Renault Koleos Phase 2 2012/13 Privilege - advice on purchasing
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Breitie

Thread: Renault Koleos Phase 2 2012/13 Privilege - advice on purchasing

Tadpole

Default Renault Koleos Phase 2 2012/13 Privilege - advice on purchasing

After spending an obsessive amount of time deciding on what car I should buy after my 2007 Scenic Dynamique write off, and considering other brands, I've come back to the renault and thinking Koleos phase 2 2012 or 2013 privilege. It has some of the same quirky styling and features of the scenic but also modern things like proximity key and sat Nav, and I'm liking the leather and sun roof. Unlike the 2014/15 koleos, the phase 2 retains the clever interior thinking, I know they're minor things , but the tray tables, easy estate folding rear seats, door bins and forward folding front passenger seat all remind me of why I loved the scenic, aside from the superior safety and good ride, reliability etc. Now I know what exact car I want, I'm finding this car is a favourite for towing, In my search, although it's early days two have had an electric brake device fitted for towing, one was clearly used for pulling a horse float and the other I looked at had obviously enjoyed a fairly robust trip around possibly most of Australia, the interior was very well lived in. Now Ive arranged to drive 2.5 hours tomorrow to look at another car, I've got immediate responses to a few questions about this car but my question if it has an electric tow brake fitted has gone unanswered. So I'm guessing it does.

i understand why you would choose this car for towing, the braking power exceeds the x-trail and contributes to the five star ancap. But should I buy a second hand car that has been obviously put to work with towing? What problems might it have as a result and how would that affect the price.

Aside from that, given I'm certain of the model, year (2012/13), phase 2, privilege, preferably diesel (for the fuel economy and longevity - I'm planning on driving my purchase to its last legs, and the CVt of the petrol variant is less desirable for me) the only question left is should I go private sale or dealership.....

advice please.

Advertisement

I love this forum, just knowing I'm not the only one excited by a Scenic and now possibly a Koleos.

At least with a private sale, you get an idea of what they towed by either turning up and looking around or asking directly. A dealer will give a BS answer more than likely as they'll have no idea. A horse float or large caravan is probably on the extreme side, but if it was used for occasional towing then it shouldntn't cause too much drivetrain stress. Again, are they horse people for example, or car people with a car trailer. I agree, to go to the extent of installing electric brakes suggests a commitment to more serious towing duties.

I'm also toying with the idea of a s/h koleos for light towing duties to replace my Navara dual cab.
    KB

I don't disagree with 8/10 but also I reckon you need to see a few examples of the model you want so you develop a sense of relative wear and tear and different histories (as told to you!). A key question is "why are you selling?" or "why was this car traded in?". They will all be a wee bit different, I'd expect.

Then, when you've found what looks like a good one (none will be really bad I expect) it may be a private sale or a dealer!! We tried this approach 25 years ago with our long-owned R12 wagon. Failed completely, as the first one was so good. I looked at 2 or 3 others, and as I thought on first approach, the first one was splendid. Quite high mileage but body perfect and it drove well. We had it for at least 10 years with no trouble of any consequence. At something over 240,000 km the next owner had a catastrophic gearbox failure (synchro springs), but it was 20 years old by then and who knows how it was driven, except by us?

Good luck.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by dianaharris75 View Post
    After spending an obsessive amount of time deciding on what car I should buy after my 2007 Scenic Dynamique write off, and considering other brands, I've come back to the renault and thinking Koleos phase 2 2012 or 2013 privilege. It has some of the same quirky styling and features of the scenic but also modern things like proximity key and sat Nav, and I'm liking the leather and sun roof. Unlike the 2014/15 koleos, the phase 2 retains the clever interior thinking, I know they're minor things , but the tray tables, easy estate folding rear seats, door bins and forward folding front passenger seat all remind me of why I loved the scenic, aside from the superior safety and good ride, reliability etc. Now I know what exact car I want, I'm finding this car is a favourite for towing, In my search, although it's early days two have had an electric brake device fitted for towing, one was clearly used for pulling a horse float and the other I looked at had obviously enjoyed a fairly robust trip around possibly most of Australia, the interior was very well lived in. Now Ive arranged to drive 2.5 hours tomorrow to look at another car, I've got immediate responses to a few questions about this car but my question if it has an electric tow brake fitted has gone unanswered. So I'm guessing it does.

