smokey engine
  • Help

Thread: smokey engine

Tadpole

smokey engine

hi from the uk can any one suggest why my 405 td has started to blow a large cloud of black smoke out when its first started in the morning it does not do it again all day help

Advertisement

Tadpole
    I'm no expert but it sounds like piston ring problem. If I was you I would get a compression test done. It would give you some kind of indication (low compression in 1 of the cylinders). When the engine is cold, oil gets in the cylinder but when hot the metal and rings expand and there is less. Hope this helps.

------------------

Fellow Frogger!
    Nine times out of ten its the glow plugs. Your car may not be running on all four initially but runs better as it warms. I would suggest "glowing" the plugs for a bit longer then starting, but it seems replacing them may give the best results. These engines are fairly bullet proof, I have a friend who has just replaced a head gaskit on his srdt 340000 kms !
    Look for any sign of leaking from the head gaskit.

Tadpole
    Originally posted by arty b:
    hi from the uk can any one suggest why my 405 td has started to blow a large cloud of black smoke out when its first started in the morning it does not do it again all day help

Tadpole
    Good,ay Arty,
    I,ve got a 405 srdt, it,s done 135,000k and in the morning when it,s stone cold it blows a puff of black smoke. When it,s warm much less. Now, I,m not concerned about it because I constantly monitor the fuel economy on every fill since I bought it new in ,95. I still get 42 mpg around town & 48mpg on the highway. If there is any deterioration anywhere I would pick it up monitoring the fuel economy. I would not notice an incremental decrease in power.
    Now, if a glow plug is not working the engine will run rough for a few seconds after start. The glow plug timer takes care of the glow plug time according to engine temp. You must also remember that with the engine cold, the high idle is activated which means more fuel is going in. I also always use a fuel additive to keep those injectors clean.

Thread Information