Xantia V6 or CT???

cam740

Fellow Frogger
After reading Pips' and Stalled's threads on the Xantia's i have been doing a little bit of research on teh Xantia's (on the rare occasions they were covered by mainstream motor mags!!) and i have a few questions!

I like the IDEA of either the 99 V6 Exclusive or the 97 CT but have a few questions relating to the performance of both the cars!

I had an Mi16 a few years ago and the only thing about it was that it wasn't THAT toey off the lights and i'd like something that has some zip off the lights as well as having the ability to corner well and midrange overtaking!

how different are the appointments betwwen the 2 cars??

is the auto in the cit the same as the pug 406??

any other suggestions of a car thats gonna handle and go as well while still having storage space??

it also needs to be fairly flexible in its ability to carry stock for work!

thanks guys

Last edited:
cam740 said:
After reading Pips' and Stalled's threads on the Xantia's i have been doing a little bit of research on teh Xantia's (on the rare occasions they were covered by mainstream motor mags!!) and i have a few questions!

I like the IDEA of either the 99 V6 Exclusive or the 97 CT but have a few questions relating to the performance of both the cars!

I had an Mi16 a few years ago and the only thing about it was that it wasn't THAT toey off the lights and i'd like something that has some zip off the lights as well as having the ability to corner well and midrange overtaking!

how different are the appointments betwwen the 2 cars??

is the auto in the cit the same as the pug 406??

any other suggestions of a car thats gonna handle and go as well while still having storage space??

it also needs to be fairly flexible in its ability to carry stock for work!

thanks guys
The CT turbo, I'm fairly sure, only came as a manual, the V6 Exclusive only as an auto. The CT turbo's quoted acceleration was 0-100 in 10.4, but the in-gear times were more telling and it certainly feels quicker than that. Its fairly refined, but the V6 is a more deilghtful engine IMHO; smooth and sonorous. Quicker on paper (about high 8's 0-100 I think). I suppose the extra weight over the front wheels might make the V6 less chuckable than the CT, but I was impressed by the feel of the V6; a little firmer than our SX (non-hydractive) but handled slightly better on wider rubber. The thing I didn't take to was the auto adaptive gearbox in the V6, and I have heard of slightly scary bills for auto rebuilds in 406's. Plus it must be less economical than the CT

Still, I reckon either engine has the power the chassis deserves, plus extra refinement. I think the V6 's had the ergo seats in leather, but equipment was otherwise similar. I'd plump for the V6 in view of the extra refinement (and ?insurance issues) - that silky engine is just made for wafty Xantias.

If the V6 Xantia is the 24 valve version, I'd suggest you sit down, have read of this, think about it, take a Bex, lie down and when you feel strong enough to get up, go buy a CT turbo.

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16754

I have heard these horror stories before on this engine, so unless you're prepared to spend big dollars getting the dealer to do the job, (4 figures I understand) I'd leave well alone as it's a job that I reckon even I would baulk at.

Alan S