How do you...
  • Help

Thread: How do you...

al

Default How do you...

Get into the speedo housing to replace the bloody needles in a fuego...? I haven't got the haynes with me, but i picked up some VL needles which will look (and work) a million times better.

Advertisement

Also, is it possible to pull the muffler off without cutting the rubber band things? I managed to get it off the donor car, but now can't pull the bands off mine...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

first pry out all the switches around the instrument panel, unplug the wires, there will be two screws under them at the bottom two switches, thety remove that surround, then there is two clips holding the cluster at the bottom, push them and pull the cluster out a bit, unplug all wires at the back, pry off the speedo cable. thus removed.
    Then get a falt head and uncliup the perspex, the perspex is glued to a black thing which is clipped on to the main bit, dont try and pry just the perspex on, it usuall cracks. but unclip the black clips.

you dont have to cut the rubber doughnuts, just have to use brute force and some lube.

hope this helps
    para un auto de rapido fuego

al

That's what i was after. Thanks heaps

1000+ Posts

Default Fuego exhaust rings

Al

I usually make up a lever hook system, but a couple of strong wire hooks and a long screw driver will usually do the trick, and the lube (rubber grease as used when assembling brake cups) helps twist the levers out when the ring settles on the exhaust hooks, if that makes sense.

Ken.

al

I just had a couple of free hours, so i set out to get the new muffler on, and the new needles in...

I've come to the conclusion that the bastard muffler rubber is impossible to get off... I started off with a metal hook, and then progressed to rope, but even with my full weight on the thing it wouldn't budge... After abusing it for a few minutes i decided that it wasn't going anywhere, so gave up for today...

Now with every muscle in my body strained i went and pulled the instrument panel out. This was much more sucessful, although i discovered that the tacho still doesn't work, even with a new straight needle.

I also sorted a few random things out, like the drivers door which was refusing to unlock. Generally though the car is starting to look good...

I too have strugled with those bloody rubbers, but having the right tool is important, and a hoist helps.They are not cheap, but an extra large set of multi-grips, will make that job alot easier..Is your tacho getting a pulse from the coil?? get a workshop manual,and check that out first. Maybe ken can elaborate some.
    Jo

al

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi
    I too have strugled with those bloody rubbers, but having the right tool is important, and a hoist helps.They are not cheap, but an extra large set of multi-grips, will make that job alot easier..Is your tacho getting a pulse from the coil?? get a workshop manual,and check that out first. Maybe ken can elaborate some.
    Jo
    I've got a haynes, i just haven't had a look at that bit yet as i have been looking at other things... The tacho seems to be getting something of a pulse though as it moves a little, but with little correlation with the engine speed.

Another quick question... The car has a few electrical problems, with the speedo/tacho/fuel etc and interior lights not working. Is this a common problem? Any simple fixes, or will the entire car have to be rewired?

Thanks anyway for all the advice, it's absolutely invaluable.

check fuse seating, earth points and clean the terminal blocks and printed circut material with electrical contact cleaner especially if the windscreen leaks
    Jo

al

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi
    check fuse seating, earth points and clean the terminal blocks and printed circut material with electrical contact cleaner especially if the windscreen leaks
    Jo
    Thanks Jo. Windscreen seems ok, but electrics in general are a bit shady. The electric windows/windscreen wipers are very slow, and the highbeams don't seem to work at all.

Thread Information