Floride S
  • Help

Thread: Floride S

Fellow Frogger!

Default Floride S

Can someone advise me are a Floride S and a caravelle basically the same car, one being sold in the USA (Caravelle) and the Floride being sold in Australia. My understanding is the Floide S has a 1131 motor is this correct? Thanks for any help cheers

Advertisement

A Floride S is the convertible version of the Caravelle, in Australia both cars were launched and on sale at the same time. The Floride S and Caravelle are both designated type R1131, with the 956cc R8 motor and the four wheel disc brakes on the R8 floorpan. The Floride S has the same sloping roofline of the earlier R1092 Floride with the roof being detachable, and the car having the fitted soft top. The Caravelle had the extended squarer roofline, but the roof was not intended to be easily detachable and there was no soft top fitted. The Floride S was discontinued when the Caravelle was fitted with the 1108cc motor.

In the States, the R1092 (Dauphine based) Floride was sold as a Caravelle, but in all other markets it was known as a Floride, until the R8 based Caravelle and Floride S were introduced.

Fellow Frogger!

Default Floride S for sale

Thanks very much Simon, There is a Floride S for sale over here Engine number 689 02 13765 . The bloke is asking $6900 for it . The way I figure it thats about a fair ask if the car is at the top end of average given that prices of $12000 and $13000 have been asked in Melbourne What do you or others think Cheers

A friend recently sold a near concours, very low mileage Caravelle for $9000. It was never officially advertised.
    '56 Renault 4CV (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '82 Renault Fuego GTX
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '02 and '03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee+

If it is a 689 motor, it would be the original 956cc spec. These blocks have been known to crack or grow (John W would know about that) no doubt there would also be others that are fine, so make sure that the car runs OK to start with. The key with a Floride/ Caravelle is the body, there is lots of double and triple skinning in the car, and if not properly cared for they are very prone to rust.

Also make sure that the windows fit the top. There are cases where people have bolted a Caravelle convertible top onto a Floride, only to find that the door glass is different between the cars and the windows don't seal properly.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Simon and Alan . If anyone hears of a good Floride S or Caravelle I would be interested . I went to look at the one I mentioned and it drove OK . The body was a liittle rough , it had had some rust cut out and had been plated and bogged up but not well or evenly . There was some evidence of some rust that had been missed . Overall itwas a bit ordinary IMO . I decided to leave it to someone else Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by glenough
    Thanks Simon and Alan . If anyone hears of a good Floride S or Caravelle I would be interested . I went to look at the one I mentioned and it drove OK . The body was a liittle rough , it had had some rust cut out and had been plated and bogged up but not well or evenly . There was some evidence of some rust that had been missed . Overall itwas a bit ordinary IMO . I decided to leave it to someone else Cheers
    There was a slightly rough one on the fringe of the Cit-in on Sunday. Unless the body is very nice, I wouldn't touch one. If nice, they're quite special. We had a Caravelle in Kenya once.

Simon is right re blocks on 956 motors. Abandon the block and get a later one.....

Cheers

JohnW

Default 2 for sale in Adelaide

FYI - Collectible Classics in Adelaide had 2 early last month - 1 Floride S & 1 Caravelle - both 1962 models I think. (Looks like at least 1 left.) The price may have dropped by the looks of things - I stopped & had a look & though I'm not an expert, they seemed to be quite tidy IMHO.

PS - Floride S had the later Sierra type engine - I think that's the one still on their web site.
    Last edited by Stu17; 31st March 2005 at 07:18 PM. Reason: PS
    Stu
    2008 Grand Scenic
    2000 Xantia SX
    :2006 Disco 3
    :mercedes: 1992 300TE
    Previous
    1974 12GL
    1974 17TL
    1976 12GL Wagon
    1974 17TS
    1982 20TS
    1986 25GTX

Was that the black and orange Floride S with ricey Floride S decals on the doors? It was an ex NSW car that migrated to SA in the early 1990's. That was for sale at Unique Auto's on Grange Rd for some time before they closed to pursue other interests early last year........

The other car at Collectible Classics would likely be the ex-Dennis Harrison Floride, dark blue with red trim.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for that information , I dont Know of Collectible Classics in Adelaide does anyone know of their Website I did a search of Collectible Classics Adelaide but didnt get it . I`d like to look at the car you mentioned. Thanks for any help you can give Simon Or Stu cfheers

http://collectableclassics.carpoint....ableclassicsAU

It was the one I was thinking of. Ex NSW rego OMO-095, the SA rego is UYS not UTS as in the ad. The car has been restored, with the black running down to the front of the car under the side chrome strip and the rear flanks being painted black, the division of the colour being the side pressings. Falcon mirrors too.......

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Simon Whats the car like?Not that it is any thing but academic At that cost plus transport It is probably out of reach at the moment what with an already full garage . It would be nice to know however Cheers

It would be about 12 years since I last saw the car so it is hard to say what it would be like now. The paint job is an acquired taste, overall the scheme is not too bad, it could lose the ricey Floride S script on the lower of the doors though, if you saw it I'm sure you would agree :-)

At the time the car looked fairly well done, but a good coat of paint can hide a whole lot of nasties especially on a Floride. You would have to have a good look to make sure it is as good as it looks. However, as it would now likely be about 17 years since it was repainted anything would likely be obvious.

The car would likely have been in storage for some time, the chap who owned it used to have a hardware store, and also imported a lot of LHD vintage Fiats back in the very late 1980's early 1990's when the subject Floride first turned up in Adelaide. It only made one appearance at an Adelaide FCD. In the mid 90's he must have retired as the business closed down and at the clearing auction there were some of the vintage Fiats that were unsold. They later appeared again in a Shannons auction, along with a very nice original Renault 750 also owned by the same person. The 750 sold for a healthy price but the Fiats did not reach reserve.

The Floride turned up again at a yard called Unique Cars here early last year, priced at $15K, then down to 12K and then the business closed under a bit of a cloud. Then Stu17 found it at CC's as above. Sorry for the rave, just setting the scene really that it could have been stood around for some time and could be suffering from the associated effects, or it could have been refettled after its long snooze. Geez what a rave, to say, I don't know a lot of recent history about that car :-)

I think Simon's hit the nail on the head. The only thing I could add is that I was surprised to hear the paint job was 17 years old...didn't look it. Whether that's a good or bad thing...
    Stu
    2008 Grand Scenic
    2000 Xantia SX
    :2006 Disco 3
    :mercedes: 1992 300TE
    Previous
    1974 12GL
    1974 17TL
    1976 12GL Wagon
    1974 17TS
    1982 20TS
    1986 25GTX

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks very much for that information,ai this stage I`ll keep looking ........cheers

Thread Information