Gates Timing Belt Kits with STEEL idler pulleys for Renault engines.
  • Help
Like Tree14Likes
  • 7 Post By Fordman
  • 2 Post By jaahn
  • 1 Post By JohnW
  • 4 Post By Fordman

Thread: Gates Timing Belt Kits with STEEL idler pulleys for Renault engines.

Default Gates Timing Belt Kits with STEEL idler pulleys for Renault engines.

December 2016: I have just received a Gates "Improved" cam belt kit from UK which includes steel idler pulleys in place of the original (genuine) plastic pulleys. The pulleys look nicely machined, and my first comparison with previously removed original parts from my 2003 Scenic with F4R 2.0 litre engine, is that it is the correct kit for my engine. The reason I say this is that I could only find the Gates "Improved" kit listed for Renault Sport engines, and the nearest model I could find would be the Clio Sport 2 - there are several kits for the F4R engine. One difference I was aware of, and confirmed with the supplier prior to purchase, was that it had a 128 tooth cam belt. There are also 127 tooth belts I think in some engines.

Advertisement

The belt in the Gates kit is a "Power Grip HTD" - which is same brand and type as OE in my engine.

Note, the kit contains a new tensioner pulley, same manufacturer as OE, and retaining the plastic running surface on the pulley, so only 2 of the 3 pulleys are steel. In my case, the pulley which I found was cracked at the first belt replacement, was one of the idler pulleys, and I am not sure if anyone has experienced a cracked tensioner pulley - they are quite different in design. I would have liked to see them all in steel.

It seems quite difficult to pin down the correct "Improved" kit for regular Megane, but the Megane Sport and Clio Sport engines are listed OK.
    The supplier I got mine from was Engine Dynamics Engine Dynamics but there are also listings on the Gates (UK) site. I couldn't get anywhere with the Gates (Aust) catalogue.

I also note that Gates have a full racing belt/pulley kit (has a blue coloured belt which is stronger, but I couldn't find info on longevity, which is all I am interested in).

Anyway, I am giving it a go, it does appear to be better than the genuine kit, and cost 105GBP plus 31GBP shipping (just under 2 weeks delivery to Perth), it's good value.

Couple of photos of the new kit, plus pic of OE cracked pulley for comparison.

Gates Timing Belt Kits with STEEL idler pulleys for Renault engines.-gates-02.jpgGates Timing Belt Kits with STEEL idler pulleys for Renault engines.-gates-kit-01.jpgGates Timing Belt Kits with STEEL idler pulleys for Renault engines.-gates-kit-03.jpgGates Timing Belt Kits with STEEL idler pulleys for Renault engines.-07_timing-belt-idler.jpg
    Last edited by Fordman; 23rd February 2018 at 01:44 AM.
    2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

1000+ Posts

Hi :0
    It's about bloody time someone did this. Thanks for posting the information. People might sleep better with those pulleys on
    Jaahn
    Fordman and JohnW like this.

Totally agree and many thanks for the information. Our #2 Scenic (did I hear someone echo "sad case"?) had 8 years on the belt when I bought it. I wasn't worried about the belt, but the pulley.......

Your wife's Scenic must be nearly run in by now.

Cheers, and thanks again.
    Fordman likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Totally agree and many thanks for the information. Our #2 Scenic (did I hear someone echo "sad case"?) had 8 years on the belt when I bought it. I wasn't worried about the belt, but the pulley.......

Your wife's Scenic must be nearly run in by now.
    Yes, just about run in, and well on the way to running out!

And that is the problem with the belt/pulley maintenance required, our Scenic is just on 13 years old now with only 112,000 kms on the odo. Replacing all the parts every 30000-40000 kms (due to the 4 year requirement) has not been an option for me, well, it's an option I have chosen not to accept. And as Jaahn says above, it's hard to sleep knowing there is a major potential problem hidden in there. Hence, I parked the Scenic a few months ago as I didn't want to push my luck too far (after 6 years), until I got around to ordering this improved kit. I could have just got a genuine kit again, but matters of principle are important!

Cheers
    Chris.
    Last edited by Fordman; 23rd February 2018 at 01:06 PM.
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

Default Finally, Steel Idlers and new belt installed.

