XU5 M lockdown project.

Yes, If I fit the highly expensive Cometic gasket then find other problems it wont be good.

I may never need to use this engine, if I solve the chucking coolant problem of the one in the car.

What was the history of the head? Did it come from a working engine? I’m wondering if it’s bowed.

Came off Dave's (Citroen BX in Brisbane) engine. This is the 1.6 that started this conversation, not your old 16 valve that we have been talking about above.

Cometic gaskets have a whole different set of issues to the copper. They are extremely sensitive to the head and block surface finish. They too need to be torqued down with massive pressure as they only seal when the raised sections of the gaskets flatten out.
I have stopped using them in the Lotus motors that i build. Too much hassle.

Cometic gaskets have a whole different set of issues to the copper. They are extremely sensitive to the head and block surface finish. They too need to be torqued down with massive pressure as they only seal when the raised sections of the gaskets flatten out.
I have stopped using them in the Lotus motors that i build. Too much hassle.
Thanks for that! I'll just do the full angle tighten on the 16v with copper gasket and maybe take a bit off the pistons and use standard gasket if I have leakage problems with the copper one. Should get the 1.6 back together today, depends on whether the stock head needs work or not, find out from head guy.