Mi16/GTi6 mid-engined sports coupe
  • Help

Mi16/GTi6 mid-engined sports coupe

Hi everyone,

In case you're not aware already in the early 1990s a Fench magazine called "Echappement" (French for exhaust) conducted a survey of readers asking what they would want a modern interpretation of the Alpine Renault A110 to be. The result of this was the Hommell Berlinette Echappement, built by a guy called Michel Hommell (who happens to be a mega Alpine enthusiast -aren't we all?).

The Hommell Berlinette is a mid engined space framed sports coupe which uses a tranverse mounted Pug engine and gearbox. The rear suspension is based upon the 405 front suspension. When production began they used a 405Mi16 engine and a Citroen motorsport six speed gearbox. After the 306GTi6 was released, they started using the GTi6 engine and gearbox. This car weighs less than 1000kg and is a pretty fantastic performer.

In November 1995, Cars and Car Conversions published an article on these cars, which I'm going to send to gibgib to put in the downloads section.

Do a search in Yahoo for "Hommell Berlinette" and you'll find a few websites with references to these cars.

Regards,
    Dave McBean

Advertisement
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Thanks Dave,
    I have a copy of Echappement with the Hommell in it and I've never been able to work out what it is, its all in French so I had no idea, all I've doing is studying the pictures but now I know, thanks Dave.

David.

David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

frenchconnect@bigpond.com

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Sorry, I got something wrong. The six speed gearboxes, for the Hommell Berlinette, were always made in a Peugeot workshop/factory. It is the spaceframes which were made in a Citroen workshop. I just noticed this mistake when I checked out the copy of the magazine article which gibgib has now put in the downloads section.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

The Alpine/ Hommell article is in the downloads section now.
    I was interupted (by work) otherwise all of what you sent Dave would be there by now Hopefully finish tonight

gibgib,

Thanks for putting it up so quickly. I know I sent you quite a bit of stuff, so I'll understand if some of it isn't on the site for a while. I've got plenty more stuff.
    Thanks again.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C

It actually doesn't take too long to do once I have it happening.
    Some of the images are of large file size so if you country folk have a slow connection, you might want to grab a coffee while it comes in

Thread Information