505 Boot Lock
  • Help

Thread: 505 Boot Lock

Tadpole

505 Boot Lock

Hi all,
    Great to see an Aussie board for Froggy cars.
    I have owned several over the years, a 403, a 404 converted to a flat tray ute, a lovely 71 504 and now my lady owns an 85 505 gti.

We have a problem at the moment though. We lent the car to my son some time ago and since then have not been able to open the boot! We have tried all combinations of central locking and keys in the boot lock, all to no avail. I know from the tape that came with the car that you can enable a locking mechanism to secure the boot when required. I think my son must have done this by accident and now we have no idea how to disable it.

The boot key only turns through 180 degrees and not to the point where you can't extract the key as the manual states. I have considered undoing the bolts holding the lock, with the rear seats removed but this seems a bit drastic.

Advertisement

Would anyone out there have any suggestions as to what we should do? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The luggage compartment in the 505 (and also the 504 and 405) is separated from the back seat by a welded sheet metal bulkhead. It is impossible to get into the boot/trunk via the back seat. I think the main reason for this design is safety. In an accident, heavy articles of luggage are prevented from entering the cabin. This is unfortunate if you cannot open the lock.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Troppopeugeot:
    Hi all,
    Great to see an Aussie board for Froggy cars.
    I have owned several over the years, a 403, a 404 converted to a flat tray ute, a lovely 71 504 and now my lady owns an 85 505 gti.

We have a problem at the moment though. We lent the car to my son some time ago and since then have not been able to open the boot! We have tried all combinations of central locking and keys in the boot lock, all to no avail. I know from the tape that came with the car that you can enable a locking mechanism to secure the boot when required. I think my son must have done this by accident and now we have no idea how to disable it.

The boot key only turns through 180 degrees and not to the point where you can't extract the key as the manual states. I have considered undoing the bolts holding the lock, with the rear seats removed but this seems a bit drastic.

Would anyone out there have any suggestions as to what we should do? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Thread Information