XU10J2 Oil Leak from Head Gasket

ausmbtech

Tadpole
I've had a minor oil weep from the head gasket behind the timing belt for a while. It's become more like a constant drip when it's cold and settles a little when warmed up. I know that I really need to replace the head gasket but has anyone had any luck re-torquing the headbolts for a temporary fix (I just want to reduce the leak for a few months) or am I wasting my time?

Thanks

At the back? A leak here is a famous "feature" of the engine. The bolts are already stretch torqued, and I would be cautious about stretching further.

Check it's not the cam cover leaking there. Another feature.

It's enough of a leak cold that I can see a drip every 5 seconds or so. I can clearly see the cam seal isn't leaking and the rocker cover gasket was changed 6 months ago. Unless I've got a crack in the rocker cover (which I would think would leak more when hot) I can't see oil any higher than the block/head mating surface.

I'd taking all the covers off, cleaning it all up and having a very close look. As said, tightening a head bolt will probably lead to tears when you snap one off in the block. If the HG is leaking, then you'll need to repair the problem properly.