504 ti
  • Help

Thread: 504 ti

Sam
    Tadpole

504 ti

I'm wondering about the availabilty of a new head for a 504 TI
    wondering if its possible to still get new one from somewhere in Aust. or overseas?
    Hopefully you guys will know someone who has one and what its worth
    thanks
    Sam

Advertisement

Hi Sam,

The best bet up here in brisbane would be Peugeot Auto Recyclers at Everton Hills
    ph: 3353 4057 or
    4/29 timms rd (bit hard to find!)

Yours Nick Watson
    Peugeot GTi Autosport Club
    <a href="http://www.pugaction.com" target="_blank">http://www.pugaction.com</a>

Fellow Frogger!
    Well I have one here $250.00 NZD or around $190.00 AUS

Sam
    Tadpole
    Originally posted by James:
    Well I have one here $250.00 NZD or around $190.00 AUS
    Hello James,
    how much do you reckon it would cost me in shipping???
    Also, what sort of condition is this TI HEAD of yours in?
    thanks
    Sam

Fellow Frogger!
    About $60 NZD to freight, 10 - 15 days delivery.
    The head is on a running engine, is not warped and has no corosion or cracks.

Now I finally have the Kugelfischer engine in my 1982 504 Familiale, do I consider it to be a TI?

Problems have manifested themselves, though, and I am after some advice. The engine has been built up in the original block using the injection system from a car which had to rod bolts come undone, the head is quite reasonable and it's all bolted together fairly well, I think, with the exception of me not being able to fit the proper oil bath air cleaner.

The pistons in the pump were found to be siezed... the engine that blew up did so about 8 months ago, as far as I know, so we freed them up, but still couldn't get the engine to idle at less than about 2500 rpm. There's definitely something wrong with the thing as it won't respond to accelerator input.

Anyone had experience with troubleshooting these systems when they haven't been run for a while?

email me please ... raybell@eisa.net.au

I've been told that the little pistons in the pump seizing, is a common thing when the pump hasn't been used in a while.

Even though I've got two complete sets of injection gear, I've never been game to try them on my road car. I've heard too many stories of frustration, from people who have tried to get a TI engine running properly after it had been lying around for a while.

Two years ago I helped a friend convert his 504 to a TI engine. This engine was modified by Colliers some years ago and the 504 flew for the first week or so after we put the engine in (it did some choice burnouts!!!). After that it developed some problem similar to what you're describing (lack of responce to accelerator input). My friend eventually got so frustrated with the car that he sold it for spares and the body eventually went to the recycler. This was very sad because he bought it only a few years before as a low mileage, zero rust, little old lady car. I feel that if I hadn't helped him stick the TI engine in the car, that car would probably still be alive now.

Not that I'm against Kugelfischer injection. I think it's great. It's just a hassle sometimes when they're not running right and it takes a while to figure out why. You can buy new after market EFI ECU's for about $500 now, and I think using them with the TI manifolding would often be better value for money than trying to get the bugs out of an old Kugelfisher system.

Regards,
    Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Yes, that's Owen Wuillemin's take on the current situation.

I think all that's left for me is to become an expert on the things...

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    if the TI engine is not idling beloew 2000-2500RPM check the diaphragm on the top of the pump
    they are the most common cause for your symptoms
    also check all your other hoses on the manifold log for cracks but as you have lack of throttle response i'd be getting a new diaphragm
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

We've actually found a major air leak in the plunger below the temperature control, but that's become the least of my problems... with 17km up the thing now has a bearing rattle... six weeks of unending effort and now it does this to me!

A loose conrod bolt... they were tensioned properly and then rechecked when the whole lot was done... what do you reckon about that?

It's probably worth noting on this thread that the distributor on the TI is different to the regular distributor, and will not interchange without altering the position of the distributor drive shaft about two teeth on the camshaft gear... and best of French luck to you doing that!

Anyone who has a spare TI distributor in any condition is welcome to email me on raybell@eisa.net.au... two of my engines came without them!

Fellow Frogger!
    Hi Ray,

I might be full of it but I remember someone mentioning that the type of oil in the injector pump is important too, couldn't hurt to check that?- as well as the oil level, you never know it could be the simple things!! (I'm thinking positively here....)

Have you checked the injectors too- if the car has been sitting for some time perhaps there is crud in the fuel - do the fuel filters need replacing? My 17 went through 3 filters before I woke up and pulled the very rusty fuel tank out!

Any way, these are basic ideas just thought it may be worth voicing them, and to give you some support- stick with it, the TI's go sooo much better than the carb versions (std) that I'm sure it'll be worth the grief!

Seeya, Ben

The oil gets pumped in from the oil pump... it's the engine oil... but perhaps the oil in the top chamber might be different, where the diaphragms are...

Checked the injectors by running them individually on a line... fine... apparently... so many filters on the line it's almost crazy, fuel is getting through at good pressure.

Tadpole
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ray Bell:
    The oil gets pumped in from the oil pump... it's the engine oil... but perhaps the oil in the top chamber might be different, where the diaphragms are...

Checked the injectors by running them individually on a line... fine... apparently... so many filters on the line it's almost crazy, fuel is getting through at good pressure.

Ray
    Found reference for 404 Peugeot injection pump oil=ESSO OLEOFLUID 40 EP (0.4 LITRES)
    Cheers
    Owen

con
    Fellow Frogger!
    Ray,

I happen to have some training notes for the KF5 & KF6 engines. The pump oil should be replaced every 18 months or 50k kms. The amount depends on engine type: the KF5 is 0.15lts and the KF6 is 0.4lts. The oil type is: Shellx100 W10 or Essolube W10 or Castrol HiSPIN AWS 32.

The distrubutor you need is Ducillier M53 curve.

Let me know if you need any other details.

con.... 02 9209-7495

con
    Fellow Frogger!
    Ray,

Found something else (on the last page, of course!) a correction:

It is only the KF5 pump that uses the oils mentioned in previous message. The KF6 uses normal engine oil (20w/30/40).

The are also 3 pages of adjustment instructions; includes info for new engines!

con.....

Thread Information