XN1 pulley exchange

Ahing6

Tadpole
Hello everyone, i just switched out a 2 groove pulley on my '84 505Gr for a 3 groove one to accommodate the A/C compressor i am about to install and also the oil sump. Aren't all pulleys created the same? Now after putting everything back together there is a slight scraping noise:cry:. Will this be the timing chain cover and how the heck do i center it for sure? Haynes says wrap tape around neck of pulley, but idk ...sounds kinda iffy to me. Maybe it's the power steering pump? It spins kinda wobbly since refitted the pulley also.

Cheers.

Attachments

• Image00014.jpg
    Image00014.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 142
  • Image00015.jpg
    Image00015.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 149
  • Image00016.jpg
    Image00016.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 148
  • Image00017.jpg
    Image00017.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Ahing6
Wrapping tape around the nose or threaded part of the pulley is an alternative to having the special alignment sleeve, [peugeot tool.]
it is necessary for the timing cover to be loosely fitted before checking the pulley clearance with tape or tool.
I have been fortunate in the past to have fitted pulleys with no problems.

I see where your alternator has to suffer the indignity of being relegated to the underside of the engine. Worse operating conditions for same! Necessary of course with air con.

Oh, be careful when fitting the pulley the key in the crank can be 'dislocated' creating problems ie wobbly pulley. but you don't want to know that?:nownow:

Last edited:
Hey thanks Wilder. First thing i did after wrapping it in tape was trying to refit it onto the shaft before loosening the timing chain cover and it was difficult. Took it back off and saw where the tape got bunched up. Put back on fresh piece tape, loosen up all 11mm bolts and wow it slid right in ! Then i patiently tightened up the cover bolts a lil bit at a time. Removed tape and tightened up crank nut, started up engine and all is well:)

My previous 505s were a Douvrin equipped engine with a crank seal and one with an SR20DET engine:nownow: That was very much a pain in the arse to deal with. Wish i never bought it.

Attachments

• red pull.jpg
    red pull.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 125