electrical drain - sedated 405
  • Help

electrical drain - sedated 405

What's going on here...

With everything electrical in the vehicle turned off, I getting a current drain of 300mA which seems a little too much.
    The car doesn't have an alarm system or any other standby devices, however there are two relays in the same compartment as the computer that energize when the battery is connected. Each take 150mA or so.
    I disconnected these to find out what wasn't working & it appears they are for the headlights.
    Can anyone tell me why these relays would be current draining when not in use?
    It takes 2 days to flatten the battery at this rate.
    Car is a '93 405STI.

Advertisement

gibgib,

Have spoken to electronically inclined son (as he passed thru) & he suggests making up 4 test wires; male spade one end; female spade the other with the wire say a few inches long. This way the problem area can be isolated.
    The terminals on the relay are: #85 & #86 go to the coil. #30 is common #87 is N.O. (normally open) #87a is NC (normally closed) for some reason, Citroen & presumably Peugeot don't use 87a.
    If you connect your 2 test leads to 85 & 86 this will tell you if the contacts which energise the coil are shorting/corroded.
    30 to 87 will tell you if in fact you are getting a power feed through the actual coil itself.
    If either two don't show a short, then connect in pairs keeping an eye on your meter & see what happens.
    If all else fails, go see your local friendly Dick Smith stockist & grab a couple of new relays which are a commonly carried line.

Hope this is of some help.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Thanks for that bit of wisdom Mr S. These 2 relays karked it about October last year due to corrosion & so were replaced. From the outside the ones in there now look healthy.
    I will take another geezer at them on Wednesday but do think it's something else as there is v+ to both relays coils so something else is putting it there
    The drain is just the coils themselves as nothing I can see comes on...

gibgib

Thread Information