i understand why you would choose this car for towing, the braking power exceeds the x-trail and contributes to the five star ancap. But should I buy a second hand car that has been obviously put to work with towing? What problems might it have as a result and how would that affect the price.

Aside from that, given I'm certain of the model, year (2012/13), phase 2, privilege, preferably diesel (for the fuel economy and longevity - I'm planning on driving my purchase to its last legs, and the CVt of the petrol variant is less desirable for me) the only question left is should I go private sale or dealership.....

advice please.

I love this forum, just knowing I'm not the only one excited by a Scenic and now possibly a Koleos.

Hi I agree that purchasing a car that has substantial towing work and perhaps high Ks, is a risk that should not be taken. With the Koleos there are many options and in the later years Renault has removed the little things that have been mentioned. Very difficult to find a Privilege with all the goodies and there are a few Bose variants that may suit. I have a few Koleos vehicle in various forms and must sell one or two soon. All have very low Ks.
    One issue I have found with all the Koleos is that a vibration or whining sound occurs at about 80 K/Hr. It goes away at higher speeds. I must contact Renault to see if this is a common problem. Maybe other owners have experienced similar issues. Would like response from other owners.

Quote Originally Posted by ozlacs View Post
    One issue I have found with all the Koleos is that a vibration or whining sound occurs at about 80 K/Hr. It goes away at higher speeds.
    Never heard it. 2008 diesel Koleos slushbox. 8 years old no problems.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Tadpole

Thanks for the replies and advice. An update on my search for a 2012/13 koleos privilege - yesterday I looked at two examples, neither has been used for towing, one was at a dealer and the other private. The private sale was in better condition, lower ks and $5000 cheaper. There were no faults I could identify with the private sale, it drove well, passed all my novice checks, had two keys, very good condition etc. The dealer car had a bit more wear inside and out, both side mirrors had electrical fault, vibrating and stuck in the down position and the drivers door sensor for proximity key didn't work. Both fixable issues and by no means a deal breaker. The car also had a rear panel replaced, the paint work on it was different. Never the less, both cars were considerable options at the right price. Disappointingly, both these cars service history was out. The dealer car had no service history at all. The private sale had missed it's first service by 5000ks, and the second service by 6,500ks. The 30000k service, according to the log book has not even been done yet and the car is at 36,900ks or ther about. The seller told me they'd had the 30k service done for free by the renault dealer and doesn't know why it's not in the book. So the remaining 2 year warranty on both these cars is likely to be void. Further, my understanding of modern cars is that you shouldn't drive them too much over the service intervals if you want to avoid mechanical problems.

Im surprised that owners of both these cars have been so lax in servicing to schedule, aside from the mechanical issues, theyre risking the warranty. Why so?

When i I bought my Scenic, it was still under warranty so I made sure I serviced to log book with authorised mechanic. When the warranty ran out, I still serviced it accordingly, but through my own local guy. Am I being pedantic here?

what is the advice from my fellow frogs, how important is the service history?.

Tadpole

I test drove a 2013 koleos recently that did that exact thing, got to 80K/hr and did some sort of growl, no vibrations though, got to 100Ks, then down again, then up again to 100 and couldn't replicate it. Definitely noticeable though.

Hi there. That's interesting.....

Our first Scenic had no service book, sold by a dealer (super-ethical, so here's a plug for Rod Slater's Eurocars!). Rod phoned around, Renault dealerships having moved around a bit, and rebuilt a service record. Rod identified a changed instrument cluster and explained to us that he had no way of confirming whether the indicated mileage was that from new or that from "new speedo". Very honest - I might not have thought of that.

