Brakes go "clunk".....
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Brakes go "clunk".....

G'day all,

The Pug has a small problem when reversing after the car is cold, and when I apply the brakes, a shudder eminates from the left front wheel.It only does it the once, and it seems to go away. It disappeared a week ago after my spirited drive through the countryside whan I gave the brakes a pretty good workout, but has now come back...

Anyone know where I should look (dont say the brakes ) for the problem and what causes it?

Any help appreciated.

Chipper

Advertisement

Chipper,
    I can't speak for Pugs, but on BX's there is an age old problem which sounds identical to yours. The ball joints on the drop links of the sway bar are one cause. Over in the UK they reckon you remove, clean up, tap around the edges & refit or alternatively replace but according to some of them, the repair will last longer than the replacement; don't ask me why.
    The other is caused by the disc pads slightly moving in their retaining space. In some models it seems worse than others but one common factor seems to be that the non genuine pads seem to suffer from it more than genuine although given time, the genuines will do it anyway. The problem often arises after new pads have been fitted.

If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Tadpole
    Unfortunately it is your brakes going clunk. I've changed my drop links (you can buy OEM links from Autofive in the UK at half the price from local dealers) and my car still clunks. I've checked the front end, and are yet to find a problem. On our BX19GTi the clunk disappeared after new pads, and the auto adjust handbrake was wound back. But new pads have had no impact on my 205 clunks.
    Leon

Fellow Frogger!
    Thanks guys,

The thing that bugs me the most is its only the left front that does it !!

I will have to have a closer look and see what I can find.

Thanks for the info

Chipper

Peug205GTI says: What i have found is that after a good hard drive, my pads get 'cooked'. they aren't hi-po pads at the moe, just standard bendix. it tends to go away, when the 'cooked' section of the pad wears off.

Also, if i reverse, then brake, my brake's clunk. its caused by the pads moving in the calipers. nothing to worry about. can be fixed with a bit of . . . um. . . erh, there is this type of grease, you put on the BACK of the pad, and it stops them from clunking. but cant remember name. and dont put it on the face of the pad, or your in for a fun ride

I saw something on a board recently where I read it to mean that they had used "copper grease" on the back plates of their disc pads to stop the clonking.
    Anybody else heard this or can confirm it? And where do you get this copper grease & who makes it??

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

thats it. copper grease or lithium grease. any GOOD CAR PARTS place. erm, antiseize is the same stuff basically. something with lots of metal in it.

Hi, I've come across this problem too on late 504 wagons. It seems to be due to the actual shape of the ends of the diagonal arms . The forging on later cars can have a tapered end, which isnt there on the earlier type. And this end can move forward and hit the front crossmember . Best to prune it off with the angle grinder! Probably not the sophisticated method, which probably involves replacing the whole asembly at more than the car's worth.... I dont know....Seems that it only happens on cars with a certain sort of calipers too. Cant remember the name ( bendix,, ATE etc) but they have a prominent curved stainless springy rod thing on thi inner side of the caliper. So size does count. Just shorten it. Jon Hardy
    Currently own '69 404, '72 504 (V6), '72 504 cpe 4cyl (unrest), '74? 504 ti x2, '76 504 auto, '76 504 ti on gas, '80 604SL '81 505(ti) ba10/5 '83 505 (ti) ba7/5 fam,
    '84 505 Sti ba7/5, '86 505 Sli ba7/4 fam (project), 405GRI auto. Too many....

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jonhardy:
    Hi, I've come across this problem too on late 504 wagons. ....which probably involves replacing the whole asembly at more than the car's worth....
    Boy, the parts must be enormously dear!

I don't worry about clunks, rattles and other strange noises. Can't afford too, I drive a 505!
    "Indecision is the key to flexibility" Anon.

Humour....... Pauls post is definately humour, where's Precious come on do your job.
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Thread Information