February 2018: After 18 months in storage (parked because overdue for cam belt change and I didn't want to risk it), have finally dragged it out and done the job - replacing with the Gates kit (with steel idler pulleys) as per original post in this thread.

As the cam belt renewal has been covered many times, I'll just post some different angles, some related to the metal idler pulleys, and some just because I feel like it.

Photo 1 - Before removal - note plastic idlers centre right & lower left, identified by the ribs inside the pulleys. Previous installation belt and pulleys were all genuine Renault parts. That darned nylon fuel line (yellow sleeve) gets in the way everytime you do something, and I didn't want to disturb it.
    Gates Timing Belt Kits with STEEL idler pulleys for Renault engines.-p1100702_red.jpg
    Photo 2 - LH engine mount completely removed to allow engine to be moved as far as possible to gain room - only gives about 25mm more space on RH side.
    Gates Timing Belt Kits with STEEL idler pulleys for Renault engines.-p1100703_red.jpg
    Photo 3 - Engine/trans supported with jack sideways to allow movement.
    Gates Timing Belt Kits with STEEL idler pulleys for Renault engines.-p1100704_red.jpg
    Photo 4 - After installation of new belt and steel idlers (centre right and lower left), note no ribs in steel pulleys. Harmonic balancer has been re-installed.
    Gates Timing Belt Kits with STEEL idler pulleys for Renault engines.-p1100714_red.jpg
    Photo 5 - Made new seal for top of cam belt cover (Neoprene self adhesive strip from Clarks Rubber). Note cut-out made to centre right of this pic.
    Gates Timing Belt Kits with STEEL idler pulleys for Renault engines.-p1100717_red.jpg
    Photo 6 - Reason for the cut-out, to clear the stud - this is how restricted the space to work in is - this cut-out made it easy to install the cover.
    Gates Timing Belt Kits with STEEL idler pulleys for Renault engines.-p1100718_red.jpg
    Photo 7 - My "one man" set-up to torque up the harmonic balancer, using a jackstand as a rest.
    Gates Timing Belt Kits with STEEL idler pulleys for Renault engines.-p1100721_red.jpg
    Photo 8 - My "neighbour eliminator"! Screwdriver on starter ring gear, access hole previously made by me, wire is applying force against me torquing up the harmonic balancer - had to make it a one-man operation as neighbour was away.
    Gates Timing Belt Kits with STEEL idler pulleys for Renault engines.-p1100723_red.jpg
    Photo 9 - Cam locating tool in situ. Tool dimension is 5.0mm machined thickness to match cam slots. At TDC No1, slots are below centreline of cams.
    Gates Timing Belt Kits with STEEL idler pulleys for Renault engines.-p1100728_red.jpg
    Photo 10 - Crank locating pin in situ - that's the 8mm rod inserted into the block, next to the dipstick tube. Note texta mark on rod to confirm fully inserted. Rod length 160mm total, inserted length 50mm. Photo is looking down front of engine.
    Gates Timing Belt Kits with STEEL idler pulleys for Renault engines.-p1100730_red.jpg
    Photo 11 - New air induction hose, with old one sitting above. New hose from a local industrial supplier.
    Gates Timing Belt Kits with STEEL idler pulleys for Renault engines.-p1100733_red.jpg
    Photo 12 - I try to keep it looking OK under the bonnet - its 14 years old now, with 112000 kms.
    Gates Timing Belt Kits with STEEL idler pulleys for Renault engines.-p1100743_red.jpg
    Photo 13 - Main parts replaced at this repair/service, plus oil and filter.
    Gates Timing Belt Kits with STEEL idler pulleys for Renault engines.-p1100748_red.jpg

By the way, the plastic pulleys I removed were not cracked this time, I could have kept driving it I suppose, but couldn't risk it, being an unknown quantity. So first replacement (2010) was at 60,000 kms/6 yrs (7 yrs from manufacture) and one of the plastic idlers was cracked. When car had done another 6 years and approx 52,000 kms, I parked it. I probably will never have to replace the belt and idlers again anyway.

Last edited by Fordman; 23rd February 2018 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Corrected odometer readings.
    bowie, jaahn, JohnW and 1 others like this.
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

Thread Information