Renault Clio RS 2002 - Driveshaft replacements
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By HONG KONG PUGGY

Thread: Renault Clio RS 2002 - Driveshaft replacements

Default Renault Clio RS 2002 - Driveshaft replacements

Having split the outer boot on the driver side shaft and developed a tear in the passengers side inner boot during the Southern Cross Golden Anniversary Rally, the Clio needs replacements for its next event. I have a pair of sound second hand units, but the boots are likely to go the way of the originals if I keep pushing the car hard in autocross-style sub-events.
    Has anyone any recommendations re sourcing of new or reconditioned units, both OE and after-market please?

Advertisement

On another point, I believe the drive-shafts in the Cup model are slightly longer than the normal Sport. Can anyone confirm this and, if correct, by how much?

New driveshaft boots for the Clio are pretty common on Ebay and other on-line serrers, most are not genuine though.
    They're cheap and even though they usually come from Europe they normally pretty quick in getting here.
    If the rest of the driveshaft is okay just get them re-booted.
    Some of the glue-up types don't even need the drive shaft to come off the car.

Cheers
    Ren
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

I bought a genuine Renault boot for the Scenic Rx4 when I owned it. Very inexpensive. Just go genuine, you'll have less hassles and the parts are warrenteed for 12 months if fitted by a professional
    jaahn likes this.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Thanks for the replies to date; I'll install the second hand units for the next event and separately reboot the originals.

In my efforts to improve the ride height for rallying, I machined two polyurethane blocks to fit above the strut tops, effectively lifting the car 30mm. I fabricated two sleeve nuts to retain the struts. This works beautifully and the car is vastly improved on the rough. However a new problem has emerged, in that at full suspension droop, the lead harmonic balance ring on the l/h driveshaft now fouls the sub-frame. With this point suddenly a fulcrum, the inner end of the driveshaft now wants to jump out of its trident spline at the gearbox.

Clearly Renault have not gone to the trouble of adding this feature to this driveshaft without good reason, but can anyone advise whether they have experience on the downside of either (a) removing the lead ring entirely or (b) working it along the shaft towards the CV joint about 30mm to clear the sub-frame (in this regard I note the existing ring has moved about 10mm inwards, thus implying it is not permanently fixed to the shaft)

A more tedious solution involves cutting and re-welding the sub-frame to give the necessary clearance, so I am looking for a simpler way around the problem if practical.

I well recognize I am a bit of a rarity looking to raise the ride height but any comments would be appreciated.

I am pleased to discover that working the harmonic ring along the driveshaft turned out to be quite straightforward. I have nipped it up with a strong cable tie and hope it does not work back again, but I will keep an eye on it during next week's rally. If it proves less than ideal, I will make a jubilee clip from two small ones with the screws on opposite sides for balance purposes.

Thread Information