R20 ignition switch meltdown
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Icon5 R20 ignition switch meltdown

hi

had to go rescue my wife's 20TS today, which had just stopped dead while on the go. She couldn't remove the key and there were no dashlights working.
    Thinking the barrel was stuffed I removed it pulled it apart and discovered the plastic housing for the terminals had melted a bit thus losing electrical contact. Hotwired it, started fine, ran for about five then stopped dead at a busy intersection (cnr Bell st and St Georges rd!!!) Connections were burning hot! looked like the the wire that lights up the dashlights was the culprit. Anyway got a push into the servo on the corner, and waited for the RACV. Eventually noticed the short was gone and I got it started and drove home 5 mins away. Thought it might be caused from the fan coming on so left it to get warm enough, but the wires didn't show any sign of getting even warm. What could it be - I don't want to fit a new switch till I'm sure the problem's gone for good.

Advertisement

Any Ideas????

Fellow Frogger!

You have a short somewhere and where it is burning is a good place to start looking. I have spare ignition locks.

Fellow Frogger!

thanks Sherman,

Took awhile to get any takers to the thread!

The only melted wires I,ve found are 2 grey ones coming from the coils connector, but I can't find the cause!!!!

What should I look for????????

It is still shorting occasionally and stopping the car.

leith

Check out the situation under the bonnet.

If I remember rightly there are two wires to the carb....one to the choke and one to the solenoid idle valve. I recall that the low tension coil circuit on my last 20 went into meltdown when one of them shorted against the carb body.

It could be worth investing the money in an hour with an auto electrician - a short like that is not something you can ignore and will prove very expensive if it melts the harness or starts a fire.

Good luck with it.

Woo Hoo Honi ko'u 'elemu (Hawaiian)

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by BogMaster
    Check out the situation under the bonnet.

If I remember rightly there are two wires to the carb....one to the choke and one to the solenoid idle valve. I recall that the low tension coil circuit on my last 20 went into meltdown when one of them shorted against the carb body.

It could be worth investing the money in an hour with an auto electrician - a short like that is not something you can ignore and will prove very expensive if it melts the harness or starts a fire.

Good luck with it.

Yeah I'll have a bit of a look tomorrow then I guess I'll have to pay someone to work on my car!

Thread Information