• Help
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By COL
  • 2 Post By COL
  • 1 Post By schlitzaugen

Thread: Battery Warning Light

Default Battery Warning Light

Hello fellow Renophiles,

My 2015 Megane is displaying a new message "Check Vehicle" the first time I start it each day. At the same time as the message displays the headlights flicker.

The handbook says this is to do with either a pedal sensor issue or the battery management system.

My money is on the latter as I jump started a vehicle with a flat battery on the weekend.

Any suggestions as to what to do now will be appreciated.

I'm booked in to the dealer on Monday, but I would prefer to render that unnecessary if possible.

Advertisement

Regards,

pj

Go to a auto sparky and get them to check it and most likely replace the battery.

Not sure if your car chucks a wobble with no battery, but a sparky should be able to change batteries without causing the radio to reset or any other system to fail.

Jo

1000+ Posts

Disconnect the battery and reconnect it. Bit dramatic and will need a password for the radio but it may reset the computer. But I agree the problem is possibly a new battery. A new battery has worked on my Latitude for a pedal sensor/low battery fault and disconnect reconnect on a Clio for the same fault. May be worth a try. The jump start may effect the battery voltage sensor but a computer reset at the correct voltage may remove the fault condition or it may need to have the fault deleted by a service man. I guess what I am saying is the battery management system has detected an incorrect voltage as when you connected to the other vehicle the battery voltage in your car dropped momentarily too low.

Thanks Jo,

Appreciated.

Regards,

pj

Thanks for that.

I was wondering if a new battery could be the answer... but it's only 2 years old. (First rego March 31 2015)

I will keep the list posted on the result.

Regards,

pj

COL

The car is under warranty, its a no brainer take it back to the dealer and get them to fix it.

The most it will cost you is a new battery and that may even have a two year warranty.
    Sunroof likes this.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

I think you'll find that the battery (and tyres) are only warranted for around 12 months as they're consumables and are excluded from the car warranty. Your owners manual should tell you the warranty on the battery. Anyway, it won't be under warranty if jump starting another vehicle has caused the fault so it might be wise not to mention this to the dealer.
    Even the cheapest car batteries should last for more than 2 years. But if the first rego was March 2015 the battery would be older than that of course. Look at the compliance plate, the build date would give a better indication of when the battery was fitted. If it was imported during a 'slow' period the car could have been in a holding yard for a while.
    If it is something other than the battery then yes, it should be a warranty job.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

COL

Quote Originally Posted by REN TIN TIN View Post
    I think you'll find that the battery (and tyres) are only warranted for around 12 months as they're consumables and are excluded from the car warranty. Your owners manual should tell you the warranty on the battery. Anyway, it won't be under warranty if jump starting another vehicle has caused the fault so it might be wise not to mention this to the dealer.
    Even the cheapest car batteries should last for more than 2 years. But if the first rego was March 2015 the battery would be older than that of course. Look at the compliance plate, the build date would give a better indication of when the battery was fitted. If it was imported during a 'slow' period the car could have been in a holding yard for a while.
    If it is something other than the battery then yes, it should be a warranty job.
    The warranty period starts from date of purchase so the battery could even be 3 years old.

Lead acid batteries don't like sitting for long periods without use, they like to be used regularly. ie: start the car and then be charged back up to capacity. From my experience there is no quicker way to kill these batteries than to sit for months without use.
    Regards Col

2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

Quote Originally Posted by COL View Post
    The car is under warranty, its a no brainer take it back to the dealer and get them to fix it.

I agree, Col.

Problem is, however, that the dealer can't fit me into his crowded schedule until Monday and we are a one car family that needs a reliable vehicle.

Meanwhile, the battery has all but died so I've replaced it and all now seems OK but I will still turn up on Monday to have the system checked as the battery should have been good for more than 2 years. (Build date Jan 2015)

Cheers,

pj

COL

The car also has road side assistance.

When the battery died I would have called the road side assistance number and let Renault fix it.

You have paid for the warranty and the road side assistance and it should be used, also that way the faults will get logged at Renault.
    Sunroof and Bustamif like this.
    Regards Col

2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

I learned a lot today....

I dropped the car at Metro Renault as planned and they found nothing wrong.

The conversation then went like this:

"You should have brought the car to us as the battery would have been covered by warranty. It's less than 2 years old"

"I tried, but you couldn't fit me in until today"

"Oh" .....then involves a senior customer service officer in conversation, who said " You should have called Renault Roadside Assistance" (see, Col was right)

"But the car wasn't broken down. I didn't NEED Roadside Assistance. I got it started and went to the battery shop"

"Well, there's nothing we can do but suggest you contact Renault Australia"

So, I came home, rang Renault Australia and the very nice lady there asked me to scan and email the receipt along with my bank details. So professional and easy to deal with.

So why can't the dealer be professional too?

And by the way, I can't find anything in the manual about jump starting except instructions on the correct way to get a jump start from another vehicle. I don't see anything to the effect that you shouldn't jump start another vehicle. Feel free to let me know if I've missed it somewhere. I'm surprised that I can't find something.

Cheers,

pj

Quote Originally Posted by Berlioz View Post
    I learned a lot today....

I dropped the car at Metro Renault as planned and they found nothing wrong.

The conversation then went like this:

"You should have brought the car to us as the battery would have been covered by warranty. It's less than 2 years old"

"I tried, but you couldn't fit me in until today"

"Oh" .....then involves a senior customer service officer in conversation, who said " You should have called Renault Roadside Assistance" (see, Col was right)

"But the car wasn't broken down. I didn't NEED Roadside Assistance. I got it started and went to the battery shop"

"Well, there's nothing we can do but suggest you contact Renault Australia"

So, I came home, rang Renault Australia and the very nice lady there asked me to scan and email the receipt along with my bank details. So professional and easy to deal with.

So why can't the dealer be professional too?
    Because they make money from selling cars and associated crap (paint protection) not from executing repairs under warranty.

My advice would have been to take the car back not when they tell you they can "fit you in" but when you need to. Hand over the towing receipt and ask for a refund and a courtesy vehicle until yours is fixed.

That'll get them moving.

If they refuse to give you a car, explain you only have one car and they will have to cover your movement needs (taxi, etc). Be prepared to mention "court action" and be prepared to do it (even better if you have a court decision in your favour - they won't try to pull off any crap next time). They will blacklist you, but you will get sterling service.

Sell the car before the warranty is out.
    Bustamif likes this.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Thread Information