Buying a 405 in NZ
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Buying a 405 in NZ

Hi, I have shit all idea about the 405 market so I'm just inquiring, how much would (from any year) the 450 Mi16's and STI's go for here in NZ, I know the Mi16 supposedly gets 180HP or so but I don't know anything about the STI, could someone inform me?
    Ta

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!
    The 180hp is an eroneous claim. These cars put out 150hp at the flywheel so the front wheel drive car will have anything between 95 and 110 at the wheels. The 4 wheel drive will have similar but 7 to 10 hp less.
    The big difference between the mi16 and other 405 models is of course the 16 valve engine. Performance is very 'peaky' hence to realise the performance of this vehicle nothing great happens until around 5500-6000 rpm. The mi16 race cars would only work between 8000-1000.
    I have an 8 valve 405 that I would happilly put against an mi16, I admit it is not standard and I am running some mi16 components. I have dyno'd 147hp at the wheels !
    To your original question there are 2 mi16s I know of for sale in Auckland under $9000.00
    Happy hunting.
    If you want to talk Peugeot call:

Greg Kent Automotive at Diana Drive in Glenfield .

He used to own/manage the peugeot workshop out of Bill Tapper Peugeot dealer. After they shat on him he took all of thier customers.

[This message has been edited by James (edited 01 November 2000).]

Fellow Frogger!
    Hmmmm, I'm sure I've seen sites claiming 180HP from Mi16s, if this is true

What are the easiest/cheapest ways to bring a stock one up to around 160-170 or so? Because I love the 405 body. Seeing as my grandfather was the first NZ importer of Peugeots in the 40s/50s I've always had an interest and my father's had various French cars.

Fellow Frogger!
    There are no cheap or easy ways to get that sort of hp. Check the site pugspares.co.uk you'll see the engine developement can produce upto 300hp normally aspirated. There are alot of cowboys who would absolutely root an engine for little gain in performance. So you need to spend time planning and costing up the work.
    Let me know what you are planning.

Thread Information