Channel Seven takes over TCR and S5000 Free-to-Air next year
  • Help
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Kim Luck
  • 4 Post By Fordman

Thread: Channel Seven takes over TCR and S5000 Free-to-Air next year

Default Channel Seven takes over TCR and S5000 Free-to-Air next year

Channel 7 has announced a deal with ARG to broadcast TCR, S5000, and other ARG categories free-to-air in 2020.

SBS has done a good job of introducing TCR, and without it I, for one, would not know TCR existed, and their coverage has been more than adequate IMO, but there has been criticism from those who probably expect the high level of broadcast that costs lots of money. However, Seven should bring us that high level of coverage, so all is good.

Obviously, the ARG group have big goals, and investing a large amount of cash into the sport generally, which hopefully broadens the audience without becoming so commercial as to turn fans away.

Advertisement

Bring on 2020.

https://www.tcraustralia.com/tcr-aus...deal-on-seven/

Chris M.
    2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

"Television expands the mind a whole 21 inches", said Stan Freeberg back in the fifties. Nothing changes, but the SBS coverage together with "Shannons Nationals" was pretty good for a low budget operation. I doubt whether SEVEN will have 20+ cameras at each round, and the amount of racing footage will decline proportionally with the amount of advertising they receive, a la Bathurst and every other nationally televised sport. Is this a step up or a step backwards? Time will tell, but I'm hoping TCR becomes bigger than Texas!
    Dano likes this.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

It's a real double-edged sword.

I'm of the opinion that you can't get something for nothing, therefore if I get my motorsport on free-to-air TV, I expect to watch a reasonable number of commercials. I dislike the current trend to bring out a Safety Car for even minor incidents, but there is the opportunity for a few more commercials under the SC without interrupting the race.

The other factor is that team sponsors (ie, advertisers) are apparently walking away from payTV because they claim to be ad-free (during a race for example), sort of defeating the purpose, and this is where the income to the teams comes more from the payTV company (ie, the subscribers paying for the ad-free service). The balance is that a commercial broadcaster (ie, Seven) may generate more team/car sponsorships because more of their visible advertising is getting out to a wider audience. Hopefully this will be good for the TCR category, as I believe the car models being raced are directly of interest to the general public, and may generate good sponsor support. I wonder if this is in fact, what ARG are aiming for in the expansion of their business in motorsport (because that's what it is) by going FTA TV.

Let's hope that Seven strike a good balance between quality and time of coverage, and the quantity of commercials we need to endure!

Cheers
    Kim Luck, David M, JohnW and 1 others like this.
    2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

Double-edged sword indeed. I presume no-one is streaming it? I quite enjoy the Le Mans coverage.

I hesitantly agree with you given the whole situation. No manufacturer has ever raced for other than commercial purposes, promoting the product, really, although some have argued about racing being used to develop the street cars (maybe a smattering of truth there).

Interruptions with repetitive ads is truly irritating, the Dakar Rally coverage being a fine example, half an hour of which about a third is the same ads over and over again.

Thanks for posting - I had no idea this had happened. I'll have to see whether our TV remembers where a commercial channel is stored...
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thread Information