Speedo Cable/205 GTi
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Speedo Cable/205 GTi

Hi All,

Well, the speedo cable is just about had it in my car. It was starting to flick when I bought it and is slowly getting worse. I tried to look for a way to remove it to lube it up, but cant seem to get it out of the top position inside the instrument binnicle...

Am I just daft or is there a trick to it?

Failing that, where abouts on the g/box does the cable enter, and if I take that end out, will oil go everywhere?

Thanks in advance

Chipper

Advertisement

Don't they all do that?

Mine did it big time especially at low speeds. Once up at normal speeds (120K's) it evened out nice.
    I recommend you travel at speeds in excess of 120k's to fix your problem
    Also interesting that even when stationary the speedo indicated 10K's so in theory, you could park it somewhere, & an hour later it would be 10 kilometres away.
    This has never happen to me though.

He's being silly now isn't he??
    One of the problems with these speedos is that the cable doesn't sit square, hence the flicking/clicking. They are a $#!t of a thing to get right & apart from patience (not an attribute I have a reputation for) I have been told that the end of a silicone tube cut off can help to give some stability to the situation. I personally think that buying a new speedo cable does more to help the local dealer live in the manner to which he has grown accustomed than to solve the speedo problem.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Fellow Frogger!
    OK, two belly laughs in the one morning has people looking at me funny like

120 klmh huh?.....**mental note, send speeding fines care of GibGib @ aussiefrogs**

Maybe I will just have to have a poke around and find out for myself, thats if my car isnt 80 klm away when I get out of work 8 hours from now.....

Chipper

hehehehe, you guys are good. . . neway, the speedo cable goes into the top of the box. held in by rubber plug. if ya pull it out. no worries. it goes into the back of the speedo. good luck getting that end out :-|

Mine flicks a little below 40, but then is ok. so drive above 40. 120 could be a problem in 40 zones. Another car of mine used to flick like crazy when it was cold. when it warmed up ok. erm. if you get the cable out, you can pull the center out (ie the box section) and grease it up with a very fine grease (something like vaso even). or a sillicon lube. neway, make sure you put it back in the right way, or else it'll unwind itself and then you'll be in the poo. . . .

byron

Tadpole
    They all do it, BX's, 205's, Mi16's!
    Have had sucess with changing the nylon gear on the gear box on a BXGTi. I'll be replacing the gear on my 205, in the next couple of weeks, keep you posted.

Fellow Frogger!
    Cheers all,

It looks like a common fault hey?

I will pull it out this weekend and hang it up from the g/box end and "dribble" some penetrating fluid down its belly as its starting to get worse . I can see by this thread that a replacement jobby might be a pain in the butt (worse than a Renault 12)

Thanks for your reply's doods.

Chipper

Chipper,
    I would be REAL careful dripping penetrating oil in this situation. I've seen some pretty big mounds made out of some very small molehills doing things like that. Maybe a small drop of silicone lube as oil inside the speedo head can create some very expensive side effects.
    The tip I mentioned above was given to me by a guy from Newcastle with a BX who had nearly gone beserk with a similar problem; cut the end off the nozzle attached to a silicone/no more gaps tube so that it slips over the cable. This then acts as a reinforcement to where the cable enters the speedo & prevents both clicking & jumping. Best part is that if it didn't work, you don't have to spend a million bucks geting your speedo fixed, & if it does, it's hidden so no one knows you've done a bodge job

Alan S

Chipper,
    I would be REAL careful dripping penetrating oil in this situation. I've seen some pretty big mounds made out of some very small molehills doing things like that. Maybe a small drop of silicone lube as oil inside the speedo head can create some very expensive side effects.
    The tip I mentioned above was given to me by a guy from Newcastle with a BX who had nearly gone beserk with a similar problem; cut the end off the nozzle attached to a silicone/no more gaps tube so that it slips over the cable. This then acts as a reinforcement to where the cable enters the speedo & prevents both clicking & jumping. Best part is that if it didn't work, you don't have to spend a million bucks geting your speedo fixed, & if it does, it's hidden so no one knows you've done a bodge job

Alan S

Fellow Frogger!
    Hi Alan,

Oh, ok, thanks for the warning

This bit : "cut the end off the nozzle attached to a silicone/no more gaps tube so that it slips over the cable".

Which way does it slip over the end? Large opening end toward the dash or toward the speedo? Does the hole need to be just slightly bigger than the cable itself for the small end of the nozzle? Im just having difficulty visualising this method (nothing new there tho)......

Cheers again for the warning

Chipper

Chipper,

My visualising of it would be that you would cut the tapered end down just far enough for the cable to slot through. The collar, which normally butts up against the tube would then sit against the back of the speedo & act as a reinforcement; as I said to me it sounds practical & I have done similar things in the past. The guy who made the suggestion is 1000klms away from me so I am a bit like you; a cross between mental telepathy & fruitful imagination

Alan S

Fellow Frogger!
    Cheers Alan,

At least I can now visualise which way the collar sits now, thanks for that. I have a few of these things lying about the place, so this weekend looks like its filling up with Pug fixing type activities

Thanks for your advise (spesh the oil in the cable bit)....

Chipper

Thread Information