Fuego water pump bolt
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Fuego water pump bolt

How does one remove the waterpump on the Fuego. The 25 has more than one bolt allowing one to lever one bolt head against the other. Not so the Fuego. What's the trick?

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Renault25
    How does one remove the waterpump on the Fuego. The 25 has more than one bolt allowing one to lever one bolt head against the other. Not so the Fuego. What's the trick?
    I used a wheel brace, in gear from memory.
    Powered by high grade French plutonium.

1000+ Posts

Default Fuego water pump removal

As far as I can recall, I have never had any difficulty in removing the water pump - just carefully undid it and then gave it a sharp rap on the housing with a wooden mallet and this breaks the adhesion.

I suppose if someone has glued the facings previously that could cause some trouble.

Ken

Dont think I had a problem either.
    Powered by high grade French plutonium.

Tadpole

Default Water pump pulley bolt?

Ok must allow for incorrect use of grammar:

How does one remove the water pump pulley retaining bolt from the water pump housing, allowing one to gain access to the water pump retaining bolts?

I know once the pulley is off it's all plain sailing, however..............

Do you use a giant pair of multigrips to hold the pulley or what?

1000+ Posts

Default Fuego Water pump removal

Quote Originally Posted by Renault25
    Ok must allow for incorrect use of grammar:

How does one remove the water pump pulley retaining bolt from the water pump housing, allowing one to gain access to the water pump retaining bolts?

I know once the pulley is off it's all plain sailing, however..............

Do you use a giant pair of multigrips to hold the pulley or what?

Renault25

The large bolt head is like a flange holding the pulley, the screwed section into the pump body is quite small, using a 27mm socket on the hex section should enable you to undo the nut while holding the external flange, or have a mate hold it while you undo it anti clockwise.

The pulley cannot turn on the spindle as it fits to a flat on that pump spindle. The hand held tourqe (at the outside diameter of the pulley) should be enough to undo the bolt given the small relative size of the internal cscrew section.

I have the idea also that I have been able to undo the nuts to the pump housing and gently use the loosened nuts to pry the pump body outwards (taking care not to damage the pulley) and by sharply tapping on the body itself to break the adhesion. (don't worry about damaging the pump body as it is replaced as a unit)

If you have the replacement pump already SIL PA 413 you will see what I mean about the size of the central screw - If the pump comes off by prying against the pulley etc, then you can just grip the interior impellor section in a vice and easily undo the centre bolt that holds the pulley onto the pump spindle.

Hope that is as clear as possible, its been a while since I had to change pumps on any of the Fuegos' owned by our clan

Ken (Good luck!)

Tadpole

Default pump pulley bolt

Ken

Thanks for the advice, you must have a strong grip to hold the pulley and unscrew! I used a pair of vicegrips to gently hold it. Replaced without dramas.

Thread Information