Maintainence Issues
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Maintainence Issues

Hi All,

This weekend, I am doing a bit of maintainence on the Pug, and although fairly basic stuff, I would like to know if any pitfalls exist that I am unaware of on the Pug systems.

First up, a radiator flush and new inhibitor.With a VL Commondore, the tanks are lower than the head, and a airlock can be a result if you are not careful or dont park it on a hill to do the change.

Is it a straight forward drop the water, flush, and refill squeezing hoses to make sure they are full, running engine till hot, recheck, or is there anything else I should know first?

Brake fluid flush. Same sort of questions, should I do the furtherest wheel first and work my way to the closest wheel to the master cylinder (series 1 205 GTi, no dual system)? Dot 4 brake fluid has been suggested as a good fluid...comments?

Advertisement

Fuel filter: it looks original and may be full of crud (190,000 klms), but I dont know (may be causing some of the minor hesitation when getting into the higher revs). I see it has a threaded fitting on the top. Does this simply unbolt? Any proceedure I should adopt for doing this, and would an aftermarket (Bosch) EFI filter that I have lying around be able to replace it if the orig one is buggered? Any tips on cleaning these (interum measure before replacement)?

Any and all help appreciated.

Cheers

Chipper

Is it a straight forward drop the water, flush, and refill squeezing hoses to make sure they are full, running engine till hot, recheck, or is there anything else I should know first?

Peug205GTI says: First, what car are you doing this to? If its a 205, they have bleeder screws in the heater hose between the water pump and firewall, and on the thermostat housing on the passenger side of the engine, near the distributor. Fill the car with water and coolant, leaving the cap off. start the engine. the water level should drop. fill it back up. turn the heater in the car to hot. then undo the bleeder screw on the heater hose. let it keep it open until it streams, with no bubbles. careful, the water may be (shouldn't be) hot. then replace the bleeder screw, and top up the bottle. do the same with the bleeder near the thermostat. you may not have one here though. top up bottle again. done!

Brake fluid flush. Same sort of questions, should I do the furtherest wheel first and work my way to the closest wheel to the master cylinder (series 1 205 GTi, no dual system)? Dot 4 brake fluid has been suggested as a good fluid...comments?

Peug205GTI says: good idea. I usually do the rears first, then the fronts. always making sure the master reservior (or however you spell it) is always full of brake fluid.

Fuel filter: it looks original and may be full of crud (190,000 klms), but I dont know (may be causing some of the minor hesitation when getting into the higher revs). I see it has a threaded fitting on the top. Does this simply unbolt? Any proceedure I should adopt for doing this, and would an aftermarket (Bosch) EFI filter that I have lying around be able to replace it if the orig one is buggered? Any tips on cleaning these (interum measure before replacement)?

Peug205GTI says: I only use genuine. replace every 80,000. mine has banjo bolt on top. just undo bolt, banjo comes off. replace copper washers.

Peug205GTI says: if u dont have 205 sorry. if ya do, hope it helps.

Byron
    [/B][/QUOTE]

Fellow Frogger!
    Cheers Dude,

Yeah, 205 GTi (shoulda specified that to start with).I thought it would be pretty straight forward, just needed to check tho.

Ta

Chipper

Thread Information