Xantia`s

Alan Macoustra

Tadpole
I`m looking @ buying a Xantia as an every day vehicle. Driving to and from work, 32-40k,per day,plus normal family duties. So, how good/bad are they? Are the turbo ones that much better? What would fuel consumption be like?"Re, turbo/non-turbo,manual/auto? But most importently will they fit a 9'6"malibu surfboard inside and still close the hatch? How is rear seat leg room[2 tall teenage girls] is rear seat ride wallowly? Oh is a/c COLD!! :confused:

They have sold literally millions of them all over the world as a family car .... So I can't see why one wouldn't be able to do 40km a day :roflmao:

The air-con in them is quite good. My recomendation would be an 8 or 16 valve 5spd VSX. I haven't drive a CT turbo. they are not a fast car, they are a proper french designed turbo, ie: very little lag, but had Contant Torque ...ie: there's always power under foot as it's always got heaps of torque as that's what the turbo instalation is designed to give you.

I'd suggest your only choice is to take you daughters and a surfboard for a drive in one and see if they fit. 10' may fit in, but I imagine it'll be bloody annoying right through the whole length of the car

seeya,
Shane L.

Thank you for a quick reply. The surfboard would only keep inside when away from vehicle , :wink2: although tealeaves would have to be pretty fit as board weights 15kg!!

You may be best looking for a Xantia wagon as these IIRC are a little longer and some may have split fold rear seats too.

Alan Macoustra said:
I`m looking @ buying a Xantia as an every day vehicle. Driving to and from work, 32-40k,per day,plus normal family duties. So, how good/bad are they? Are the turbo ones that much better? What would fuel consumption be like?"Re, turbo/non-turbo,manual/auto? But most importently will they fit a 9'6"malibu surfboard inside and still close the hatch? How is rear seat leg room[2 tall teenage girls] is rear seat ride wallowly? Oh is a/c COLD!! :confused:

I use one as an everyday driver & reckon they're ideal for that. I've done close to 30K klms in mine with no real dramas possibly as reliable a Cit as you will get. Mine's done up around 230K klms.
Mine's a 5 speed manual and gets good fuel consumption (9.5/10L - 100 klms around town and around 6.8/7.3 on trips) Turbos & 16V models I've been told aren't quite as economical.
If you feel inclined to look at an auto, suggest you get hold of service records and if the words Dexron 111 appear, be cautious as a frw have been destroyed through the use of that in the transmissions.
The "plank" should go close as I had a brushcutter and a few rakes and things in my backseat a couple of weeks ago.
Legroom; my 3 sons range from 6'1" to 6' 5" and I've had the three of them in there several times without complaints. Seats in a Xantia are firm yet comfy and the ride (in my VSX anyway) is anything but wallowy.
Air/con is climate control and is as cold as you want it. It's not BX type coldness (ice on windscreen, passengers turning blue) but I've never yet had anyone complain it wasn't cold enough, in fact most comment on just how pleasant it is and it doesn't seem to affect the fuel economy.

If I was buying a car tommorrow I would put it at the top of the list and FWIW, there's a couple for sale on this forum if you do a search.

Alan S:cheers:

Alan M
They are very reliable cars really and the gear change on the autos I have been told is smoother than the C5. :D

Hi

Just traded ours after 10 years of very happy and semi-reliable motoring. Very, very well built structure, interior, engine, gearbox. Hydraulics are very well sorted and also reliable. Ancillary electrics are a bit of a nuisance at times to be honest, but then aside from certain Japanese vehicles such problems are the luck of the draw with most older cars. The series 2 does have some upgrades and hence may be more reliable and all engines are 16v. Cost a bit more too though.

The back seat is supremely comfortable. I am 183cm and could comfortably sit behind myself. The ride is just superb back there, as is the lack of suspension and mechanical noise. In fact I used to drink excessively when we went out for dinner in it just so as I could travel home in the back. :clown:

A/C is not as cold as Subaru/Holden/Ford etc. It does the job fine but its working pretty hard in traffic on 35-plus degree humid days.

Fuel consumption for 8-valve manual from 8's on the highway to 12's in heavy inner-urban running with a/c on.

Personally I think they are a bargain second hand buy as the build quality is really high and they drive like nothing else. They get under your skin.

Thanks every one, for your input. Now the hunt begins! Having just filled the dunnydore,42L @ $1.28/L,I`ll have an earnest disscusion with my resident accountant.:wink2:

Alan Macoustra said:
Now the hunt begins!

Enjoy the hunt Alan. Plenty of bargains out there.

Don't catch the Stalled disease 'though - can't seem to find them even when they jump up and bite him on the ass :joker:

Alan, we bought one 2 months ago. 97 model SX auto. So far so good. I drove it back to Adelaide from sydney, got 38 miles to the gallon, best car I've ever driven long distance & I'm 6' 2". Haven't driven it since due to medical issues but SWMBO loves it.She drives it to work twice a week, 150klm round trip each time. She really loves it. While I've been riding shotgun I've spent some time in the back. Probably the best place to sit in the car.
I thought some one on here had one for sale too, might be worth a post asking the question.
Dom

What?

Trixie said:
Hi

I am 183cm and could comfortably sit behind myself..

I knew you could be beside yourself, but comfortably behind....
I s'pose there's no harm in trying!

harrisson_citroen said:
I knew you could be beside yourself, but comfortably behind....
I s'pose there's no harm in trying!
:D Well nobody else ever stands behind me, so if somebody has to, I'm it :cry:

We bought a '95 vsx Manual in december, and have just gone camping near jamieson in the high country and it went great. With 2 kids and lots of camping gear it was very full - anyone got some roof racks they want to sell? Bit too easy going around corners - well at legal speeds.

Handled all the rough stuff well despite the spheres needing a regas. And the aircon did well in the 40+ weather. It seems as long as it's gassed up and has a clean filter it's fine.