On the way TO the mini 4CV Muster in Bathurst, my speedo stopped working (general callout if anyone has an R8 or R10 std speedo I could cannibalise for parts?); on the way FROM the wipers stopped working too. The trip home in rain all the way wasn't pleasant, although the wipers did start working again of sorts. Enough to risk the odd swipe when truly needed.
I sat the car back in the Garage for a week or so, then decided it was time to bite the bullet and look into it. I decided my best course of action was to discretely modernise. This car is a former concourse winner and is std in all respects so has the old single speed wiper and switch. There's not much a can do about the speedo and remain standard looking, so I will remove that and either tinker myself or take it to a gauge repairer when the suitable parts are obtained. The wipers are a different story.
Through the magic of eBay I have started to collate some parts - universal two speed wiper motor; speed switch integrating washers; a small universal washer motor and a small little hazard warning light switch to add hazard lights - if you're going to break down in this modern era, you may as well do it safely.
First step when the washer motor arrived yesterday was to imagineer a small bracket to enable it to mount behind the standard washer bottle; then remove the old "pump" switch and tubing and re-use the tubing for the motor. The switch arrived today, so I finished the bracket and lo and behold the switch fits straight in like a bought one. Next step will be the motor, then wire it up and test. The hazard lights look pretty easy too and utilise the flasher can and wiring, but it hasn't arrived yet.
Updates to follow as it all gets installed and tested.