Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By JohnW
  • 1 Post By Haakon
  • 1 Post By Simon
  • 2 Post By Simon

Thread: Renault 21

Fellow Frogger!

Icon7 Renault 21

Hi Guys,my first post on this forum.Amate of mine is trying to ofload his Reno.Its been resting for about 10 years.What should I be looking out for (Apart from the obvious)What should I be paying.Am I wasting my time thinking about it and stick to Cits.
    Woody

Advertisement

Goodness, a 21 is it? They were sold by Borgelts on Magill Road. I have the big metal sign from their outside wall in my garage.

I've no direct experience. They might be quite nice cars but I don't remember the last time I saw one. It might be in the decades. Suffice it to say that a Citroen CX is a common car by comparison. It might be that Simon will chime in, and he'd have a much better idea whether there are any at all running in SA.

I think you'd want to be quite in love with that specific model, then you could chase around and find whatever network there might be. And of course, this is the best place to start.

Cheers
    J-man likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

I've had two, only retired the last one a couple of years ago. Its still on the farm in Victoria - wouldn't need much work to be a daily again but I didn't have the time/energy.

They are only really interesting because they're so rare here, otherwise think of it as a French Camry. Decent and worthy machine, not terribly exciting.

But a nice thing to drive and pretty nippy.
    JohnW likes this.

A Renault 21, when new, even after they reduced the price by $10K the dealers still found them hard to shift. Value now? Is there anyone out there daring to bid a warm slab of West End Export in exchange?

I’d likely be more concerned with why it was parked ten years ago. The motor is usually bulletproof, followed closely by the manual gearbox. The auto trans is the usual Renault gamble. The rest of the car is subject to the usual late 1980’s early 1990’s French car foibles and acts of “character” – perhaps there is more character in its foibles than in the car itself, the Renault 21 is vin ordinaire.

Resurrecting the car in addition to the costs of towing, and rectifying why it has been in stasis for ten years will involve replacing the timing belt at least, then there are the brakes, A/C, and all the other things that deteriorate over time as with any “barn find”. I'm thinking stick with Citroens, at least they have an upside.
    JohnW likes this.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Fellow Frogger!

Here's another, and notwithstanding it's currently registered, probably priced at more that I would be prepared to pay.

Particularly so, being an auto and a less than detailed description, with polaroid quality pictures.

Renault 1988 | Cars, Vans & Utes | Gumtree Australia Charles Sturt Area - Allenby Gardens | 1121300270

From the darker days of Renault Australia history. A fairly flaccid 1988 sales campaign in an effort to shift effectively dead stock. It was commented that few Renault owners would be affected by the devaluation given that only three cars had been sold (in SA) in the first three months of 1988.......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Renault 21-dsc06230.jpg  
    jaahn and vivid like this.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Thread Information