R8 low Oil pressure light on at low revs
  • Help
Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By forzamacchi
  • 2 Post By Simon

Thread: R8 low Oil pressure light on at low revs

Default R8 low Oil pressure light on at low revs

Hello All,
    The low oil pressure light on on my R8 is appearing at low revs, after about 15 minutes of driving. It then disappears when I accelerate. At idle, I am showing 40 psi on my gauge. I am also running 10w-30 non synthetic which is filled to capacity. Los Angeles is quite a warm climate, is a thicker viscosity oil needed?

Advertisement

Cheers,
    Ben

10W30 is a cold climate oil (in an "old" car context), not recommended is the temperature is above 50-60F, so would be considered a bit thin for what is essentially a temperate climate like California. 20W50 is a better choice with an older engine and likely some wear.

Saying that though, some of the oil pressure switches can be troublesome, but if it is a flicker at idle when hot, it is perhaps just the hot thin oil, although 40psi at idle sounds a bit high. If the 20W50 oil doesn’t fix the issue, get another oil pressure gauge to check.

It should be minimum 10psi at idle when “hot” – approx. 175F, and 50psi at 4000 rpm.
    Last edited by Simon; 8th November 2016 at 09:11 AM.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

1000+ Posts

Hi
    You know in the good ol' days it was considered OK for the oil light to come on when idling hot so long as it went out when the revs were raised a bit. However that was using the old single grade oils or perhaps fancy new dual grade magic

But the answer is to check it with a good gauge and see what it is really doing. Simon has given you the pressures to look for, and "the good oil" on the oil grades. I probably would not go for the heavier stuff unless it is a bit worn. But the multigrade oil does give you the best way to manage it.
    good luck Jaahn

Hi there. The only time I have ever seen a flickering oil light was in 1974, after getting stuck in a flowing river for a few minutes. There was no oil pressure problem, it turned out. And then I fitted a gauge.

Since then, and about 200,000 km, I've always had around 60 psi at 3000 rpm and idling never lower than 25 psi when very hot, 40 psi idle when warming up.

My crankshaft is original and it has standard size bearings.

I used to use 20-30-40 oil, Castrol XL, and now the Penrite "full zinc" has changed from 20-50 to 20-60. 60 is too much I know, but the only difference on the gauge is slightly higher running oil pressure when cold. I change the oil once or twice a year regardless of mileage and a new filter every year.

I imagine you'll be fine.

Cheers

I'd get a gauge and consider changing out the warning light switch.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Hello Simon,
    I actually just checked after it was nice and warm, with the light coming on at idle and it was reading at 20psi. So that sounds like it is within the range of acceptability? What is the cutoff range for the light to pop on? Cheers, Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    10W30 is a cold climate oil (in an "old" car context), not recommended is the temperature is above 50-60F, so would be considered a bit thin for what is essentially a temperate climate like California. 20W50 is a better choice with an older engine and likely some wear.

Saying that though, some of the oil pressure switches can be troublesome, but if it is a flicker at idle when hot, it is perhaps just the hot thin oil, although 40psi at idle sounds a bit high. If the 20W50 oil doesnít fix the issue, get another oil pressure gauge to check.

It should be minimum 10psi at idle when ďhotĒ Ė approx. 175F, and 50psi at 4000 rpm.

COL

The oil pressure switch could be faulty as well, I think they were designed to switch on at 8 PSI.

Like said above hook up a known good oil pressure gauge and go for a drive and see what the pressures are.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Hey John! She is running good now. I don't want any complications! I am going to switch to 20w-50 and see what happens. It has been quite warm here as of late. The Best of France and Italy was yesterday...and once again the only R8! Ben

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Hi there. The only time I have ever seen a flickering oil light was in 1974, after getting stuck in a flowing river for a few minutes. There was no oil pressure problem, it turned out. And then I fitted a gauge.

Since then, and about 200,000 km, I've always had around 60 psi at 3000 rpm and idling never lower than 25 psi when very hot, 40 psi idle when warming up.

My crankshaft is original and it has standard size bearings.

I used to use 20-30-40 oil, Castrol XL, and now the Penrite "full zinc" has changed from 20-50 to 20-60. 60 is too much I know, but the only difference on the gauge is slightly higher running oil pressure when cold. I change the oil once or twice a year regardless of mileage and a new filter every year.

I imagine you'll be fine.

Cheers

I'd get a gauge and consider changing out the warning light switch.

Hello Col.... It was showing 20 psi at idle after 15 minutes on my last drive. 40 psi during warm up...could be a faulty switch... Ben

Quote Originally Posted by COL View Post
    The oil pressure switch could be faulty as well, I think they were designed to switch on at 8 PSI.

Like said above hook up a known good oil pressure gauge and go for a drive and see what the pressures are.

R8 low Oil pressure light on at low revs-screenshot_2016-11-07-08-50-49-1-1-.jpg

Autoweek took a pic for their online blog of my oily rag R8 at the Best of France and Italy show here in LA.
    dimistyle, Sunroof and JohnW like this.

Quote Originally Posted by forzamacchi View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2016-11-07-08-50-49-1 (1).jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	90855

The car looks good in that picture. A nice authentic appearance, worn in, but not worn out.
    jaahn and JohnW like this.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Thank You! They shot the good side lol. I will someday have the exterior redone....but donor quarter panels are hard to come by here. Most of the R8s that survived stateside are beat worse than mine.
    I just picked up some 20w- 50 VR1 Valvoline racing oil.. which
    touts a high zinc content for pushrod motors. Hopefully this will help with the oil pressure situation... I'm going to check the sensor as well. Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    The car looks good in that picture. A nice authentic appearance, worn in, but not worn out.

COL

Good choice of oil there Ben. I use Valvoline and never had a problem with it.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Looks good Ben, exactly as Simon said. Not many or our red R8s anywhere. I missed that event by just a few days once.

Your oil pressure does sound OK. After my little brush with apparent low pressure, I found a lot of comfort from the "worry meter"! And, as a consequence, I know it hasn't changed in many years.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Hello John... I changed the oil to 20w-50 over the weekend and didn't see the light come on once! Looks like the oil was thinning out a bit before. Today was the last 32C degree day for a while... Things will dip nicely into the 20s.... perfect cruising temps.... Ben

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Looks good Ben, exactly as Simon said. Not many or our red R8s anywhere. I missed that event by just a few days once.

Your oil pressure does sound OK. After my little brush with apparent low pressure, I found a lot of comfort from the "worry meter"! And, as a consequence, I know it hasn't changed in many years.

Sounds good. I've cruised mine into the low 40s without trouble. Cruised mind you, not thrashed. For my money, the R8 sweet spot is 3700 rpm approximately.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Thread Information