up as an Austr. spec. car. My Austr. Laguna as a Japanese spec. car. Confusing I would say.

Regards,Frosch

Thread Information