205 GTI Pinging and lagging
  • Help

205 GTI Pinging and lagging

Hey all, new to board. I have a few questions for all and sundry.

My car is running on optimax. first engine, cracked piston. has anyone else heard about this? I heard a few lancers suffered the same fate. sigh.

Advertisement

New motor now. european import. 9.6:1 comp ratio. timing is @ 7degrees. On optimax, it pings in the top end above 5500. really annoying when doing 3rd gear overtake. I run nulon octane booster to stop it. sometimes, when sitting at lights and car has a chance to heat soak, it pings when i drive off. neyarrgh. i hate australian crap fuel. i want 100 ron fuel. anyone with suggestions?

also, another question. sometimes when crusing @ 80 or 100, the car seems to hesitate, the pickup. its really weird. does anyone know if the 205 GTI 87 motronic ECU have a safe mode? the stop light doesn't come on. but its really annoying. sometimes when accellerating the car holds back, then lurches foward. bloody annoying. if anyone can help, would be appreciated. have replaced throttle body, injectors, pressure regulator, spark plugs, leads. next thing, coil, spark firer, o2 sensor, ($1000, thanks peugeot) aFM ($1050, thanks bosch). . sigh.

byron

jr
    from a fellow 205 owner[2] correct me if i'm wrong but i thought pre 1992 models had jetronic and after that motronic, it was the same in uk i'm sure!! where did the donk come from? did it come with the loom and ecu etc.? just a thought...they may not be compatible.

------------------

i have the same prob with the mi16. sometimes gets to around 4000rpm and hesitates for a couple of seconds and then goes back to normal. 2 different mechanics have ran diagnostic checks on it and both times nothing has come up, they say theres nothing wrong. i think it could be optimax doing it.i've heard stories that shell cant keep the octane levels at a constant, i dont know how true this is, but latley ive been going to mobil and this hasnt occured
    - '03 Xsara VTS -

Thread Information