We bought it.... It's fine.

Our second Scenic has a full service history, but when I went and spoke to the dealer who sold and serviced it:

1. He declined politely to give me the service record, claiming (nonsense) confidentiality. Complete nonsense, actually. I own the car!!

2. He did confirm recalls were attended to and, on my request, that there had been no cambelt changes in 8 years!!! He could not, or would not, explain why 8 years of regular dealer service did not comply with their own 4-year recommendations. I'm not impressed. The car is great though.

Where does that lead my advice? I'd go to the dealer and sort out the warranty matter, in writing, for the better of them (the private sale). Then decide what to do. The fact you've already seen two is encouraging. If you decide to walk away, there are others.

It's usually a compromise business, 2nd-hand car chasing.

Now for the other opinions!

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Fellow Frogger!

A sample of 2 is nothing to base your purchasing on.
    There are enough of them around that basing your decision on these two examples is bad.

They are a really sound vehicle.
    Basically, very little goes wrong with them, internally.

The majority of them will be CVT "geared".
    They all are suspect.
    The life of the gearbox is a dice game, some crap out early, some are noisy for life.
    My advice to prospective purchasers has always been, "change gearbox fluid early and often".
    Mine is a manual diesel, there are also, as already mentioned, "proper autos".

Search for others that have had little experience with towing.
    However, having said that, I regularly tow with mine, not a caravan mind you.
    Don't be put off by a tow bar.
    They are orphans in the industry, so are GREAT buys second hand.
    Get an RACV or other motoring organisation inspection, and proceed from there.

With the new bodyshape here, prices will fall.
    BARGAIN and buy.
    Absolute French individuality, Japanese design, Korean assembly ( better than French?).

No major issues with this car.
    My opinion is that even having a sketchy service history, they are great buys.
    No use spending bucketloads of cash with dealers to get an industry recognised poor second hand resale value.

Buy on presentation, and inspection.

In our business of selling second hand Renault parts we can vouch for Koleos reliability. The only things that seem to sell are body panels to panels shops, mechanicals are very slow to moove.

Pick of the bunch would be diesel manual but don't be put off by high kms, diesels are made to work and small trips are the worst thing you can do with them.

My daughter who works in the horse industry has people who tow floats with them without any problems, one person got out of a Territory and raves about how much better the Renault is.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

frenchconnect@bigpond.com

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Fellow Frogger!

The private sale sounds like the goods. "It has two keys!" That struck a chord with me as a second key is worth $500! That already indicates that the owner took a bit of care as many are lost, especially the 'proximity keys' that end up in someone's forgotten pocket.
    It appears to me that you have answered your own question in your very detailed description of both vehicles.
    I would suggest you insist on an independent professional inspection by someone like the RACV - will cost a few bucks but well worth it.
    The overrun on the two services is no big deal. It won't affect the 5 year warranty. Have a thorough service done as soon as you can for your own peace of mind and make sure the service handbook is brought up to date accordingly. The missing service entry for the claimed 30K service is not so unusual as these minor details are often forgotten even by 'experts'. My own Koleos for instance, has never been sold according to the handbook, as there is no notation to that effect what so ever. And it was sold by a Renault dealer no less. So there!
    As for the CV Transmission: don't be unduly alarmed by post #9 above, as those transmissions are widely used by many reputable vehicle makers and rarely fail. Coincidentally, we had a bit of a discussion about that topic just a few days ago here on this very forum. Have a look for the post on "CV Transmissions". Good luck, and we hope to add you to our list of happy Koleos owners soon.

Tadpole

Well, as it turns out, I contacted the renault dealer who was the previous, previous owner of the private sale and I spoke to the actual mechanic who had undertaken all the services on this car.,There is a discrepancy where some log books say 10000k but services at 15000ks are acceptable by renault and the warranty is honoured. So I've been pedantic, wrongly assumed 10000k service was needed and thus missed out on buying a car that actually had a great service history and was in great condition. I can't tell you how much this disappoints me. Anyhow, the dealer I walked from has contacted me, looking to make an offer so that's something to work with. Whoever bought that car from the private sale has got an awesome buy.

Fellow Frogger!

Diana, I implore you, walk away from that 'dealer's car' and keep walking. From what you say it has been badly looked after and thrashed. The two cars you have had your eye on are not the only ones out there. There will always be good buys. I suggest you go to the Renault Australia website and look through the list of "Approved Used' vehicles, where you will find several Koleoses (Koleoli?) that are backed by Renault, with two free services thrown in. That should be the place to re-start your search.

Addendum: I just had a look through the 'Approved Used' list and found 119 perfectly good used late model Koleoses, of all descriptions and colours, all with low km readings. Most of these will be ex HIRE vehicles from Tasmania and Victoria, as well as other 'corporate' vehicles that were on lease from Renault. The hire cars are generally in good condition as they are not 'cheapies' and always looked after by the hire companies. How do I know this? I bought one ex-Budget Hire from Tasmania and it is near perfect. (except for the very expensive missing key that is probably in China somewhere by now, but was immediately replaced, free of charge, by the wonderfully helpful people at Renault.)
    Last edited by Breitie; 21st October 2016 at 07:38 AM.
    DanielBendigo likes this.

Tadpole

I'm finally back on the road again in my own car and sadly this will be my last post on this forum, I'm no longer an Aussie frog because my new car is a Kia. For those still reading this post, Im guessing you'll be disappointed that I've chosen this path. For anyone that is interested I'll explain why I made this radical move away from renault. I was looking for a mid size SUV which is a very competitive market. The koleos from 2014 on was compromised by interior room (I'm six foot three, my kids are growing and will have the same long legs as me before I know it). Koleos models 2012/13 had better room but only just. I wanted a car with all the bells and whistles, koleos 14/15 had those but lacked interior room and also those models had done away with the clever interior that was so attractive in the earlier models. I found the koleos 2014/15 interior and features to be fairly run of the mill in this market, it was no longer the special clever car. I did infact waitfor the koleos 2016, I have test driven it and sure this car has more room and all the bells and whistles too but it is equally comparible to the competition. and I didn't want to pay for a brand new car. So, I was looking for a 2 year old or thereabouts mid size suv with plenty of room , top specs. I never imagined I'd be a Kia owner, having so loved my scenic. Its a Kia sportage, 2014 diesel,mplenty of room All round and same specs as Koleos, minus the electronic park brake. So far, the drive is excellent and sporty, Diesel engine is very quite. So I say goodbye to all that comes with being an australian driving a European car and hello to admitting I purchased a Kia and happy for it. Thanks all for comments and advice.

Fellow Frogger!

Awww shucks, Diana, we are sad to see you go. However, the KIA and Hyundai are certainly up there with the best and offer even better warranty conditions than Renault. I myself was sorely tempted to switch but was held back by my (misplaced?) brand loyalty first engendered by the remarkable Scenic Phase I. But instead of purchasing the new bigger Koleos I bought another of the previous iteration because it suits my lifestyle. And (!) a good measure of vanity and exclusivity because I do not want to drive the same car all my neighbours drive.

I am surprised that you find a difference in leg room between year models. I am a lot taller than you and do not experience this. Where I do agree with you though is the elimination in the Phase III Koleos of several of the lovely useful features such as the cooled glove box, the drawer under the seat, the tray tables, the window shades and the proper spare wheel and perhaps others. Probably a savings measure but a misguided one. I only discovered this after I had signed the deal (stupid inattentive me!) and might have been nudged in the direction of the KIA Sportage - like you. Good luck and travel safe in your fine new vehicle.

Yes, "good luck and safe travels". I lament that Renault has stopped the Scenic in Oz, as I don't know what I'd replace ours with either.

Best wishes.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Thread Information