Xsara Vts Window died

mattg

Fellow Frogger
Hi All

Well it has happend. The drivers door on my VTS has given way and has died. Has anyone bought a replacement from andyspares? if so was it a "citroen" replacement or aftermarket brand if get what I'm saying.

I believe it is the cable that breaks, I'll be taking the trim off to chuck a bit of wood in there to keep the window up and will understand better then but I was goin to take it to an engineer mate to see if he can replace the cable. If he can hopfully we might be able to work out a way to recondition these regulators and save everybody alot of mony and stop them repeatedly breaking. I can't believe the dealer wants $600 for the part.:eek:

Cheers

Matt

This is just a thought, but has anyone tried taking one of these to one of these guys who make up clutch and accelerator cables by any chance?
I remember Peter Routs from Newcastle had a speedo cable made up for his BX16V by a guy in Melbourne and it was tailor made for the car and a lot less than dealer price.
By this stage you'd have to reckon someone's found a shortcut.

Alan S:2cents:

Are there any pix of what the guts of these things look like?

I'm curious and have already been warned to expect a similar scenario with the Pug. It's the same setup from what I hear.

Did I hear someone say 'built in obsolescence'? :blackeye:

I have suspicions that it's more a case of built in factory propaganda like used to be the case with spheres (can't be recharged) cambelts (can't be changed unless you have a Seems tester) and so on.
Having worked in my trade, it's amazing what can be reconditioned; all it takes is someone to discover there's a quid in it and we're away.:wink2:

Alan S :cheers: