306 engine troubles, incl pinging
  • Help

306 engine troubles, incl pinging

I'm looking for some info regarding ongoing trouble with my 1998 automatic 306 sedan. I've read with interest the earlier discussion regarding engine pinging, as this is the major problem I've had - the car has been back to the dealer a couple of times under warranty, but they cannot locate any problems when running the usual engine diagnostic tests, and initially tried telling me it's dodgy fuel. The problem I have with that explanation is that I have bought petrol from different stations and different companies, including the Shell Optimax, to no avail, and the problem seems to be worsening.

Advertisement

On the bright side, the dealer has been pretty good, to the extent of asking Peugeot in France for ideas, and they have come back with the solution of replacing the head gasket in order to change the compression ratio (this fix was actually also suggested to me by a helpful RACQ technician). I have the car booked in to have this done, and was wondering if anyone else has heard of this fix, and what the outcome of it is? I'm prepared to give it a go, and just hope that it doesn't result in decreased performance or further problems down the track... I'm also wondering if there would be any connection between the pinging and the rough idling of the vehicle - I have noticed when sitting at lights, etc, esp in neutral, that the engine doesn't idle smoothly. All suggestions gratefully received!

Fellow Frogger!
    Hello
    The pinging u mention does it occur when u take off from standstill or when u r driving
    at speed becuse i know from experience that
    a lot of european cars ping when taking off
    from the traffic lights i asume that is because a lot the cars r adjusted for australian petrol and eventually cabon builds
    up especially under stop start traffic and
    the engine pings because of the little increase in compresion how many k's has your
    engine done what type of engine is it multivave or 8 valve my freinds sisters 95
    bmw does it while taking off but the engine
    can tolerate a lot of this low load pinging
    but will dramatically reduce the life of the engine if it is occuring under load have u noticed that they dont play around with the newer euro cars these days they just recomend premium u shoudn't have to use any petrol but the one your cars ment to use
    running optimax 98 ron will reduce your performance and also cost u a packet in fuel bills it was designed for high performance cars.

Penelope,
    The problem you have I am sure would have to be related to sensors in the EFI system somewhere. The changing of the head gasket to a thicker one is hiding your problem not fixing it. This is technology that was used back in the days of the FJ Holden & your Pug. sure as hell is no FJ !! Back then, you would get people who would shave too much off a head & have all sorts of problems as a result, hence they would fit 2 head gaskets to lower the compression ratio. Increasing the octane rating is also '60's thinking. Let's face it; your car is stock standard so why is it that YOUR car is pinging & all the others aren't?? Had it started gradually & the car had 300K klms on the clock, yes it could ping once it got hot. Lower the compression ratio and it will have a marginal impact on the power of the engine; maybe noticeable, maybe not, but no guarantee that after all this it will not still ping.
    If you have checked the other postings on pinging you will see that the problem there was that a non genuine air filter had been fitted which obviously upset the cars brain. My bet is that you have a loose sensor or connection which is giving your cars brain false information. I will have a talk to one of my sons who is involved in EFI on race cars & post a response from hin if I can nail him down on it.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Penelope,

Had a talk to my son & he is of the opinion that going on what you have described as symptoms, the problem would appear to be in the MAP sensor. Now the service guys are probably going to argue that they have run a diagnostic test & it came up OK, but if the problem is what he suspects, it is a "mechanical" problem inside the sensor (possibly a ruptured or leaking membrane) as opposed to an electronic, hence it would not show up on the diagnostic test.
    It can be tested two ways; firstly by simply replacing for test purposes with a known good unit or secondly by placing a multi meter across the terminals, the centre one & any one of the outside terminals & creating a vacuum, whereupon the reading should change. Across the two outside terminals the reading will remain constant. His guess at cost if it has to be replaced at around $100
    He was pretty confident this was your problem; as confident as I was that the diagnosis you have been given by the dealer wasn't.

Hope this is some help.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Thanks for the various replies. The pinging doesn't occur on takeoff, but usually at the top of 2nd gear into the bottom of 3rd gear, and again at the top of 3rd into the bottom of 4th gear - so basically around the gear change points. It's also not just doing it under load - I've heard the noise going down hill!

The service manager has agreed to look at a couple of other sensors we thought may have been causing the problem, but it's also good to hear about the problem you mentioned Alan, because that's one we hadn't considered. The car's booked in for Monday, so we'll see how we go then!

Thanks again

Penelope

Thread Information