xantia vibrations...any hints anyone?

acreid

Fellow Frogger
I have just made a great leap forward into 1990's motoring, with the purchase of a Xantia. :D

But I find that there is a repetitive drumming kind of vibration that starts at 90kph and goes through to 110kph plus. Thought I had a flat tire at first. Sensation is like driving over small corrugations... but they ain't in the road. Feels like it comes from the rear, no vibration through the steering wheel. Could be a rear wheel out of round. Or could a problem in the hydropnuematics cause this, eg sphere requiring re-gassing? Anyone else had this problem, and found the answer?

acreid said:
I have just made a great leap forward into 1990's motoring, with the purchase of a Xantia. :D

But I find that there is a repetitive drumming kind of vibration that starts at 90kph and goes through to 110kph plus. Thought I had a flat tire at first. Sensation is like driving over small corrugations... but they ain't in the road. Feels like it comes from the rear, no vibration through the steering wheel. Could be a rear wheel out of round. Or could a problem in the hydropnuematics cause this, eg sphere requiring re-gassing? Anyone else had this problem, and found the answer?

Suggest you check your tires ASAP, for you to feel a tire vibrating on a hydraulic Cit the tires already to the "REALLY BAD" stage. Try swapping the tires front to back, if the symptoms immediatly changes, there most certainly the problem.

BTW: Spheres, the only impact they will have if flat is on the ride comfort. The car will ride poorly with them down to about 50% pressure, and like a go-kart with flat tires when dead (ie: NO suspension at all :eek: ).

seeya,
Shane L.

most likely the tyres!

I have a 94 Xantia VSX with 195/55 R15's around 15,000km on this set. I *USED* to take it to the local Bob Jane, but they never seemed to be able to get it right with exactly the symptoms you describe and I was lucky to get 20000km out of a set.

Took it to a smaller Dunlop dealer, had the fronts moved to the back and had someone who knew how to balance the wheels properly. Slight toe in correction but the alignment was pretty much spot on anyway so that ruled it out.

VOILA! Like a shot out of a gun, beautiful.

With the low sidewall height, he has set them to run at 44psi front and 40 rear (sounds ridiculous I know but seems to work). It is sliiiiightly firmer, but hey, no more vibration so there you go.

Watch out for the passenger front tyre outside shoulder to wear abnormally, from other boards I've seen this is a not unheard of problem and my Xantia is a case in point.

DK :)

danielkissell said:
I have a 94 Xantia VSX with 195/55 R15's around 15,000km on this set. I *USED* to take it to the local Bob Jane, but they never seemed to be able to get it right with exactly the symptoms you describe and I was lucky to get 20000km out of a set.

Took it to a smaller Dunlop dealer, had the fronts moved to the back and had someone who knew how to balance the wheels properly. Slight toe in correction but the alignment was pretty much spot on anyway so that ruled it out.

VOILA! Like a shot out of a gun, beautiful.

With the low sidewall height, he has set them to run at 44psi front and 40 rear (sounds ridiculous I know but seems to work). It is sliiiiightly firmer, but hey, no more vibration so there you go.

Watch out for the passenger front tyre outside shoulder to wear abnormally, from other boards I've seen this is a not unheard of problem and my Xantia is a case in point.

DK :)

Another person who has experienced BJ's so called wheel balancing...

I think most later Cits wear the passenger front tyre premmie as we all like to hurl them around roundeeebouts!:headbang:

I concur with previous suggestions re moving wheels around to trace the problem.

I'd agree with these guys - check the tyres first. Have found that not all tyre places can correctly balance wheels without the centre hole - are yours like this? Symptoms seem to match.

Sputnik said:
I'd agree with these guys - check the tyres first. Have found that not all tyre places can correctly balance wheels without the centre hole - are yours like this? Symptoms seem to match.

Sounds like tyres to me too. I've the slightest of vibrations through that speed range too, but can only notice it when on particularly smooth bitumen. I've always considered that there is a slight balance problem.

Do let us know the outcome. Oh, and hope you enjoy the Xantia too - they're much better than the non-French-car people understand.

JohnW

JohnW said:
Sounds like tyres to me too. I've the slightest of vibrations through that speed range too, but can only notice it when on particularly smooth bitumen. I've always considered that there is a slight balance problem.

Do let us know the outcome. Oh, and hope you enjoy the Xantia too - they're much better than the non-French-car people understand.

JohnW

Thanks to all of you, guys, for the feedback. I am moving my tyres front to back, and if there is anything of interest to report (in the interests of furthering the sum of human Citroen knowledge) I'll let you all know!

cheers

Xantia vibration

I also had an annoying vibration/drumming after buying my Xantia. Had the wheels balanced but no improvement. However the tech did admit that he couldn't get one wheel "quite right". As the car had alloys fitted, I had that particular wheel/tyre carefully checked. As I suspeted, not quite round. It was on the rear, but it was probably moved there after it was "curbed" whislt on the front, or similarly abused. I had it re-rounded & the vibration isn't there now. If your car has alloys, may be worth checking. ANother point about "drumming/virbation too - I know of someone else who tracked this annoying factor down to the exhaust system touching the body of the car near the rear & creating a vibration. (Easily checked by noting revs against speed I guess).
Paul